Powered by Blogger.

a rose by any other name...

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Have you ever noticed how hard it is to come up with a kid's name?
It seemed so easy when we were teenagers in love.
Meshack and I (yes, we were high school sweethearts), used to jokingly talk about the names our kids would have. We came up with monikers like Bo, Katelyn and Shae.
Now, I can't stand 'em. Not that they're bad names. It's just that they're just too...I don't know...80s.
Anyway...
That's what has me so gun-shy.
Meshack and I have a tendency to get trapped in the popular naming trend-of-the-decade and stick our kids with names that date them. Now, I'm afraid of giving our precious little girl a tag that in a few years will date her back to the late 2000s.
We've already done it to the other three.
Q-ball was almost a Peyton...you know...after the Colts quarterback. WE'RE NOT EVEN COLTS FANS! He ended up getting named after the journalism program at my alma matter...a unique name...but definitely a product of the late 90s. At least it's one our friends and family can pronounce.
Not so for our daughter. We definitely got stuck in the 'make the name as unique as possible, early 00's trend.) Punky is named after the journalism building at our alma-matter. It's a name nobody would ever guess and absolutely no one can pronounce correctly. In fact it's a word no one has ever heard before...except for fellow alum. (You should hear the comments from people at football games who hear me call out to her! :) Everyone else who hears it, at first mispronounces it and then she has to correct them. And while they all say what a great name is, the truth is, she's scarred for life. I imagine someday she'll give up altogether and start using her Russian middle name.
JacJac lucked out. He was named after a one of the greatest basketball coaches to ever coach at our alma matter. (Do you see a theme here?) That meant he ended up with a pretty normal designation, but of course not a normal spelling. (We couldn't let him off that easy.) No one gets it...and often it's mistaken for another name.
(Boy I wish I could stop speaking in code and just tell you what their names are!)
With all of that being said, Meshack and I have worked really hard in the last four months to come up with something for our daughter-to-be that we both like and can live out our days with a clear conscious. (If you thought our daughter's name was going to be Maddie, please check out the post entitled, what's in a name?...it will fill you in on the craziness we have gone through to name our kids.)
Anyway...
Last night we thought we finally had it...the perfect name.

We had agonized, struggled, argued and negotiated.
We had gone through list, upon list, upon list of possible names. Scratching through them as we found one reason after another not to keep it.
Finally we were left with one...
E. S.
Isn't it cute?
(No...of course I'm not going to give you the real name! If you really want to know, email me and I'll fill you in.)
Anyway...
As we were going to bed, chatting about how clever we were and about how we had just come up with the perfect name, Meshack suddenly realized something.
His boss' DOG is named that!
*$!%
Sigh.
Sigh.
Sigh.

I DON'T CARE.
She's going to have the name anyway!
We've worked too hard.
Besides the dog won't live forever. In another decade or so she'll be gone and our E.S. will still be around.
And in the meantime we just won't take E.S. to the clinic...
And if we do, we'll call her by the full name instead of the nickname.
That'll work...
Yeah...
Sigh.
I think we're back to square one.

8 salty messages:

AngelaW,  June 26, 2007 at 7:40 PM  

I loved the humor in your blog.

I didn't struggle very much with my daughter's name. I wrote a few names down that I liked. Then I just winged it.

My darling was named Natalyia. However her nickname (which everyone used) was Natasha. I loved the name (which means Christmas and she was my Christmas present) so I kept it.

Good luck with the naming...

jessy June 26, 2007 at 8:52 PM  

Yeah, I'm going to have to know everyone's real name. E-mail me.
After six months I gave up on the whole no real names thing. It was holding my writing back. And I wondered why the heck I was going to all the trouble. I don't post our last name. My kids are always supervised and NEVER allowed in chat rooms or group games. I got a big gun, plenty of bullets, and this is Texas, afterall.
Is there another reason, besides concern of pedophiles or identity theft? Seriously, I'm so stupid with things like that, please tell me if there are other dangers that I'm ignorant about.

Rachael June 26, 2007 at 9:00 PM  

OK, you've peaked my curiosity....I'm emailing you!

I have a funny little story to share with you too. With Katya, we had decided to keep her Russian first name, so I felt this huge pressure to come up with a really special meaningful middle name, yet I was also locked into making it blend with her already given first name as well as our three other kids names. Derrick and I had kind of decided on Celine, but of course I still had to go through all the baby books, make lists, consult my sisters, etc. I came up with a list of 4 (Celine, Clare, Josette, Juliet -- what's up with the French trend, I'm not sure, now). Derrick hated them all (except Celine which we'd already agreed upon) but in a fit of generosisty, he bargained if I did X,Y, and Z I could chose whatever I wanted. Well, I snapped up his offer, pulled through with my end of the bargain, and what did I choose in the end: CELINE!!! Argh.

Carrie June 26, 2007 at 10:02 PM  

Tami, I feel you pain. I have one child with the #1 most popular girls name in 30 countries and one with a completely unique name that no one came pronouns correctly and everyone spells wrong... *sigh* For the baby boy we are going with a popular(ish) name spelled correctly to avoid confusion. I found that I'd rather have him turn around every time someone shouts out their kids name in a crowed room then go through the name issues of my poor middle child.

We had the problem when it came to naming of having already given our favorite girl names to our dogs... I feel you pain there too.

(you really have my curiosity up now about your children's name though. You can imagine some of the ideas I have floating around)

Jenni June 26, 2007 at 11:10 PM  

My curiosity about your kids names is definitely peaked too! I love choosing names and since I have such a common name for my generation, I tend to favor more unique names as well.

Unfortunately, Vika and Eamon are not only unique (in America, anyway), they are difficult for people to pronounce! I've sentenced my kids to years of teachers calling them "Vikkah" and "EEE-mahn". Sigh.

Best of luck with the name game!

E. June 27, 2007 at 8:44 AM  

The name thing is tricky. We've been waiting for a referral since September, and we still don't have a middle name nailed down. And we've been waiting so long that I'm starting to have second thoughts about the first name! And you're right -- that dog won't live forever!

Starfish June 27, 2007 at 12:03 PM  

I agree - the name thing can be so very stressful!

Now please email me your kids names before I go insane!

Gail,  June 27, 2007 at 2:22 PM  

I like E.S., whatever it may be. It is a difficult decision to make. There is always something or someone that makes a name not so desirable.
Gail

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP