Powered by Blogger.

whew!

Monday, May 7, 2007

What a weekend! I don't think we've run that much...ever! For some of you this list may not seem like that much, for but us this weekend was a marathon...at a sprinters pace!

To start things off, my parents arrived...a day early!
I was sitting at the computer Thursday night, checking Google Reader, catching up on all my blog friends, when Q-Ball came running down the stairs yelling, 'Papa and Gramma are here! Papa and Gramma are here!'
I told him to cut out his teasing and turned back to the computer.
'Mooooom, I'm not teasing, honest! They're here!'
He bolted for the door.
Sure enough, they were walking up the sidewalk...24 hours early!
The house was trashed.
Oh well, at least I had managed to get up the energy to vacuum the living room before I had started my much needed hour break! ;)
Thankfully my Mom isn't one of those clean freaks. She loves me just the way I am, laundry and all. Of course she felt compelled to do all my laundry while I was at work on Friday. I felt a bit guilty, but she says she did it because she loves me.
I love you too Mom, but I'm not so sure I would be up to doing a week's worth of a family of five's laundry, a day after traveling 12 hours across Kansas, all while trying to keep up with an energetic 5-year old who has the day off of preschool!
Ya gotta love her!
After everyone got in their hugs Thursdays night and the kids were off to bed, we sat down to chat.
While we were visiting my dad, who is a pretty severe diabetic, gave himself his evening shot. A little while later he realized, in the commotion he had given himself the wrong dose! Too much of a good thing is not a good thing. We had to sit up until 12:30 a.m., trying to fight off the effects of too much insulin.
To try and keep his blood sugar from going too low, he had...
- a spoonful of sugar
- sugar tablets
- a piece of bread and jelly
- orange juice
- and leftover Easter candy
Finally I said, enough messing around, we're pulling out the big guns.
I made him pancakes with tons of syrup.
The next morning his sugar was 205!
I guess it worked. ;)
Saturday morning we got up bright (but not early) to leave for KC. My dad's (and my) favorite financial expert (geeky, I know) Dave Ramsey was in town doing a live event.
I've been listening to Dave for years and love his sense of humor and no-nonsense approach to getting out of debt. I am convinced if Meshack and I had been able to follow his plan precisely we would be out of debt by now.
The adoptions have delayed us a bit.
Dave was amazing! I highly recommend going to his live events...even if you've listened to his radio program for years. It was worth the price of admission just to watch him jump around the stage! I knew just about everything about his debt snowball plan, but it was still fun watching him present it! (Geeky, I know!)
After church on Sunday we headed back to KC. We wanted to take in a Royals game in honor of Q-Balls birthday, but it's been raining cats and dogs here, so we decided to visit T-Rex Cafe instead.
Q loved it!
And the food wasn't that bad either.
The restaurant has a bunch of different 'rooms' that are set up as different dinosaur living environments. We sat in the Volcanic dino room. The dinosaurs were robotic and kept roaring and moving the whole time we were there. It was pretty neat! There was an ice-age room, an under the sea room and some other really neat stuff.
We got back into town around 5 p.m. and I asked the family to drop me off at Wally-world so I could finish up some shopping. My dad came back and picked me up about an hour later...and I still wasn't quite done.
It's not that I went overboard with the present buying...it's just that it's getting harder and harder to buy presents for him...and those presents are getting more and more expensive! UGH!!
Mom and Dad picked out a fish tank...complete with six fish. They let him open it up last night since they were leaving this morning and Q's been mesmerized ever since. The first thing he did when he got up this morning was feed them and then this afternoon when he got home he had to go upstairs and make sure they were still alive! :)
Mom and Dad headed back to Colorado this morning...taking off just after the kids headed to school. They'll be back in about three months for JacJac's birthday.
I hope I've recovered by then.

3 salty messages:

Kathy and Joel,  May 7, 2007 at 5:51 PM  

That is a very bsy weekend!! Glad that you got your dad all fixed up. Anytime you want to make me pancakes...:)

kate May 8, 2007 at 9:54 AM  

I'm a BIG Dave Ramsey fan. I gave "Financial Peace" to a friend who swears it's the best gift she's ever gotten.

Tami May 8, 2007 at 10:50 AM  

I'll make you pancakes, but you're going to have to come to Kansas to get them! ;)
Meshack and I plan to enroll in Financial Peace University when we get back from Ukraine. We'll be done building our family and want to get started on getting back on a good financial footing. Our goal is to complete this adoption without going further into debt. So far, so good.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP