Powered by Blogger.

a good chick flick

Monday, October 15, 2007

Has anyone noticed those numbers up there?

They keep counting down...
and down...
and down...
We're getting closer...
and closer...
and...
Well, you get the idea.
We are now past the 50 day mark and are chipping away at the 40s.
It's a little surreal, honestly.
In less than 48 days I'll be on my way to Ukraine.
To find my little girl (boy?).
Wow.
Sigh.
We're making progress on the list.
I started compiling DVDs to take with us to Ukraine.
We had started out taping shows from the DVR onto DVDs to take with us...we haven't been watching much TV this fall at all, in hopes of saving it for the trip.
HA!
Our laptop is so old it can't handle CD-RWs. Only CD-Rs. And according to Meshack that means we'd have to take an arsenal of CDs with us.
Not going to happen.
So...
Last night I started searching through our DVD collection.
Funny thing is...
ALL OF OUR MOVIES ARE KID'S MOVIES!!!!
We don't have anything for us to watch!
Those of you with kids at home already...have you ever noticed how many kid's f!icks you have? We have Lion King I, II and 1 1/2, T0y Story I & II, Mu!an 1 & II, Br0ther Bear I & II...
I am sensing a theme here....
There's Herbie, Cars, Monsters !nc., a bushel of Veggieta!es and gaggle of 1-2-3 Penguins.
Finally, after a lot of searching I was able to dig out B@ck to the Future - the trilogy, L0nesome Dove, Grumpier 0ld Men and Hunt for Red 0ctober.
No chick flicks at all!!!!
What is wrong with this picture?
I guess all of my favorites are on VHS.
Hmmm...must have been awhile since I bought a movie for myself.
Well, I'm remedying that!! I got on Ha!f.com last night and ordered two DVDs...While You Were S!eeping and Kate and Le0pold. Two of my favorites.
But I still need more. I'm going to be there a loooong time and there's no way I'm putting up with watching James B0nd every night!!
So, girls I'm turning to you for help.
I need some suggestions for some great chick flicks.
I have a few more in mind, but I'm sure there's something I'm missing.
It needs to be available on DVD...and CHEAP.
Romantic comedies are my favorite...
But any and all suggestions will be considered.
And did anyone notice that while I was typing this blog the counter just turned to...

47 DAYS!!!!

14 salty messages:

Rachael October 15, 2007 at 5:52 PM  

The ultimate chick flick (well, really a PBS (BBC?) miniseries) is Pride and Predjudice. That could chew up several delicious hours!

Do you watch Grey's Anatomy? I have Seasons 1&2 on DVD that I'd happily loan you. Email me if you want them, and I'll slip them in the mail.

Missy October 15, 2007 at 5:56 PM  

I LOVE both of those movies. And you're right...you should have a few chick flicks to keep your mind occupied. Guy movies just don't do it for me...especially when I'm stressed.

Lucia October 15, 2007 at 7:56 PM  

I can SO relate to the kid movie arsenal!! We have doubles of a lot them from our both having been divorced and collecting movies for the kids. We actually have 3 copies of Lion King on VHS! LOL

Chick flick suggestions ... hmmmm? Ever After with Drew Barrymore, A Walk to Remember with Mandy Moore, I Am Sam with Sean Penn, Beaches!!, Steel Magnolias with Julia Roberts, Once Around with Richard Dreyfuss, The Lake House with Sandra Bullock, Terms of Endearment with Debra Winger/ Shirley McClaine, StepMom with Julia Roberts/Susan Sarandon, Shall We Dance with Richard Gere/J Lo, Pretty Woman & Runaway Bride with Richard Gere/Julia Roberts, and ... of course ... Titanic!

Hope this helps! :o)

adoptedthree October 16, 2007 at 8:35 AM  

We actually ended up not watching as many dvd's, as we thought we would. Instead, we went to cafes and played card games with our facilitator and her brother. We would go out to a local mall or read or hit the internet cafe or play on the computer.

Some of my favorite oldies, I can watch over and over (I really dont see many grown-up people movies anymore either):

Jerry McGuire
Forrest Gump
Always

Old DAN AND Little ANN October 16, 2007 at 8:47 AM  

We watched "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" last night. I must say that one should be labeled a classic if it isn't already. Another one I like is "The Holiday". Best of luck to you!

Nataliya October 16, 2007 at 9:02 AM  

How about "Sleepless in Seattle" and "Pretty Woman"?

Tami October 16, 2007 at 2:40 PM  

I forgot about Titanic! How could I forget that?! I'm sure we have it at home...somewhere.

Is Eight Enough? October 16, 2007 at 3:18 PM  

When A Man Loves a Woman - Andy Garcia / The Holiday (newer release) - I love the list you have already been given!

Christina October 16, 2007 at 7:10 PM  

As a girl and a child of the 80's and a huge Wham! fan, I *loved* Music and Lyrics (Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore).

Kristen October 16, 2007 at 8:58 PM  

Two more for you:
Fried Green Tomatoes and
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood!
I'm praying for your journey, as someone who hopes to make a similar one in the not-too-distant future.

MoscowMom October 17, 2007 at 8:12 PM  

Golly, wish I could mail you some of ours... Since we have no tv, we buy everything we watch on Russian pirated dvds... Our first two years here, most movies cost $3, so we bought pretty much anything we were remotely interested in seeing. If you'll be coming through Moscow, I'll happily give you a bunch!!

By the way, where *will* you be going ? I'd love to meet you if you come here! Need a place to stay in Moscow over the holidays? We're gone and our apartment is kid-furnished and available...Another US friend has an apartment near the US embassy that she lets people rent short-term for real cheap, too...

MoscowMom October 17, 2007 at 8:22 PM  

Hey, just realized you're going to UKRAINE, not Russia... It's 5 a.m. and I've been up most of the night with a sick kid. I'm just not thinking straight... All of my comments had Russia in mind... You'll find WiFi in Kiev, too, though; I hear it's very easy to find there. Ditto about internet cafes.

Will you be venturing out to the small towns? Now THERE is a different story. If you haven't seen it, check out my July entry from when we got back from the Ukraine... "Life in a Small Ukrainian Town," or something like that! Wish you could show that entry to people who wonder why you're adopting internationally... If only people in the US could SEE the circumstances people are living in...

mary,  October 18, 2007 at 6:35 AM  

We returned 10 months ago with 2 beautiful little sisters from Ukraine.
We borrowed DVDs from friends to take (put them in a CD case to save space) ... but we didn't watch as much "TV" as we thought we would.
It was so much more fun going to the internet cafe to read/write e-mails (we had our laptop ... but of course we both wanted to use it!) and update our blog, go shopping, hang out with other adoptive parents we met, etc.
But you've been down this road before ... so you know what you like!
Blessings on your journey!!

kate October 21, 2007 at 8:45 AM  

Love "While You Were Sleeping". How 'bout some Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks and, nach, Princess Bride. ;>

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP