Powered by Blogger.

nothing, nada, zip, zilch, ничего (neecheevo)

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Sigh.
There's nothing going on. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, ничего (neecheevo).

Neecheevo is my new word of the day. It's Russian for 'nothing'. I've decided since there is 'neecheevo' for me to do on the adoption front, the least I can do is learn a Russian word a day.
At least it will keep me busy.
We're at a point in this process where we're at the mercy of someone else and their ability to get things done.
I'm not comfortable with that.
I have to wait on someone else to make the phone calls, process the paperwork, look over the dossier to make sure everything is okay.

There is 'neecheevo' I can do.
I can't call and bug anyone. I can't send off a quick email to get something tracked down. I can't photocopy anything.
I have 'neecheevo' to do but wait.
Have I mentioned I'm not very good at waiting?
I thought so.
I'm starting to feel like a broken record.
I've blogged on this same subject at least five times since I started this blog in March! Besides being tired of complaining about waiting. I'm worried that I'm going to start scaring people off!
Please don't go! I need someone to hear me complain!

So, instead of complaining about 'neecheevo,' I'm going to learn something.
Of course, at this rate I could be fluent by the time we travel.
I hope not.
My word for tomorrow...ожидание (ozhelaneye).
It means 'wait.'
*************
P.S. For anyone who actually knows Russian, please feel free to correct my phonetic spelling. I can't find an online translator that will give me both the Cyrillic and phonetic spellings...so I faked it. I have a feeling I may have really botched it.

7 salty messages:

annmarie,  May 16, 2007 at 6:58 AM  

Oh I'll hang out and wait with you. Wanna split a cheesecake?

Tami May 16, 2007 at 8:52 AM  

Thanks for hangin' out with me! Mmmmm...cheesecake sounds good!

kate May 16, 2007 at 10:00 AM  

nothing is pronounced "neecheevo". wait is "ozhedaneeye" You were really close!

I know nothing is "Ya neezahyoo neecheevo" (that's the closest I can get for you phonetically...).

I think learning a word a day is a great idea!

Rachael May 16, 2007 at 10:19 AM  

Tami,

Thanks for your comments on my blog.

I was going to tell you that Katya says Nee-chee-vo frequently, and I think I understand her to say Nee-chee-vo, not Nee-chee-go. I think it has something to do with the voiced/ voiceless or soft/hard pronunciation of the consonants, which for me is very complicated. But, I see that Kate already filled you in, and she is much better at Russian than I (and a word nerd :)).

Waiting is tough. Complaining is allowed.

Rachael May 16, 2007 at 10:21 AM  

Oh, one more thing, I have a little Russian word of the day gadget way down at the bottom of my blog. If you page down, you'll find it. You can "lift" it for yourself and place it on your own blog or your google desktop.

Tami May 16, 2007 at 10:45 AM  

Thanks for the correction on the phonics! I was afraid I was getting it all wrong. I took Spanish in high school, and German in college (not that I remember ANY of it) and I did alright, but the Cyrillic alphabet is kicking my butt!
Rachel, thanks for the heads up on the gadget. I'm headed back over to lift it from your site! I'm anxious to see how many words I can actually learn. Thanks!

Missy May 16, 2007 at 6:38 PM  

I know what you mean about the alphabet! I am working with Rosetta Stone and it is still killing me! I hope to get it soon...otherwise, I'm afraid I might sound like an idiot when I bring my kiddos home.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP