Powered by Blogger.

home invasion

Thursday, March 22, 2007

We're preparing for a home invasion.
Our homestudy is next Saturday.
This part of the process always makes me a bit nervous. I'm not sure why, really...we've never had a problem. But there's something about inviting someone into your home to judge your qualifications as a parent that gives me the willies.
My biggest problem, I guess, is I don't know what they're looking for. For our first homestudy in '99 our adoption agency told us we needed to make sure our cupboards had child-proof locks and all of our smoke detectors were working. She never looked.
For the homestudy in '02 we had other families tell us to make sure we had outlet covers, fire extinguishers and all medication stored away. We ended up having to ask her if she wanted to tour the house.
This time I don't know what to do. Part of me is getting ready to go out and stock up on outlet covers and child-proof locks (it's been years since we've needed them), but another part of me wants to call her up and asking what she'll be looking for!
Then there's the matter of cleaning up. For our first home-study I got on my hands and knees and scrubbed our kitchen floor till it shined. For the second home-study I mopping with a Swiffer Wet Jet. This time she'll be lucky if I run a dust-buster over the floor before she gets here. Just kidding...that's what I have kids for! ;)
There's also my big fear of the unknown. Will someone totally misbehave while she's here forcing us to prove we can parent without using corporal punishment? Part of the interview includes questions about your discipline style...and we tell them the truth - spanking is one of our many discipline tools. But there is no way I'm going to spank a child while she is there. You can count on it.
In my head I know everything will be just fine. She sounds incredibly nice and understanding over the phone...and this isn't rocket science. We're a nice, well-adjusted family. Something would have to go horribly wrong for us not to be approved.
Still it makes me nervous...and I have to wait a week for it all to be over.

0 salty messages:

Post a Comment

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP