Powered by Blogger.

let the packing begin

Saturday, November 17, 2007

I never did go back and get that suitcase.
Sigh.
I figured it would be just one more expense - and I'd rather save that money for VIP service at the Kiev airport.
For some reason this trip I'm wanting as much hand-holding as possible.
Maybe it's the new country.
Maybe it's all the stress lately.
Maybe I'm just getting old. (Hey! I'm only 37!)
You'd think I'd be an old hand at this by now.
Nope.
Take for instance, the packing...
I took the plunge and started putting stuff in the suitcases this morning...(it was really starting to pile up)...
and I realize just how much 'stuff' I was trying to stuff in there.
I know I don't need all of it...but even after three international adoptions I'm still afraid to leave some of it at home.
Take, for instance, the large bottle of baby powder.
Chances are, she'll already be potty trained.
And if she's not, I won't have her with us long enough to really justify a LARGE bottle.
But I purchased a large bottle anyway.
It's taking up too much room.
I'm putting that back on the 'to buy' list...
- one SMALL bottle of baby powder.
I've already put in my clothes for court...a skirt, blouse, the boots and I need to go to K0hl's for a black sweater. I'm wearing everything but the skirt, with other outfits, which of course cuts down on the number of clothes I need to take.
That's good.
Speaking of clothes...I'm going to just be myself this time.
On the last three trips I tried to blend in.
It didn't work.
They can spot ya a mile away.
So, this time I'm just going to be myself.
Jeans, sweaters, tennis shoes for everyday.
I'll save the boots for snowy days and the slacks for the SDA and dinner out.
I'm trying to be real minimalistic about all of this.
I was proud of us on the first three trips.
On our one week trip to get Q-ball we kept it to one suitcase and a diaper bag.
Same with our first trip to meet Punky and JacJac.
When we did our three week trip for court, we kept it to two suitcases (for 5 people...pretty good if you ask me.)
For some reason this trip is starting out as a three suitcaser...my goal is to cut it down to two and two carryons.
That's the plan for now.
It'll change.
I know a lot of this stuff is going to come right back out of the bags as I rethink and over-think my packing philosophy. ;)
I'll let you know how it all comes together.

6 salty messages:

Old DAN AND Little ANN November 17, 2007 at 2:29 PM  

We made it out with three LARGE bags and two backpack carry-ons and of course a stroller. It will be less on the way home once the food is eaten and the diaper bag is converted into carry-on #3. I'm proud of you for starting to put things IN the bags. That was a real mental hurdle for me this time. I think you are on to something with the small bottle of powder. it took us a year to use a bottle of that stuff with our girls.

Tina in CT November 17, 2007 at 3:52 PM  

I don't know what it'll be like in Dec. in Kiev but in Moscow, it's snow and brown slush/sludge season. You don't go anywhere outside w/o boots or you'd have wet, yucky shoes/feet.

You're smart to buy the small baby powder. It goes a long way.

Happy packing.

The O'Haras November 17, 2007 at 11:39 PM  

Packing..ugh you are starting early ;) I think we waited til the one week mark...We had a medium size roll around, a small roll around and my Military Seabag. I am very thankful for the seabag...we used it to take stuff over, it remained empty til we came home with stuff for the girls and it was easy to simply toss in with the other luggage and not have to drag an extra bag...plus it has shoulder straps...a big plus going up and down stairs with all that luggage.

You are in our thoughts and prayers...Stay strong!

Courtney November 18, 2007 at 5:56 PM  

Packing?!? You're making me feel behind!! I wasn't planning on packing until after Thanksgiving! :) I do already have a box that has all of the small items in it and I have a list of everything in that box, as well as an actual packing list that is getting checked off as stuff ends up in the bag. That should count for something, right?? ;)

Troy and Rachel November 19, 2007 at 11:00 AM  

I love packing in advance and then re-packing and re-packing some more. I think it may actually stress me out more, but for some reason I love it!! Definately go for the small bottle of baby powder!! Sounds like you do have a handle on good packing!

Chris and Virginia November 20, 2007 at 12:30 PM  

I can't imagine all the things going through your mind on what is really needed and what can be left behind. Guess we'll just have to wait till it's our time.

We don't know what airline you are flying, but Aerosvit only allows 10.2 pounds for carryons (from what others have said). My laptop is nearly that :).

I've read elsewhere about the VIP service but I'm unclear as to their benefits. Could you clue us in.
goldhound @ nvbell dot net

Thanks

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP