Powered by Blogger.

holy night terror, batman!

Friday, June 29, 2007

Last night Meshack and I were playing a nightly game...name that child.

I was sitting on the floor of our 1850s home, thumbing through a baby name book, looking at monikers like Abigail, Lea and Caeley...while he was searching the Internet in hopes of finding something close to E.S...
No such luck.
Then we heard a noise.
A scratchy kind of noise.
A noise like cats jumping up on a window screen.
It was nice yesterday...cool, low humidity, very comfortable. So we had the windows open. I thought for sure our cats, Willie and Wonka, who love to jump on the window screens to get our attention, were up to their old tricks.
I went over to the window to close the curtain.
No cats.
I yelled at them to cut it out anyway and went back to my name search.
A few seconds later we heard it again. This time Meshack got up and went to the window, yelled a bit himself and closed the window.
He had just settled down in the computer chair when we heard the noise again.
Now, there is no way our cats are that dumb. It had to be something else.
As we listened we realized it wasn't coming from outside the house.
It was coming from INSIDE!
Okay...that freaked me out!
The cats are outside. The dog was in the kennel (she's been doing nothing but shedding the last few weeks.) Other than the fish upstairs in Q-ball's fish tank there weren't supposed to be any animals in the house.
And the kids were sleeping soundly in their little beds.
What could it be?!
Ever the practical type, Meshack got up and started the search.
I hid behind the bathroom door.
He finally narrowed it down to our return air vent.
He grabbed a flashlight and peered down into the darkness and then let out a 'man shriek' and jumped about 10 feet.
A BAT!
Okay...that's it. I'm moving out!
Meshack quickly regained his composure and went to work.
While I was trying to find the number for animal control - Meshack went out to his truck and grabbed some of his vet supplies.
It helps having a vet in the house.
I, on the other hand, was no help whatsoever. I quickly realized our small town doesn't have animal control and ran straight upstairs, shut the kids doors, then our own, crawled underneath the covers and prayed he would be able to get the thing out of the house!
Forget what the Bible says about being a help-meet...I'm choosing not to believe God meant it to include trapping bats!
If He informs me otherwise, I'll let you know.
By the time Meshack got back in the house with all of his stuff, the bat was gone. Meshack went down to the basement (brave, isn't he) to see if he could find it.
Nothing.
So he came up to our room to let me know the 'good' news.
He 'thought' it was gone. 'Maybe' it had flown back out the way it had come in.
I asked him to PLEASE call someone in the morning...and he agreed.
He went back downstairs to bring the dog in for the night and as he was passing through the kitchen he saw fluttering in the corner.
THE BAT!
It was flying around the kitchen, trying to find a way out!
Meshack yelled at me to close the bedroom doors again, so I ran down the hall, slamming doors, praying the kids wouldn't wake up.
Downstairs the bat dive bombs Meshack on his way to the living room.
Upstairs, I'm hearing mild expletives, banging and the sound of Meshack running around the house.
Slam!
Bang!
Kapow!
Woosh!
Then...silence.
A few moments later Meshack came back upstairs.
The bat was gone.
Meshack had run through the living room (I told you he was brave!) and opened the front door. The bat...obviously blind, but using his sonar figured this out and after a few failed attempts, flew through the front door and out into the night.
Whew.
The kids slept through the whole thing!

9 salty messages:

Missy June 29, 2007 at 6:10 PM  

I grew up in a pretty old house and we tended to get bats inside quite often. My brothers used to play baseball with the bat being the ball. Does that make sense?? Their bat would be a broom or tennis racket. They never killed one..just stunned it enough to get it outside. That is probably too "animal cruelty" to share with the wife of a vet...but there ya go!

Yoli June 29, 2007 at 6:59 PM  

Oh I am so glad the bat was not harmed! I am a huge animal lover and I was reading your great story on the edge of my seat!

Yoli

Steffie B. June 29, 2007 at 7:03 PM  

WOW......too bad you didn't get it on video! As freaked out as you were it probably would have been hysterical watching hubby try and get it out! ;)

Starfish June 29, 2007 at 8:59 PM  

uh YIKES...that is totally gross and I'm getting the heeby jeebies just reading it!!

Tami June 29, 2007 at 9:04 PM  

Yeah, Starfish...me too!
I thought about the video camera, but it was in the living room...and there was NO WAY I was going in there! :)

jessy June 29, 2007 at 9:58 PM  

EEK! This post gave me the willies. I don't do bats.

E. June 30, 2007 at 10:09 AM  

o.k, I would have freaked out, too; but reading your post made me laugh!

kate June 30, 2007 at 12:10 PM  

Absolutely disgusting. Shortly after moving house, my roommate and I discovered that bats were using as a nesting spot (in the basement--they'd fly through the air ducts and out the chimney.)AND, in Ohio some bats are endangered so they won't come and dipose of ANY bats until after the babies grow up. Disgusting. They'd swoop through the house...

We put in one of the sonar/radar things that is supposed to get rid of mice. (Bats are kind of like mice, right?) It drove them CRAZY! We did finally have to dispose of them--with the help of a neighbor. (Dealing with bats really is a boy-job.)

Christina July 3, 2007 at 1:52 PM  

Oh man is your husband brave!! I definitely would have been hiding under the covers too - that's as "helpful" as I could possibly be in that situation!!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP