Powered by Blogger.

argument in aisle 5

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

I don't usually get this passionate about luggage.
It's all pretty cut and dried to me.
I just want a valise to get my clothes, makeup, hair accessories, shoes, pjs and other paraphernalia from point A to point B!
I don't really care what color it is, as long as it's not pink with purple polka dots. (Although that would be pretty easy to locate in baggage claim!)
Meshack has never been married to any particular type of suitcase either. He's pretty easy to please. Make it easy to carry or pull and he's all over it.
But something came over us this weekend.
And it wasn't pretty.
Who would think that two adults would be reduced to carrying on about carry-ons in the middle of Wa!-Mart!
And if that weren't bad enough...
It was IN FRONT OF THE KIDS!
Ufta!
What a sight we must have been!
No seriously harsh words were exchanged...and voices weren't raised much above normal talking level...but anyone within a three aisle radius could just tell.
The tension was thick.
The brave souls who tried to push past us in the suitcase aisle, smiled sympathetically at our children.
One man even tried to help.
Poor guy.
Couldn't he see his sage advise was falling on deaf ears?
We were as set in our opinions as day old oatmeal on my kid's breakfast bowl.
I wanted two medium sized suitcases - because as any SANE person will tell you...when I travel back to the states by myself it will be nearly impossible for me to lug a HUGE suitcase along with a diaper bag and a toddler sized child!
The smaller the better.
Meshack wanted to buy the five-pack...because it was a good deal. Even though there's no way I can pack all my junk in it's tiny, little medium sized suitcase.
Yes...I know.
Pathetic.
I'm sure everyone that pushed past us in that aisle was thinking the same thing.
In the end we gave up.
We walked away mad.
Meshack went on to buy birthday supplies for Punky.
I took Punky and Q-ball to the van to wait.
About 45 minutes later, Meshack came out pushing the 5-piece suitcase pack in the grocery cart.
Sigh.
I guess this is when I need to think about my new camera!
And make plans to go back for a medium size bag!

9 salty messages:

Carrie November 8, 2007 at 10:31 PM  

((hugs)) I've had my share of public fights with the hubby, though our are usually in Costco for some reason. Tensions are high right now give yourself a lot of slack. BTW, I would have killed my hubby if I saw him wheeling the offending suitcases out of the store... That's just NOT cool.

Courtney November 9, 2007 at 9:19 AM  

Any luck with the boots yet? I'll be wearing my Columbia snow boots pretty much the whole time, I think. They're not the most fashionable, but they're not bad and should be fine for court and everything else. If I get really desperate I'll buy something there, but it's more important to me that my feet be warm than fashionable!! ;) Have you looked at Lands End? They have some great reasonably-priced boots.

Nataliya November 9, 2007 at 9:46 AM  

I think you are right - it will be very wise to go back and buy that medium bag :) That's what I usually do when we have a disagreement: I pretend to agree, but then go ahead and do my own thing :)

Tonya November 9, 2007 at 11:29 AM  

Here's my advice - and I came back by myself with a toddler. Get a medium sized hiking backback. You can carry that on your back, put the strap to the laptop case over your shoulder carry the diaper bag in that same hand and hold the child with the other arm. It's not pretty but it works. Send everything you don't really need home with your hubby and I mean everything. Keep out two pairs of pants and a few sweaters and send the rest home with him. It worked for me:)

Troy and Rachel November 9, 2007 at 3:20 PM  

I laughed out loud reading this post. I think everyone has had a normal 3-aisle argument in Wal-Mart. Later you all with laugh like crazy when you tell your newly married daughter after her first fight with her husband about the offensive suitcases!!

P.S. Go back and get the bag!!

Christine November 9, 2007 at 5:57 PM  

It's just stress associated with your upcoming trip. It will make your marriage stronger in the end and will give you something to laugh about years down the road. "Honey, remember that argument about the luggage."

Kathy and Matt November 9, 2007 at 9:19 PM  

It's so nice to read about other couples that have the same type of disagreements that we do. LOL!
Thanks for sharing.
BTW - I completely agree with your rationale for the suitcase that can be handled easily with a child in tow. Best of luck!

Old DAN AND Little ANN November 10, 2007 at 12:01 AM  

It's the stress. We have had some whoppers lately about equally dumb stuff. It's a lot to take in and process and someitmes we forget that the person across from us is in the same boat we are. GRACE - we MUST no we WILL have it. But giving it? Well....get back to ya on that one!

adoptedthree November 10, 2007 at 1:26 PM  

Tami
We brought a larger suitcase, two medium duffles, small wheeled backpack, daily backpack for use (substituted for purse) and laptop case.

DH took the suitcase home with all of the collectibles (buy these before he leaves so he can take them home) etc, extra clothes, camcorder and anything I would no longer need. I was left with the med. duffle and backpacks. The small wheeled backpack I used for Oksana's things. I had the laptop but later gave it as a present to my facilitator, then it was hers to carry-

I bought a stroller in region.

Dont buy any luggage that you don't want ruined. I had to leave my large more expensive suitcase on the hotel with a busted zipper during my first adoption!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP