Powered by Blogger.

summer goals

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I've been tagged!
Ann Marie over at Bringing Home Bee snagged me with the Summer Goals meme. I'm supposed to come up with 10 professional and or personal goals that I want to achieve over the summer.
Hmmmm....
This is a toughie.
I've never been a goal setter. I mean I set goals in my head, but I rarely write them down.
Maybe that's part of my problem - I just can't keep track of it all.
Anyway...for better or worse, here I go...
  • 1. Be a better mom. I need to have more patience and make more time for the kids. I try, really I do, but it never seems to be enough. And adding another child to the mix will only make it worse.
  • 2. Read to my kids EVERY night. Right now it's hit and miss. If they get to bed at a decent time I can usually get some reading in, but during the summer their bedtimes seem to get later and later. I really need to read to them whether they're going to bed at 8 or 10 p.m.
  • 3. Lose 5 pounds. I know it may not sound like much...but for me this would be a huge step in the right direction. I have a serious will power problem when it comes to food. Especially chocolate. If I would just eat right I could probably start losing some weight, but so far I haven't been able to maintain anything for longer than a day. Sigh.
  • 4. Raise more money for the adoption. This is a biggie. We are trying to do this adoption without using credit. After the first three adoptions and four years of vet school, we're swimming in the deep end. At this point it looks like I'll have to at least put the airline tickets on a card, but I refuse to put anything else on a revolving account. After the Dave Ramsey event Meshack and I really got jazzed about getting rid of our debt. We know we'll have to wait until after we get back from Ukraine to really put the plan into motion, but we're going to try to do everything we can to prevent adding any more to our debt snowball.
  • 5. Start researching schools for my masters. I've been wanting to go back to school for some time now. When we lived in Iowa, I taught at a community college, but when Meshack took this job and we moved out-of-state, I gave that up and started working at a local newspaper. I enjoy my job, really I do. I just LOVED teaching college kids. Unfortunately the community colleges around here require a masters. Sooooo, I need to go back to school. Thank goodness for the Internet!
  • 6. Go on a mini-vacation. Since we skipped our big vacation this summer in lieu of gas prices and adoption savings, we're going a little stir crazy. We need to get away. So we're thinking about heading to an indoor waterpark hotel for a day or two...just enough to have some fun and say we got away. We'll see.
  • 7. Read, read, read. I love nothing better than to have my nose in a really good book. Unfortunately, I don't get to do nearly enough of it. My goal is to read a book a week starting with something by Lori Wick.
  • 8. Get back on track at work. Part of my job is not only to write compelling magazine articles, but also to coordinate the magazine's women's expo. It's a job I love...but it's also a BIG job! Every year the event gets bigger and better...and every year it becomes just a little bit more work. This year is no exception, except that with my head in the adoption and blog world, I don't feel like I'm as on top of things as I need to be. I need to be back on track.
  • 9. Get in touch with old friends. You know how it is. You meet some really great people, develop a good friendship and then someone moves away. It's nobody's fault really, but over time you lose track of them. I have a lot of friends that I've lost track of over the years. In television news you tend to move ALOT...and even after Meshack graduated from vet school and I quit TV we still moved frequently. (Thankfully we've been here for four years! :) It's time I find some of these friends and find out what they're up to.
  • 10. Establish a date night with Meshack. With three (soon to be four) kids it's hard to make time for a date night. One of the things we learned at the Weekend to Remember conference is that we NEED to make time for date nights. We NEED to make time for each other. We haven't done that great of a job since we got home, but we're working on it. We'd like to go out at LEAST once a month. But it's going to have to wait until July. We have baseball every night of the week during the rest of June!
Wow! I did it!
It's amazing really how easy that was. Of course it's probably because every one of these things are very important to me. Hopefully writing them down will make me more likely to get some of them accomplished. Thanks, Ann Marie!
Now for the really fun part...
Tag...Starfish, Jenni, Allison, Steffie and Valerie...you're it!

3 salty messages:

Suzanne June 13, 2007 at 1:07 AM  

I just did that one too. It was kind fun, wasn't it?

jessy June 13, 2007 at 11:00 AM  

I LOVE LORI WICK!!!! Unfortunately, I've read ALL of her books two or three times so nothing new to gobble up this summer. She is not very intellectually stimulating, but just the thing for a lazy summer afternoon.
My tip for the cheapest of mini vacations: STAY WITH RELATIVES. We've even called up old college friends and bunked at their house. Of course it is nice when you got friends in San Antonio!
Kudos to the goal of reading to your kids daily. After teaching public school and now tutoring teens (who were not read to), I have come to the firm conviction that reading to your kids is as important as FEEDING them. You would not go a day without making sure they had three solid meals, would you? Reading is the same. And you get such a high return on your investment! Go for it, girl!
Larry Burkett's ministry has an online resource called Money Map. I don't know the actual address of my head, but you should be able to google it. There are ALOT of tools on the site that should be able to help. They also have people (accountants, financial advisors, etc.) who donate their time to be "coaches." They will meet with you, go over your debt retirement plan and make suggestions--from a Christian perspective. This a great ministry that is FREE OF CHARGE and they are not selling anything.

Starfish June 14, 2007 at 1:01 PM  

Doh!

Okay, give me some time on this one...

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP