Powered by Blogger.

losing a friend

Friday, October 12, 2007

I got an e-mail this morning from my mother.
One that you never want to get.
She told me that a dear friend had been killed in a car accident this morning.
And just like that, my friend was gone.
I met Terri growing up in Colorado.
We attended the same church and while she was an adult, and I was just a snot-nosed, punk kid - she became my friend.
Someone I could look up to.
Someone I could trust.
When I started high school a few years later she became my teacher.
And I had to start calling her Mrs. B.
But she was always more than my teacher.
She was a dear friend.
All through those tumultuous years she was there.
She not only taught me English and Spanish...she taught me about life.
She smiled when she found out I had a crush on Meshack.
She hugged me when she found out he felt the same.
She cried with me when we broke up my senior year.
And was thrilled for me when he asked me out again a year later.
All the while she handed back papers with As and Bs on them; taught me about literature, punctuation and outlining term papers; and directed me in school plays.
Terri encouraged me in my love of writing and guided me in finding the right school to pursue my dream.
When she found out Meshack and I were engaged, she volunteered to help with the flowers.
And she oohed and aaahed over Q-ball when we first brought him home.
The last time I saw her was at my parent's church last Christmas. We were home for a quick vacation and Meshack needed some advice from her husband (who is also a vet). Terri and I talked about the kids...she showed me pictures of her new grandchild.
And I shared the secret that we were thinking about adopting again.
She was thrilled...gave me a hug...and a few minutes later walked out the door.
Then on this gray, Friday morning at just after 9 a.m. she she headed to work...
Just like she did every weekday morning.
Driving the same stretch of highway...
Listening to the same radio station...
Probably planning out her day.
Just as she did every morning.
And then in a split second -
She was gone.
I know I'll see Terri again.
I know her perspective on things right now is so much clearer than mine.
I know she's happy.
But I still can't help but be a little sad.

7 salty messages:

Missy October 14, 2007 at 6:12 PM  

Oh, Tami, I am so sorry you have lost your friend. I truly know what you are going through and I wish I could give you a hug right now.

Rachael October 14, 2007 at 7:46 PM  

What sad news. So sorry to hear it.

Is Eight Enough? October 14, 2007 at 8:29 PM  

Tami,

I can just hear how wonderful your friend was. A real bosum buddy. I am so sorry for your loss.

Hugs.

Nataliya October 15, 2007 at 8:28 AM  

Tami, what a moving tribute to your friend... It brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry...

kate October 15, 2007 at 11:35 AM  

(((hugs))) what a blessing to have had a friend like that! i'm so sorry for your loss.

Lucia October 15, 2007 at 7:25 PM  

Tami, I am sorry for the loss of your friend. It will be a joyous celebration in Heaven when you are reunited.

MoscowMom October 17, 2007 at 7:55 PM  

I'm so, so sorry for you... My best friend was also my teacher first, and a large part in why I became Christian... I pictured her as I read what you wrote and it's like having my heart ripped out... I am so, so sorry. I bet her family would love to read what you wrote. If you're able to attend her memorial service, I bet your words would comfort many.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP