Powered by Blogger.

what's next?

Saturday, August 18, 2007

A lot of people have asked me lately...'What's next?'

So here you go...the Tami-fied version of a Ukrainian adoption (I know a lot of you out there are smarter and more able to explain this than I am, so please chime in if I royally mess something up! :)
To review...
- We assembled the dossier. The dossier is an official, notorized stack of papers which includes, but is not limited to, a homestudy, proof of home-ownership, health statements, marriage certificate, KBI clearance, etc. (Complete list at left)
- Dossier was apostilled (by the Kansas Secretary of State's office)...this is essentially a document (on each piece of our dossier) which tells the Ukrainian government that the notary is really a notary and is registered with the State of Kansas.
- Sent dossier to Ukraine in June.
- Dossier was translated, by some person a lot smarter than me, into Ukrainian.
- Dossier was assigned to a facilitator. We're not sure of the person's name yet. I imagine as we get closer to our travel date, they'll let us know their name. However, I'm thinking about asking. We'd really like to be praying for this person who is going to be doing so much for our family.
- The facilitator began waiting in line with our dossier at the SDA (State Department of Adoption and Children's Rights). He/she doesn't have to physically wait in line - it's more of a take a number, show up on Mondays and eventually you can submit your dossier. The SDA is the state department in charge of adoptions.
- The facilitator got the the front of the line and submitted our dossier last Monday. Yippee!!
What's next?
- The SDA has 20 business days to look over our dossier and either accept or reject it. They have been known to reject it for very mundane reasons, so we are by no means out of the woods. Hopefully, they won't find anything and will approve us. Also, those 20 days seem to be, for the most part, non-binding. At one point it was running a lot longer than 20 business days. I'm not sure where it is right now, but we can be assured it will be at least four weeks before we'll have a chance of hearing anything.
- If we are approved, the SDA will give us an appointment. The appointment is usually set for at least two to three months in advance, which means if hear from the SDA in mid-September we're probably looking at a appointment date in mid-November or December. The timing isn't stellar. I really don't want to be gone during the holidays...but we're relying on the Lord to work out the timing.
- When we have our appointment, we'll travel to Kyiv (pronouned Keev - according to Meshack's native teachers in his Ukraine class) to meet with the SDA. We will be on our own for this appointment. Our translator will have to remain outside. This part is a little nerve-wracking for me, but I have been assured they will prepare us for this meeting and I think our experience in Russia has prepared us, at least in part, for this appointment. We will be shown a few files (it varies...some people are shown only a couple, while others are shown six to eight or more)...and then we will be given a short amount of time to decide if we want to meet with one of the children.
- If we decide to meet one of the children we will be given a piece of paper giving us permission from the Ukrainian government to meet with them. If we decide that none of the children are meant to be in our family, then we could possibly wait for another appointment.
- Assuming we go to meet a child and feel that she is the one God has chosen for us, then we will start the adoption process. The timing varies a great deal at this point and is largely dependent on the region we travel to. Essentially, we have to send some papers back to the SDA to let them know of our intentions, once they send the approval back, we can set up a court date. After court we have to wait 10-days for it to take affect, then another 10 days for the child's passport and then a few more days for her American visa. We're trying to figure out, and probably won't be able to do so until we're closer to travel, whether we'll make it a one or two trip process. There is the possibility that we'll come home and then I'll go back to bring our little girl home.
So there you have it...the timeline to the best of my knowledge. Honestly, I'm not too sure what we're going to be doing with the kids yet. Leaving them with family is a possibility. They will all be in school, and our family is all out in Colorado, so this will cause some hardships. We've thought about trying to take them with us, but we did that last time when we adopted Punky and JacJac and while it was priceless, it wasn't a lot of fun! :) Imagine two new children, ages 12 months and 20 months along with a four year old who was incredibly jealous of the 20 month old Punky. Oh! Fun times, let me tell you!!! I swore I would never do it again!
At this point, I'm considering having both family, church members and maybe a hired babysitter stay with the kids. I don't want to pull them out of school and don't want to put them through the stress of travel. I'd like to try to keep their routine as routine as possible while we're gone...but we'll see.
Maybe you all could be praying on that one for us? :>

2 salty messages:

Kathy and Matt August 18, 2007 at 9:00 PM  

Congrats on getting your dossier submitted! Ours has been in Ukraine since mid-to-late April and we're still waiting. I know our facilitator had several families before us, so she's doing all she can.
Anyway, celebrate. This is a great milestone.
We'll continue to follow your journey!

jessy August 19, 2007 at 3:13 PM  

Of course we will be praying! Hey, did you get my e-mail?

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption

Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP