Powered by Blogger.

the great candy summit

Friday, July 6, 2007

I hope everyone had a great July 4th.
We did.
It was a quiet one...well, except for all the neighborhood kids who were still shooting off firecrackers at midnight!
We spent most of the day at home, doing one project or another, stopping every so often to have some fun family time.
Wednesday morning we cleaned out Q-ball's closet, tackled our own closet, moved JacJac back into Q-ball's bedroom and set up their bunk beds.
All of this in preparation for Maddie coming home. We need to paint and make some repairs in JacJac's old room before she comes home...but we're holding off a little bit to see if the boys can handle being in the same room together.
The last time we did this they messed around for hours at bedtime...and no matter what we did, nothing helped! We'll see how long this lasts. I give it a week before we split them up again and give the girls the big room.
In the late afternoon we headed downtown for our town's annual Fourth of July parade.
We have the typical small town parades complete with fire trucks, tractors, little kids on four-wheelers...
And candy.
Lots of candy.
Which leads to the point of this post.
The kids have just completed the 2007 Great Candy Summit.
We are a negotiating kind of household.
It keeps the peace.
We've held the 2005 Matchbox Car Summit...
the 2006 Legos Summit...
and now the 2007 Great Candy Summit.
All in an attempt to restore harmony and order to our household.
The kids came home from the parade with Wal-Mart sacks full of candy. More candy than they could possibly eat...or more accurately than I would ever LET them eat. And JacJac had done the most work...he needed help carrying his home!
Now, usually I'm all for hard work and tend to reward the kids when they put in extra effort. But there is no way I'm letting JacJac hang on to all of that candy!
The kids don't get a lot of candy...Halloween, Christmas, Valentines Day, July 4th...and the occasional baseball game.
That's it!
So giving a Wal-Mart sack full of candy to my already hyper 5-yr-old is completely out of the question.
Hence...the 2007 Great Candy Summit.
Actually it was Q-ball's idea. (I personally think he was just trying to get his hands on all of JacJac's loot! :) As soon as he walked in the door Q-ball yelled out 'Candy Summit'. And the kids ran into the living, dumped their candy on the floor, and, without any prompting from Meshack or me, immediately started taking turns picking a single piece of candy and shoving it into their bags.
Around and around they went for about 20 minutes, quietly selecting their favorite pieces. Every once in awhile they'd stop and ask me if I'd like another Tootsie Roll. I'd say thank you...they'd throw me a piece and get back to work.
Miraculously there was no arguing...no fighting...hardly any speaking at all.
When they were done each one dug into their bags of candy and before I knew it had downed a couple of handfuls of sugar.
I'm so proud of them.
Not because they're sugar fiends! :) I'm proud that they were able to work together.
I'm pleased with Q-ball for thinking of it, although I'm pretty sure he had ulterior motives. I'm pleased with Punky for sitting down with her brothers and not pitching a fit when someone took her favorite type of candy. And I'm incredibly impressed with JacJac for sharing his loot.
I think I have some future diplomats on my hands.

3 salty messages:

jessy July 6, 2007 at 11:49 AM  

I'm with you on the candy problem. My kids are given tons of candy at every holiday. I do not let my kids eat candy. But my penny pinching sole almost can't bear to throw it out. We've come up with the CANDY BOX. The candy box is actually a large bowl (long story on why the "box" is a bowl). All incoming candy goes to this holding tank. Candy comes out: A) When we need candy for a class party, trick or treaters, fill Easter eggs, etc. (I told you I was a cheap skate) B) When I haven't made a dessert and they have eaten all their growing food. C)Passed out to kids as parting gifts at the yearly family garage sale.
I eat the good chocolate.

Because I'm the momma. That's why.

Shelly July 6, 2007 at 12:18 PM  

That's awesome! Sounds like you have some really nice kiddos at your house! :O)

~Shelly

E. July 7, 2007 at 5:40 PM  

Wow! That's amazing that your kids handled the Candy Summit so well! Too bad the politicians can't get along that well. You're obviously doing something right as a mom!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP