Powered by Blogger.

the WMEC club

Thursday, May 10, 2007

I think I won an award today.
"The World's Worst Mother Trophy."
We've all been candidates for this prize. That's my only comfort. I know others have gone before me...and others will certainly follow.
It's an easy award to win. Forget to pack your kid's lunch on a day when spinach is on the school lunch menu, back over your kids bicycle in the driveway or embarrass them by showing their baby pictures to their friends and your kids will be sure to write your recommendation letter. Or better yet, yell at your kids for something they didn't do - you'll feel so guilty you'll nominate yourself.
I've had the award before. I've brought home the trophy for forgetting a child's baseball practice making sure he wouldn't start the next game. I've also forgotten to make the kids do their homework, accidentally thrown away precious pictures and notes from their 'bestest' friends and embarrassed a son by singing '867-5309' at the top of my lungs in front of a buddy. (I was vacuuming and didn't hear them come in! :)
The last time it was a bad case of "time-out". You know the one where you set your child in a room and then forget they are there...only to go back about a half an hour later to find the kid dutifully sitting still, quietly pondering what he could have possibly done that was so bad as to deserve a time-out that never ends.
Poor Nick had to endure the never-ending time-out over last Christmas break at his grandparent's house. While all of the other children were playing with their new Christmas presents, Nick was sitting in the laundry room on a stool, composing his nomination letter for "World's Worst Mother".
Thankfully, it wasn't a lifetime appointment to the "Worst Mother Ever Club" (WMEC). It was a temporary assignment. One I thankfully was relieved of when Nick got a cup of hot chocolate with lots of marshmallows (after talking about what he had done wrong.)

Today was a biggie...
I was nominated for forgetting my children at school.
I know what you're thinking...but in my defense, I didn't forget completely.
Just long enough to be late in picking them up.
Seeeeeee....I'm not completely horrible.
I just got stuck in a meeting.
The only problem with that excuse is I'm the one that called and ran the meeting.
Oops.
In my defense, I was out of my routine. I usually don't pick up the kids until about 5 or 5:30, but I didn't have a babysitter today. So I was supposed to pick the kids up at 3:05.
At 2:50 as I was strolling back to my office from the meeting, I glanced at the clock. Hmmm...wasn't there something I needed to do this afternoon?
OMW!
I dashed to my desk, grabbed the phone and quickly dialed the number. (Thank goodness it has the same last four digits as my in-laws, I may have been searching for a week for the number!)
'_______ school office, this is Jane.'
I quickly explained that I forgot I was supposed to pick up the kids...could they stay in her office until I got there.
'Sure,' she said. 'No problem.'
Was that a snicker I heard?
Never mind. It was 2:55 and I had 10 minutes to drive 25 miles. I was never going to make it.
I pulled up to the school at 3:18. The buses were all gone, the good mother's were all gone. Only a couple of kids played on the school's playground. (It's amazing how fast that place clears out on a nice spring day!)
My three kids were peering through the glass of the school's front doors. The minute they caught sight of me, the door opened and the barrage began.
"Where were you?"
'How come you forgot?"
"We've been waiting foooooorever!"
"You were supposed to be heeeeeere!"
"What took you so long?"
The school secretary stood behind them with a knowing smile.
Sigh.
I wonder how long it will take me to get out of WMEC this time?

6 salty messages:

ColleenD May 10, 2007 at 6:41 AM  

Beleive me, Tami, you've got lots of company. I've done eight of your ten and likely several dozen others. It's amazing how quickly children can forgive and forget, although I have noticed that homemade cookies help.

3D May 10, 2007 at 1:02 PM  

Poor Mom! I think the good awards will hide that bad one.


Keep smilin!

M- May 10, 2007 at 1:28 PM  

They'll forget quickly, my kids always do. I hate to tell you, but colleend is right, you have more than enough company.

jessy May 10, 2007 at 10:53 PM  

I've dropped my kid off on a teacher work day before, and driven off not realizing that there were no other children around--AND THIS WAS A SCHOOL I WORKED AT FOR YEARS! You can imagine the ribbing I got for months following.
I'm not trying to make you feel more guilty, but I AM curious. How does being left affect your kids? It doesn't really freak them out? It sounds like they took it pretty well. Just the normal whine brigade. My poor PI baby would have wet herself in anxiety, I'm sure.

Tami May 11, 2007 at 6:44 AM  

My oldest probably has the hardest time with trust...and I didn't really realize it until recently. He double, triple and quadruple checks any plans we may have on any given day. It's soooooo frustrating! Thankfully, none of them freaked out. They know the school secretary pretty well. She goes to church with us, teaches my younger two kid's Sunday School class and is the mother of our babysitter. I think that helped ALOT.

Jenni May 11, 2007 at 6:27 PM  

Ha! I did that once too - but luckily, I was only 15 minutes from the school and got there relatively quickly. So don't worry, you're in good company.

Here's a story for the WMEC. My friend, who is a NICU nurse (takes care of sick babies), was at the top of the stairs in her apartment building, with her baby in the stroller. She was carrying a bunch of stuff and trying to manage the stroller, but unfortunately, she dropped a few of her items and watched in dismay as they tumbled down the stairs. When the baby's bottle dropped, she made a move to catch it, and let go of her stroller. Can you guess what happened next? Her stroller, WITH THE BABY INSIDE, went bouncing down the stairs! Fortunately, the baby was not hurt, but my friend still sat down at the bottom of the stairs and cried for about 20 minutes afterwards. She definitely felt like the worst mother ever at that moment (in fact, our friends nominated her for the award after she was feeling better about the situation and was able to see some humor in it).

So, if ever you feel bad, just remember that at least you didn't let your baby go bouncing down a flight of stairs.

On that note, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! :)

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP