Powered by Blogger.

sweet dreams

Monday, August 13, 2007

I have figured it out!
Finally, after eight long years I have cracked the code...
I've found the holy grail...
I've discovered...
The clock radio.
I know what you're thinking, "What's so special about an alarm clock. I've had one beside my bed for years and all it does it scream at me in the morning, blink when the electricity goes off and generally make me one cranky diva."
Aaaaah, but you haven't discovered..."Raaaaadio Theeeeeatrrrrrre." :)
I have struggled...and I mean struggled to get the kids to go to bed on time. I've tried everything from nagging to bribery to rewards to discipline. Nothing has worked.
That is, until I found 'Adventures in Odyssey.'
Oh, the blessed joy!
Actually, I've known about Odyssey for awhile. The kids like listening to it in the van, but we rarely catch it live. We have a few CDs, but the kids have heard the same stories over and over.
I thought it had lost it's charm.
Then, one day last week as we were on our way to town, I was contemplating how I was going to get the kids back onto their school schedule, when the kids asked me if they could listen to Odyssey.
And then it came to me!
Why not let them listen to it *live* as they fall asleep?!
It's pure genius, I tell you!
For the last week I've been hyping it. Egging them on, telling them how awesome it will be to listen to the half-hour program as they drift off to sleep. We even went to Wally-world and picked up $5 alarm clock radios in preparation.
They were ecstatic...
thrilled...
overjoyed!
I'm so good!
Tonight was the first night.
Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I told them it was time for bed, they all scrambled to get ready. They got dressed, brushed their teeth and scampered up the stairs without so much as a peep.
Every last one of them jumped into bed, got under the covers and waited patiently while I prayed with them and then dialed in Odyssey.
I haven't heard a peep out of them since.
I'd be willing to bet they fell asleep before the story was over.
This works way better than reading.
Don't worry, I won't quit the reading...but I'm going to enjoy what will surely be my short-lived victory! :)
I'm not delusional.
I realize it won't last forever.
I'm hoping to get a week out of it.
But in the meantime I'm going to enjoy not having to fight, nag and all around drive them insane in trying to get them to bed on time.
And who knows, I may even give it a try.
Sweet dreams!

8 salty messages:

Rachael August 13, 2007 at 10:24 PM  

Genious! I might try that too. We start school next week. We have not eased into the school schedule like I had planned. It's going to be a big shock to the system if we don't do something different this week.

Enjoy it while it lasts....kids are smart, they'll be onto you soon!

Old DAN AND Little ANN August 14, 2007 at 1:59 AM  

Odyssey comes on each day at 4PM here. Natalie rushes downstairs to the school room at 3:45 and gets her crayons and art book and then nests up by the radio in the kitchen and waits for the show to start. I love seeing how much pleasure she gets from such a simple thing in this day of highly technical electronic entertainment devices. Great idea Tami! Who knows it may last longer than you'd thought!

kate August 14, 2007 at 6:21 AM  

maladyets, mama! well done.

Gail,  August 14, 2007 at 9:59 AM  

Praise God for Whit and the gang!!
Gail

3D August 15, 2007 at 1:33 PM  

Mom inspiration!!

Keep smilin!

jessy August 15, 2007 at 2:53 PM  

Great thinking mom!!;)
You creative discipline types always impress me. I'm not so creative. What I lack in creativity though, I make up for in results.LOL! But your way sounds so much more fun, for BOTH parties! But my way lasts, yep, eight years of being a mom and I can count on one hand (five kids, five fingers) how many times I've had to fight with bedtime.

Mike & Tara August 15, 2007 at 5:18 PM  

Congrats! I will be saving that link for when we get our kids! :o)

Jenni August 15, 2007 at 10:15 PM  

Bedtimes are bad for us too. I hope this works for you! I may ahve to look into it myself.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP