Powered by Blogger.

special delivery

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Bad blogger...bad blogger...bad, baaaad blogger!!!!!
Okay, I have sufficiently scolded myself for my long absence. But in my defense this is baseball week.
A baseball game...
Every night...
In a different town...
Late at night...
I knew it was coming, but boy this week has been tough. Shhhh...don't tell my social worker, but the kids have eaten their weight in hot dogs and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches this week. I promise to do better at meal planning next week...or maybe the next week, after tournaments are over.
Anyway...where was I...oh, yes. An update.
When I left you, Meshack was on his way to hand-deliver our dossier to the Kansas Secretary of State's office...
Well...
Meshack and the kids took off for Topeka early Tuesday morning on their mission.
They headed to the Secretary of State's office to get 28 dossier documents apostilled and sent on their way to our agency in Texas.
Right after they left I got paranoid and decided to give the SOS a call. After all, it had been eight years since we had any documents apostilled in the Sunflower State. Everything may have changed since then. It rang a couple of times before Georgia answered.
I introduced myself and told her Meshack was on his way to get 28 apostilles...
"You still take walk-ins, don't you?"
"Oh yes," she replied. "No problem."
"Can you take a check or a debit card?"
"Absolutely."
"Great," I said. "He'll be there in a couple of hours."
"Alright, I'll be looking for him," she said. "And don't you worry...we'll take care of him!"
After I hung up, I had to laugh. She must get a ton of phone calls from pre-adoptive moms who have sent their precious dossiers with their husbands to the statehouse.
She probably has some pretty good stories.
Anyway...
She did take very good care of him. He called me once when he got turned around in downtown Topeka and couldn't figure out where he was going. I got him straightened out and about an hour later he called and said mission accomplished!
Wow! That was fast!
Then came the hard part...finding a post office.
I had forgotten to find the address for a post office the night before (and couldn't remember well enough to give Meshack directions over the phone, so I googled 'post office, Topeka.'
Who knew there would be 15 post offices?!!!
I found the closest one and sent him in search of the central post office, downtown.
A little while later he called again.
It seems that when they added 28 pieces of paper, aka - apostilles, to the dossier, it made the dossier too big to fit in the package I had so carefully prepared and labeled.
Sooo...he had to figure out another way. A co-worker of mine finally came up with the idea of splitting the documents into three packages (to protect them), and putting them into a bigger box to overnight.
Whew! Quick thinking...thanks Lindy.
He got the whole thing assembled, all the while keeping track of Q-ball, Punky and the ever elusive JacJac...and sent it on it's merry way. He even had enough time to stop by Wally-world and pick up groceries!
What a guy!
And the best news is it definitely saved us a day or two. The Kansas package was the first set of documents to arrive at our agency. They were delivered at 12:28 yesterday morning. Today the mailman dropped off Colorado and Virginia...and I just checked...Missouri should be there tomorrow!
Once Missouri gets there, our dossier is officially complete and should be ready to be sent to Ukraine!
Wow!
We're almost there!

6 salty messages:

E. June 22, 2007 at 9:11 AM  

Woo hoo! Congratulations on being sooo close to done with the paperwork!

M- June 22, 2007 at 9:16 AM  

Congrats! It is fantastic to know your part is done isn't it?

Rachael June 22, 2007 at 9:20 AM  

My kids have had plenty of PBJ's in their lifetime too.

What I'm wondering is: How in the world did you ever convince your husband to go on this apostille/postal mission with all three kids in tow? I could learn a thing or two from you!

Gail,  June 22, 2007 at 4:35 PM  

What a man!! Does he have a clone?
Glad you got that all done.
Gail

Calico Sky June 22, 2007 at 7:34 PM  

That's brilliant news!!!!

kate June 23, 2007 at 4:24 AM  

Well done to you ALL--you, M, your friend, and the sunflower state apostiller.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP