Powered by Blogger.

statement of faith

Friday, March 2, 2007

I picked Q up from school the other day and as we were walking toward the door, one of his teachers asked me to step into her office for a minute. I told Q to go on ahead to the playground and I'd be there in a little bit.
Worried that something was wrong, I hurried back to her office. She smiled as she shut the door and said, 'Don't worry. He's doing great. I just wanted to let you know what he told me today.'
Evidentally they were reading a book that had some scary undertones to it. It was about a gang who terrorized a town by spray painting graffiti on walls and stealing stuff from people. One of the things Q is working on with this teacher is learning about cause and effect in literature...analyzing the text trying to figure out what is going on and what will happen next. It's an area he struggles with...a deficiency left over from his time in the orphanage.
She asked him questions, trying to get him to figure out what was going on in the story. Where did the boys come from? How do the people feel that they are terrorizing? If they don't stop doing these kinds of things what will happen to them?
Then she asked him the question, "Why do you think the boys are doing this?"
Without hesitating he said, "Because they don't know Jesus!"
Wow! My own little missionary. Isn't it amazing how insightful and unafraid these little guys can be? He hasn't faced rejection yet, everything is cut and dried...black and white. There are no excuses...no hesitation...no fear. He just laid it all out on the line for her.
'Q,' she said. 'You're right. They probably don't know Jesus.'
She said it made her cry.
It made me cry too.
I cried because now I know what we're teaching him is sticking. It's becoming his own faith...one that he is not afraid to share with others. And it's so good to know that he cares about other people's spiritual health...worried about whether they know Jesus or not.
I also cried, because in him I see a promise. I know I've said it before - and I don't want to sound like we're some sort of heroes because we brought them home. We feel blessed and selfish in our parenting of Q, K & J. But at the same time God pulled these children out of terrible circumstances and lent them to S and I for a time. We get the blessing of raising them to follow God's purpose...whatever that may be.
No matter what God has in store for his future, I'm so proud of the boy Q is and the man God is shaping him to become. And I know God will use him in big ways because he has the courage to make a simple statement of faith.

1 salty messages:

Missy March 3, 2007 at 7:10 PM  

That is amazing! Thank the Lord your little one is so trusting in Jesus and so tender hearted for others! I have to admit..tears welled up in my eyes with that story!

Post a Comment

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP