Powered by Blogger.

baby steps

Friday, February 9, 2007

It's just a small step...but at least it's one in the right direction.
I think I may have found someone to do our homestudy.
I don't know why it's taken as long as it has. It shouldn't be that hard really - just look someone up in the phone book or call an agency you have used before.

We tried using a former agency.
When we lived in Kansas (the first time) they went out of their way to help us, when we lived in Iowa (for the last two adoptions) they drove an hour and a half each way to help us out.
Now that we're back in Kansas we thought it would be as easy as picking up the phone. Unfortunately for us, their local office is in Missouri...and they don't do adoption homestudies.
So...
I've been spending a lot of time over the past few weeks trying to track someone down. Our former agency gave me the name of someone in Kansas City, but they don't do homestudies any more. I tried calling the person who had done our follow-up reports on our previous adoption - but she has since moved to Arizona! I scoured the internet, but couldn't find anyone from our area. My husband called some agencies in KC, but they want to charge an arm and a leg and then top it off with mileage! I found some state social worker organizations - but the best they could do was offer me a website I had already searched, give me a phone number for the state licensing board and tell me as a last resort I could put an ad in the paper! I called the state licensing board and they offered to sell me their list of social workers in our area for $15! I don't think so.
So I went back to the drawing board...back to my journalism roots.
I started the same way I would any story I'm working on...I called my sources. And one of them may have come through.
It's amazing how when you're in the midst of something it can all seem so complicated...until you take a step back and look at the whole picture. Sometimes the answer is staring you in the face.
So keep your fingers crossed and pray hard that this lead pans out.
At least that way it will be a baby step in the right direction.

0 salty messages:

Post a Comment

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP