Powered by Blogger.

First down...54 to go

Monday, October 8, 2007

54 days.
Wow.
Only 54 days left before we take off for Ukraine.
Yep...we got the tickets.
We bucked the recent trend and went ahead and booked round-trip tickets with Delta.
And we'll be flying through P@ris, which should be interesting. I'm pretty nervous about that leg. I've heard horror stories.
I'm choosing to trust.
Now it's time to move on to the hundreds of other things on our list...like getting new suitcases. Why didn't I do this while we were waiting to be submitted, or waiting for our appointment date?
It's beyond me...I could have saved myself so much time!
I also need to start looking for a new camera. Our current digital is a simple point and shoot with no zoom...it was one of those B!ack Friday specials a few years ago. We bought it at the time just to get our feet wet in digital photography. Now is not a time for wading...we're going to be swimming in the deep end!
We looked this weekend and it just intimated both of us to no end.
UGH!
The other project this weekend was officially starting a real, on paper to do list. This HUGE checklist includes the above items and about 30 more things we need to get done before we leave for Ukraine. (And it's still growing!)
Here are a few items already on the list (I'll post a complete one, one of these days)...
- Have furnace checked.
- Gather movies to take with us and set DVR to record favorites while gone or better yet price a S!ingbox - (hubby REALLY wants this one)
- Compile list of people who can help parents out while we're gone (someone to shovel driveway, backup babysitter, mechanic, etc.)
- Update wills and guardianship papers, just in case.
- Buy Christmas presents (we'll be gone, which means no last minute deals this year. I need to have it done BEFORE B!ack Friday! - Sigh)
You get the idea...the list goes on and on and on.
And we have 54 days to get it done.
No...wait. You can't count the weekends, you never can get anything done on the weekends.
Make that 40 days.
Well...and then you've got to take out Thanksgiving Day and Halloween. I'm not doing anything on those days that doesn't involve kids and food.
Sigh.
That leaves 38 days.
Not so bad.
There's two of us...we can handle it.
Anyone know where we can find a good camera?

12 salty messages:

Rachael October 8, 2007 at 6:09 PM  

I use the Canon PowerShot SD 750. LOVE it. It's really small, except the screen is large (which is nice for looking back at your pictures). Takes great pictures (and video), isn't too intimidating to use, and the battery lasts forever! We bought it right before our Russia trip.

I'd be stressing out about the Christmas part. At least you have a good excuse to keep things simple this year.

Gail,  October 8, 2007 at 6:23 PM  

Gosh Tami, that sounds like so much fun!! I am excited for you.
Gail

DoveFamily October 8, 2007 at 7:55 PM  

One piece of advice - don't put all your clothes in one suitacase and all hubby's in the other. Mix things up! Our friends who are in Ukraine right now went thru Paris and their luggage was lost. Hers turned up the next day, but his was nearly a week later. So she had everything, he had only the few items from his carry-on.

Leslie October 8, 2007 at 8:58 PM  

Try 13 days! I'm doing a lot of deep breathing and focusing. Wait . . . that sounds like labor. Oh, the irony! We have the Canon Rebel XTi and love it. Very user friendly SLR camera. It will grow with you over time.

Old DAN AND Little ANN October 9, 2007 at 12:35 AM  

I worked on Christmas today a little too. The girls are done and so it was Daddy's turn today. He is getting spoiled. Cabela's +++. He is so low maintenace all year that I really try to do his Christmas up right! I found ggogle searches for most popular 2007 gift for 8 year old girl (for instance) yeilded some great results. Good luck1

Courtney October 9, 2007 at 8:09 AM  

I think we have it easier since we don't have any kids at home. We can plan at leisure and we don't have so much planning for the kids to do (babysitters and all of that). That's why we have so much time to work on the house! :)

Mike & Tara October 9, 2007 at 8:45 AM  

I'm on the Christmas buying part of my check-list too! Normally I spread my Christmas buying over several months - I'm surprised my credit card company hasn't called yet to ask what in the world is going on!

We bought a High Sierra suitcase from Macy's when they had a good sale. The neat thing about it is that is a hard-backed duffle that also has back-pack straps which can zip away if not needed. I've read so many stories about running to catch a train - and we thought maybe having the suitcase on our back (if our backs don't give out) might help....but I'm a newbie at this and don't know if it will help or not! :o) Good luck! Hope we meet in Ukraine! We arrive Nov. 25

Nataliya October 9, 2007 at 9:30 AM  

Don't worry about Paris. I read horror stories too, but I actually had a layover in Paris last year (on business trip), and it wasn't bad at all. As long as you have some decent time between flights, you should be fine.

I'm also using Canon PowerShot SD 850, and I just love it.

Good idea about the Christmas lists, I should start on this right now.

kate October 9, 2007 at 10:34 AM  

Hey...Rach has MY camera. It's got a little lag time in the shutter. I'd like something faster...but those all cost over 1K. Nope.

I have a slingbox. Let me know if you want info.

kate October 9, 2007 at 10:35 AM  

oh--try overstock.com or andora camera online. i think costco actually does good camera deals...

adoptedthree October 11, 2007 at 8:32 AM  

We did the Delta-Paris leg for two adoptions. My advice stash some of those little water bottles (or better yet for me a diet pepsi bottle) for the wait in Paris. The problem was we didnt have any French money and didnt want to get french coins back with our dollars!

Also once you get your ticket from the gate you will sit in a little room without food/drink or potty and you might sit there awhile. That is why the beverages above were nice to have on person ahead.

Paris also has a crazy tram system. international flights departing are on the OTHER side of the terminal and you get on the crazy tram or huff it!

Good idea about mixing up suitcases! I have never done that but that is brilliant- but then again I way overpack anyway. Do bring a change of clothes you would want to wear out in a carry on including undies. This guarantees one change of clothes at least for both!

The crazy thing is that when we were approved to travel to the NAC before it closed we had (seriously no joke) from that Sunday around 3:00 pm to our departure on Tuesday at 7:00 am to get everything done including tickets! Less then two days. That included getting a place and stuff for two boys accomplished, packing, getting everything paper ready at home, getting plane tickets, dogs kenneled, MONEY and odds/ends (Oh and did I mention I had to work on Monday for four hours and get that done too)! Ha ha it can be done!!! :)

Calico Sky October 12, 2007 at 1:55 AM  

54 days?! WOW I am in awe!!!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP