Powered by Blogger.

complete and utter exhaustion

Monday, August 6, 2007

I am wiped out!

We had a weekend like we haven't had in a VERY long time.
Actually it was more like a week.
One very looooong week!
It all started the weekend before last when my parents came to town for JacJac's birthday. We tried to do the birthday thing (which I still haven't blogged about..sorry about that!), then went to a class on Ukraine (which , again, I haven't blogged about yet...sorry!).
Mom and Dad went home Monday morning...the kids started a week of VBS Monday night.
In the meantime, Meshack and I were scrambling...trying to get ready for a garage sale last Saturday.
It wasn't pretty.
We haven't had a garage sale since right before we went to get Q-ball. That's eight years worth of junk. And we're really good at accumulating junk!
So Monday and Tuesday we brought boxes up from the basement...went through them (some of which had been packed away since Meshack graduated from veterinary school seven years ago!)...and then priced everything.
We took a bit of a break on Wednesday for JacJac's birthday. The problem was, it wasn't a break. We had to drive over an hour each way to go to Chuck *E* Cheese for dinner to make up for Saturday. (I promise to tell you about it...someday. ;)
Thursday while the kids were at VBS and Meshack was at a meeting, I climbed the basement stairs with MORE junk!
Then Friday, while the kids were at VBS, Meshack and I hauled everything over to our friend's house and set up.
The next day the kids and I were up at the crack of dawn and headed over to the garage sale where we spent the next six sweltering hours in a stuffy garage while no one came to pick through our stuff!
Seriously...all of that work for $60. NEVER AGAIN!
We came home and I took a little nap while Meshack and the kids starting taking all that junk back down our narrow stairs into the basement. UGH!!!
A couple of hours later we headed to a friends house for a BBQ.
On Sunday mornings we usually go to the early service (8 a.m. - UGH!!! Not MY idea!) so got up early for that. Afterwards we headed took off for town, hoping to escape the crowds (yeah, right!) for the tax-free weekend. Three hours later (2 p.m.) we came home with way too many school supplies.
BTW - Why does it cost so much for three children to go to what is supposed to be a free public education?!!!!
But I digress...
Then at 6 p.m. we went back to church for the kids VBS program.
Whew!
Tonight we have nothing.
Aaaaaah...peace and quiet.
Well...except for the sound of the vacuum cleaner, washer, dryer and mower all trying to catch up with all the work we haven't done in the last two weeks.
Oh well.

8 salty messages:

Christina August 6, 2007 at 9:05 PM  

Love that kitten picture!
We had the same thing happen with our last garage sale... and we made more selling the stuff on ebay afterwards. That's when I said "never again" too!

Is Eight Enough? August 6, 2007 at 11:29 PM  

Tami,

Not make you feel bad, *smile*, but you made me feel better!! We made $255 at our garage sale and I thought that was bad. I had heard of adoption garage sales where they were making over a $1000! I guess God has other ways for us to earn money! *smile*

But now, I gotta ask you - WHY did you take it all back downstairs??? *grin* Why didn't you take it to the second hand shop and DUMP it? Me? I have my stuff all out in the garage still, in the HOPES of having another garage sale for all the people that I am SURE were on holiday during my first garage sale.

After that one I will toss all the JUNK and keep the good stuff for another day! *smile*

Justine

kate August 7, 2007 at 1:06 AM  

I LOVE that photo!!!

I think garage sale-ing must have a genetic component. Some people are great at it. Some people (myself included), not so much. Er, but I will say that your takings were embarrassingly low--especially for eight years of stuff. ;>

Old DAN AND Little ANN August 7, 2007 at 10:13 AM  

Reminds me of that country song "Everyday love". That was entertaining to read about at least. I can't imagine the garage sale thing. I woulda hurled that stuff at the closest donation bin after a weekend like that. You just never know with Garage Sales. You could ship it all up to me. We have so little selection of stores up here that garage saling is HUGE. Everything that is worth anything usually goes. One of my favorite passtimes for sure! :) Our lawn is looking pathetic too. 4 days of torential downpours did wonders.

Tami August 7, 2007 at 10:41 AM  

The amount was pretty pathetic wasn't it?! :) But in our defense we live in a very small town. I should have known better than to join a garage sale in a town of less than 1,000 people. I wouldn't have done it if some friends of ours hadn't begged us to join them, because they said they didn't have enough stuff to host their a garage sale on their own. (They ended up selling more than us, because they have teenage daughters who called all their friends to come over and go shopping for new school clothes!)
The other problem is that I'm sure we lost out to Missouri's tax-free weekend. I'm betting a bunch of people ended up going 'to town' instead of sticking around for a garage sale. I know I would have, if I would have had a choice! :)
I was going to wait until a friend of mine had a garage sale (she lives in a city of 100,000). I may still do it...but right now I can't even think about it. UGH!!!
Besides...Kate, I think you're right. I think some people just must have a 'good garage sale' gene.
One of the reasons, we ended up taking the stuff back down to the basement is because our house is 150 years old. (Abe Lincoln at breakfast here! :) We have NO closets...and our garage is pretty much just a storage shed for our mower and the kids' bikes. It has a dirt floor...who has a dirt floor in their garage?! :) So nothing would be safe out there...even in plastic tubs. :) Besides...I didn't have to lumber down the stairs again. Meshack and the kids took care of it for me! Besides that, I'm dilusional enough to still have a false sense of hope that some of it will sell. I just can't give up on that money! ;)

jessy August 7, 2007 at 8:55 PM  

Oh, that is terrible about your garage sale. Did you not put an add in the paper? Posters around town? Was the weather funky? I have such faith in garage sales, it really pains me to hear about a flop.

Karissa Cunningham August 9, 2007 at 1:40 PM  

We live in a small town too! A little bigger though but we always have high hopes for our garage sales. And have about the same luck! I hate it!! People complaining about spending $2 for something that was $50. But that’s the way it is. Good luck with the process. I will be watching your blog for updates! Karissa

Arizona mom to eight August 12, 2007 at 12:07 AM  

Your family is beautiful, you are an adoption pro. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. I am also making the life books digitally.

Look forward to watching your progress and especially to seeing pictures of your Maddie once she is home.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP