Powered by Blogger.

mission accomplished

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

We've been fingerprinted!
And it didn't hurt at all.
I've been a little stressed about this part of the process. For no other reason, other than I thought it would take all day!
Our oldest, Q-ball had a field trip scheduled for today...they were supposed to be there at 10 a.m. It was the last field trip of the year and reportedly the last time we would be able to accompany him on a field trip. We couldn't miss it!
But today was also the first opportunity we had to get our fingerprints done. If we didn't do it today our work schedules would require waiting at least another two weeks.
Have I mentioned I'm not very good at waiting?
I thought so.
So we decided to do both.
But doing both required surgical precision, ballet balancing and a lot of prayer! The plan was to get to the USCIS before they opened. We hoped (and prayed) that we could be done by 9:45 a.m. so I could drive Meshack over to the field trip location. (Thankfully, it was that close...it could have been a lot worse!)
At oh-dark-thirty this morning we put the plan into action. We got up, got ready, drove the kids to the babysitter (so they could catch a ride to school) and drove the 45 minutes to the USCIS office.
We got there at 7:30 a.m. to a sea of cars in the parking lot!
Being the eternal optimist - I just knew we weren't going to get out of there before noon.
Now here is what I think was the key to our success.
The appointment letter said to show up any time between 8:15 and 3:00 on any Wednesday. Eight years ago when we adopted Q-ball we showed up at 8 a.m. thinking we would be early...we were 20th in line...and ended up waiting over four hours!
This time we showed up at 7:30, but instead of waiting in the car for the doors to open (like everyone else), I went to the door (rain drops and all) and STARTED the waiting line. We were first in line and when the doors finally opened at 8 a.m. we were the first through the metal detectors and the first ones up to the registration counter where the nice guy gave me the #1 card and Meschak #2. They called our numbers promptly at 8:15 and we were out the door 10 minutes later.

I kid you not!
We even took the time to fill out the survey card!
I found out this afternoon we had a lot of people praying for us today, asking for an easy fingerprinting process. Our paperwork coordinator, my best friend, people at work, family and church friends - they were all lifting us up in prayer.
And He was listening!

Not only did Meshack make it to the field trip on time, we even had time to stop at Panera's for some cinnamon bagels with Hazelnut cream cheese! Yum, yum!
And as I prayed before I ate, I thanked God for once again showing me I can trust Him in providing even the little things.

5 salty messages:

Maggie May 24, 2007 at 6:48 AM  

First in line for fingerprints is certainly an accomplishment! I went with two of my friends because their appointment was at the same time. We got there way early and decided to go eat breakfast. When we got back (in plenty of time for the appointment) there was a line out the door. Oops. Live and learn.

Steffie B. May 24, 2007 at 7:33 PM  

What a great day! We love Panera! ;)

Missy May 24, 2007 at 8:15 PM  

As you said, God is a God of miracles! Glad it all worked out so seamlessly!

annmarie,  May 24, 2007 at 8:24 PM  

Yay for fingerprints! Yay for being FIRST! Wooooohoooooo!

Rachael May 25, 2007 at 7:10 AM  

Yeah! Good for you.

We got fingerprinted the day after
Thanksgiving, and we were the only people there. There were like 100 empty seats in that vast waiting room. It was weird. I guess everyone was out shopping that day.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption

Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP