Powered by Blogger.

disconnected

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

We're cut off.
Disconnected.
Discombobulated. (I love that word.)
We've been thrown back into the dark ages.
Our home Internet is down.
Aaaaaaaaah!
How did we ever live without our beloved DSL?!
And what has the world come to, that my husband called me today to commiserate with me. He is off on Tuesdays and he was actually considering going into the clinic so that he could jump on the Internet?
I know how he feels, although I don't think I would get quite that extreme.
I'd go next door to the neighbors! :)
The worst part is he called the Internet provider and they think our DSL box is fried.
And we can't get a new box for a few days.
They suggested going back to dial-up.
Gasp.
I didn't think we'd have to resort to that!
We left the dial-up world last year and haven't looked back once. But I guess if we want to have any access at home before Friday, we're going to have to pull out a phone cord and plug 'Betsy' in.
I know what you're thinking.
You're thinking - 'What wimps! They'll never make it in Ukraine.'
You may be right.
Sigh.
We do have one thing going for us though.
The last time we adopted, in 2002. There was barely an Internet in Russia. We had to wait for a translator to drive us 20 minutes to the only Internet cafe in town and then have her translate everything for us so we could send a four sentence email.
This time we're taking our own laptop.
I think we'll be fine. ;)

5 salty messages:

Gail,  October 16, 2007 at 5:48 PM  

I'm not thinking "whimps" at all. I am thinking, "Oh poor you!!" I would hate to be in your shoes (or at your house.) LOL
Gail

Nataliya October 17, 2007 at 11:33 AM  

Oh-oh... Welcome to the club! I also can't function without a high-speed internet :) I'm preparing myself to the fact that I won't be able to access Internet 24x7 in Ukraine :) Though I think we'll survive, won't we?

E. October 17, 2007 at 7:51 PM  

Dial up? And I thought my wirless card dying was bad. (Which it is, by the way, because I'd rather be in bed reading blogs right now, spoiled American that I am) *sigh*

MoscowMom October 17, 2007 at 8:17 PM  

Having not had internet on and off for the past year (who knows why; it's still not 100% fixed), I can sympathize! And it's how we have any connection to the USA at all! (Our phone is through the internet and we rely on e-mail. It's also how we get our news).

I lived in Moscow in 1991 before any internet... I remember standing in long lines on Tverskaya St. near the Central Telegraph office to send faxes...

Life is SO much easier here for tourists. There are more internet cafes and WiFi is available in throughout the city. Even some McDonald's have it.

Good luck!

Melissa E. October 18, 2007 at 9:01 AM  

I don't know how people live with dial up!! press on! They do live, and therefore, it must be possible...

:-)

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP