Powered by Blogger.

i'm getting squirrely

Friday, July 6, 2007

I like my agency...
I really do.
But sometimes...
Oooooh!
They drive me nuts!
I really checked these guys out before we signed on the dotted line.
I talked with their references...
I found tons of references on my own.
I studied their contract.
I asked a hundreds of questions.
And then I asked more questions before we sent in the paperwork and check.
They came out squeaky clean.
Everyone loved them.
And I can understand why.
They are very good at being straight forward with you.
They don't sugar-coat things.
They make you feel like you're their only client.
They go out of their way to help you. I've had the owner set up a phone call with both Meshack and I at 8:30 at night so we can both talk to her after the kids go to bed!
She's great.
WHEN YOU CAN GET IN TOUCH WITH HER!
It's nearly impossible.
I bet I've called and emailed 10 times in the last two weeks, trying to double check and make sure our check got there and that our paperwork made it to Ukraine.
(Cue the crickets)
Nothing.
(chirp, chirp)
Not a word.
(chirp, chirp, chirp)
I didn't hear anything back until yesterday...and then it was just a quick email that said, "I received your payment 06/29/07. Thank you. I will keep you updated on the submission process."
That's it.
Nothing about where our papers actually are.
Nothing about who will be translating and how long it will take.
Nothing even about the weather in South Texas.
Nothing!
I didn't even get a chance to ask any questions.
It was a little better during the paperchase, but I was working with the paperwork coordinator. She always returned my phone calls and emails. I never had a problem.
I thought I could expect the same from the owner...but it appears I'm wrong.
It's not that she's rude. She's incredibly friendly, helpful and makes you confident in her knowledge of the system.
It's not that she's cheating us out of any money. They're considerably less expensive than other agencies we looked at and haven't upped any prices or done anything else sneaky.
And they're incredibly helpful (when I do talk to them.)
It's just that I want to talk to them.
I need that.
I don't need my hand held during the paperchase. I've done this three times before...I know how to get my paperwork.
I need someone to tell me what is going on halfway around the world.
I'd like to have an idea of how many couples are ahead of us.
I'd like know when my documents have been translated.
I know right now there's not much to hear. We're just going to be doing a lot of waiting...and you know how I feel about that!
But I still need to talk.
I'd like to hear something...anything.
Am I asking too much?

6 salty messages:

Gail,  July 6, 2007 at 8:56 PM  

Tami,
You are NOT asking too much. That is what they get paid for. I love my agency. I have had one coordinator from first contact, even before I signed with them. Hang in there. You'll make it.
Gail

adoptedthree July 6, 2007 at 10:11 PM  

Sorry to hear about the agency wows. If you ever feel like they are pushing you aside let me know.. I have a great backup plan facilitator.

Love the pics of the kids and the candy adorable!

kate July 7, 2007 at 1:34 AM  

NO! (You're not asking too much.)

However, your agency sounds even better than mine about communication. Literally, in the year and a half I've been at this, I've heard from the owners a handful of times. They just cash the check and disappear...

I, too, am working with "paperwork facilitators" who usually answer e-mails...but aren't always pleasant or helpful. They think I should just stay quiet and trust. Well, the last time I did that, my hs sat on their desk for FIVE MONTHS.

All this to say, I share your frustration. ;>

Rachael July 7, 2007 at 8:05 AM  

I'm like you. I want the play-by-play all the time. Maybe you could make an arrangement with her that she gives you a weekly update or something like that?

Christina July 7, 2007 at 2:27 PM  

You are NOT asking too much!! I know that frustrated feeling... our agency had a policy of calling back within 24 hours and still I would get frustrated sometimes (often because they just didn't have specific answers to my questions about what is happening with our case at this very moment!). You might try sending an email with all your questions rather than waiting on a phone call. But I understand wanting to hear a voice, I felt like I got more info from a phone call than from emails.

M- July 7, 2007 at 4:05 PM  

No, I don't think so. I don't talk to the director of my agency, generally, I talk to my caseworker. She is normally good about returning emails, but last week...well that was a different story. It is so frustrating. I hope you find out something soon....

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP