Powered by Blogger.

mind-reading 101

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Well, that didn't last long.

Remember what I said about putting the boys in the same bedroom - giving them the opportunity to share a room, so we wouldn't have to do a bunch of shuffling when Maddie came home?
HA!
They made it three nights.
Three nights!!!
By Friday we'd had enough.
I don't know what it is with these guys, but when Q-ball and JacJac are together they truly don't seem to think about or care about the consequences of their actions.
I just don't get it.
They can recite verbatim what they are and are not allowed to do...but then they turn around and do it anyway even though they know what will happen to them!
UGH!
We tried everything!
But no matter what we did, they ended up messing around for about three hours each night before they actually got to sleep.
This isn't the first time we'd tried to have them bunk together.
When we first brought Punky and JacJac home we only had three bedrooms...the boys had to share a room. But even at the ages of 1 and 4, they couldn't keep from messing around at bedtime.
So we ended up putting Q-ball on our bed and then moved him to his own bed when we went to sleep.
That went on for three years.
We got sick of it.
The boys got too big to carry in a dead sleep, so we separated them about a year ago.
Aaaahhh.
Peace.
It lasted about a year and then we realized when we decided to adopt, that we'd have to do something...and the middle of an adoption is NOT the time for us to think about buying a newer, bigger house.
So we decided to give it another shot.
We hoped they would be able to work through this together.
No such luck.
Now, don't get me wrong.
I love that they love playing together.
I love that they hardly ever fight.
I love that they can look at each other and just start cracking up.
I love that they're best friends.
But I can't stand the mischief they get into together!!!
Soooo...
Punky got to move into the big bedroom.
All by herself. (At least until Maddie gets home...which at the rate my agency is answering my questions, may be next year!)
Sigh.
Anyway...I spent the whole weekend moving all the bedrooms around. JacJac went back to his original bedroom, which used to be the toy room. I moved Q-ball into Punky's old room (thankfully I never got around to painting it pink!) and Punky is now parked in Q-ball's room which is painted a nice, bright yellow. (As weird as it sounds I think her decor might work. The jury is still out on that one, but once everything is cleaned up and put away I'm hoping I won't have to buy her a new bedspread or repaint...although I'll probably have to anyway so her bedding will match Maddie's.) Oh well. ;)
My muscles are sore from tearing bunk-beds apart, hauling mattresses down the hallway and my voice is scratchy from barking at the kids to move before I dropped the dresser on my toe.
Notice that I used the pronoun 'I' a lot in this blog.
That's because Meshack went on strike this weekend.
I started this whole process while he was at work Saturday morning. By the time he got home that afternoon, the kids and I had pretty much swapped all the toys and other stuff around.
All that was left were the beds.
He was not pleased.
It seems after 17 years of marriage, my mind reading skills are a little sub-par. I didn't realize he was going to give the boys an extra week to try and shape up. I thought when he said, 'That's it. Punky gets this room,' that is what he meant!
Silly me.
So, clearly being non-clairvoyant, I ruined his plans and his weekend. He refused to help move the beds on Saturday and being a seriously stubborn person I refused to ask for his help.
So...
I paid the price.
I have muscles screaming at me that I haven't heard from since my high school volleyball days!
Thankfully, he took pity on me today, and helped me move the beds, although he made it abundantly clear he thinks we should have given them an extra week to shape up.
I figure, if he wanted to do that, he should have SAID so!
The kids are finally settled in their new rooms. They still have some stuff to put away, but my job is finished.
Now it's on to other items on my to-do list...
Like working on my mind-reading skills.

7 salty messages:

Leslie July 8, 2007 at 8:07 PM  

Ugh! I feel your pain! We have a 3 bedroom house and all three boys are in one room on a bunk with a trundle. They have always shared a room and it has NEVER worked. My youngest boy can go to sleep at the drop of a hat, but the twins are night owls no matter what time I get them up. They will stay awake for at least 2 hours after bedtime making everyone miserable. I wish we had another option, but no such luck. We've tried everything! I wish we had a bigger house with more rooms so I could split the boys up, but we're working with what we've got! Meshack sounds a lot like my DH. Stubborn, but lovable.

Missy July 8, 2007 at 8:10 PM  

I don't read minds well either. Drives Bill crazy! I guess he means more by his tone than his words? I don't get it...but I probably do the same thing to him. Sorry you're sore!

Christina July 9, 2007 at 12:49 AM  

We're doing the bedroom shuffle too... my 6 year old, R~ just likes to chat and play too much... whoever she sleeps with doesn't sleep. But we haven't yet figured out how to give her her own room. And I know what you mean about the mind-reading thing... sometimes I wish I had a tape-recorder so I could play back what Hubby said! - but then I'm guilty of doing the same thing to him, so I guess it evens out in the end. :}

Old DAN AND Little ANN July 9, 2007 at 10:48 AM  

Ok...that is too weird! Your idea on the room is exactly what I had in mind. Now just to find a cute saying that fits little boys and cowboys. That should be fun actually. Thanks for the post! Who is your agency anyway?

Alicia

Rachael July 9, 2007 at 11:11 AM  

I would never in a million years dream of having any of my kids share a room -- we would never get any peace at night!!! And, even worse, they're all so particular about their "stuff". Thankfully, we have a five bedroom house. We have four kids. Unless we want to move (no thank-you) we are DONE having kids.

I'm wondering how we managed to raise them this way? When I was growing up, we had a 3 bedroom house and 6 kids...and we slept at night without fighting (well, per my recollection). Maybe my mom was doing something right after all ;>

Carrie July 9, 2007 at 4:18 PM  

Kids sharing rooms sure does have it's ups and downs. Right now my girls share a room and while they are learning all kinds of lessons about cohabitation and sharing, I may not survive the fighting and staying up all hours of the night playing.

Hope the new arrangements work out much better for you.

adoptedthree July 11, 2007 at 9:14 AM  

Oh our bedtimes have never been the same since Oksana came and Nik had to move in with V! It is like a non-stop sleepover. The worst part is N likes to sleep in and V likes to get up at the crack of dawn and begin TALKING!!! GRRR
Wish we could move as well but after three adoptions and daycre funds are not as plentiful!!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP