Powered by Blogger.

'calling dr. killjoy'

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Remember the other day when I bragged about how great it was to live in a small town? About how easy it was going to be to get into the doctor and get our physicals taken care of? About how that was one of the great benefits of living where everyone knows you and wants to help?
Forget it.
All of it.
I was wrong.
There is no such thing as 'small town utopia.'
It doesn't exist!
Apparently living in a small town is going to make completing our dossier THAT much more complicated. Let me give you an example.
I called our doctor's office yesterday expectating to hear a friendly voice that was willing to help. What I got instead was the run-around. Now I know why we can always get in to see the doctor on just an hours notice! Meshack could have had his appointment that very afternoon...but they don't have a notary. 'No big deal,' I thought. 'Surely we can work this out.'
She promptly told me his only option was to go to their other office 25 miles away to have the exam. He would also have to start over as a new patient, which means waiting a couple of weeks for an appointment.
'Can't you just send the paperwork with the doctor to the other office to have it notarized,' I innocently asked. Oh, no. We wouldn't want to do that. It might get lost. 'Could we bring in our own notary?' Oh, I wouldn't want you to go through all that trouble, it would just be so much easier for you to go to our other clinic! 'How do you usually have items notarized?' I go to the bank, but the doctor doesn't have time to do that.
UUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!
I haven't been this frustrated in quite awhile...probably since the last time we adopted and had to have the medicals done! (Different state, different physician, different blog)
So...we are changing doctors. If we're going to have to wait to have the appointment anyway, I might as well get a doctor who will be happy to have me as a patient and office staff who will work with me and not give me the run-around.
I have an appointment at another clinic in town, who is associated with the hospital I prefer anyway. It's not for two weeks, but that's not so bad. They don't have a notary in the office, but the doctor says he can just run across the street to the bank and have it done. Now THAT is what I call service.
In other news...
The other typical benefit of living in a small town is that if you get a home loan from a local bank, you can walk in and get personal service. On our last adoption, our banker not only was eager to help us fill out the forms, but even offered us the use of the notary at absolutely no cost. We didn't pay a dime for any notary signatures!
But when we bought our home three years ago, we found out the banks in our town are not eager to hand out home-loans to new residents. So we went with a big mortgage company based in Virginia. We got a great rate and get pretty decent customer service over the phone, but it's not real personal.
Fast forward to yesterday morning as I'm trying to explain to a customer service representative in Virginia about our need for a 'mortgage statement' saying that our account is in good standing.
Somehow I don't think it quite translated.
She said she would do some checking and get back to me. Meanwhile I e-mailed her the templates...
I didn't hear anything.
So being the pushy broad that I'm quickly turning into, I called them back this morning.
I finally got in touch with someone who seems to actually know what I'm talking about. He said things like, 'Oh yea, we do this all the time.' 'Each country's requirements are different so do you have any instructions,' and 'This needs to be signed in blue ink, right?' I wonder if he's adopted internationally before...that's the only way I can explain it.
I re-e-mailed the documents to him...he said it would take a day or two. WOW! I was expecting a week or two at the very least.
There may be hope.
I'm holding my breath.

2 salty messages:

Karin April 15, 2007 at 9:32 AM  

Oh Tami how I feel for you! I can't imagine that your doctor would not just take it to the bank when he deposits all his checks for the week and getting it notarized there. I just don't understand how hard people make things to be--I think it is just a tendency to assume things must be difficult--it isn't. Most things in life really have a simple solution. I hope this gets resolved soon.

Tami April 15, 2007 at 10:38 AM  

Thankfully I've found another doctor who seems to be a bit more cooperative. And it doesn't hurt that one of the office workers goes to our church...she knows our family pretty well and is eager to help us in any way she can. She's a real blessing!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP