Powered by Blogger.

two things down...

Thursday, November 1, 2007

...a thousand to go.

I checked a couple more things off the list in the last couple of days.
I bought a photo album, ordered pictures and have started working on putting it all together.
MoscowMom has graciously offered to translate everything into Russian for me, so I'm quickly trying to get the list of pictures together for her...but I'm not sure I'm going to get it accomplished. I sure do appreciate the offer though!
Thanks MoscowMom!!
I also checked with the bank on the money situation this afternoon. I'm not sure what to make of this conversation...

  • Me - 'My husband and I are getting ready to complete an international adoption. We will be cleaning out our account in the next few weeks and need to have the good, clean, new-looking bills in $20s, $50s and $100s. Who do I need to talk to about getting these bills ordered?"
  • Teller - "I don't think we're going to be able to help you."
  • Me - Dumbfounded - "Can you tell me why?"
  • Teller - "I do the money ordering and we are not able to get brand new bills."
  • Me - "The bills don't have to be brand new. Just in good shape...new-like. The $20s you just gave me from your drawer would be just fine...there are no visible folds, marks or tears."
  • Teller - "I just don't think we'll be able to get that much new cash for you."
  • SILENCE
  • She looks at me.
  • I look at her.
  • SILENCE
  • Me - "Sooooo...what do you suggest I doooo."
Eventually she pointed me in the direction of the bank manager, who was very polite and helpful. Thank goodness...I don't think I would have been held responsible for my actions if I had to deal with that teller one more minute! It's a bank for heaven's sake - where else am I supposed to get the money? The adoption fairy?!
They certainly don't deserve any gold stars.
But I think I do.
Tomorrow I check one more thing off the list...
It's a biggie.
The flu shot.
Pray for me.
I think I'm going to need it.

12 salty messages:

DoveFamily November 2, 2007 at 10:21 AM  

Ugh, flu shots. I got mine last week when I got my second Hep B vaccination. I figured I might as well do both while there.

Good luck on getting more items checked off :)

kate November 2, 2007 at 10:36 AM  

Happy to do any translations you might need...into Russian or Ukranian. Let me know if Moscow Mom gets overwhelmed.

Ken and Joy November 2, 2007 at 11:23 AM  

Hey there! I had the same issues with the bank. I called probably 10 different LARGE Institutions before I finally found a small branch inside a Wal-Mart that was able to help me!

Good luck!!
Joy

Old DAN AND Little ANN November 2, 2007 at 11:34 AM  

Ufdah! Shots are no fun. I had dental work done yesterday. My cheek still is sore this morning where he injected me!

Christine November 2, 2007 at 4:55 PM  

They act like we are asking them to just give us the money for free. I've got to just chuckle over the money thing. I oredered money for our last adoption, wrote down the name of the person I dealt with, and she wasn't even there the day she told me to come and pick it up. Agh!

Debbie November 2, 2007 at 7:35 PM  

Tami, I'll pray...you know how I feel about shots! :-{

Gail,  November 2, 2007 at 9:28 PM  

Yes, you do deserve the gold star. Less than a month! WOW!!
Gail

Leslie November 3, 2007 at 4:12 AM  

I had to call the larger branch of our bank in the city, not the one I ususally do banking with. It seems they did the money ordering from the reserve. The guy at our main branch didn't have the slightest idea of how to do what I was asking. Once you get in touch with the right person, it all goes smoothly. Its the "little people" along the way that seem to trip up our progress!

A Special Family November 3, 2007 at 5:16 AM  

I just can't beleive it, I remember when you started this journey and now here you are going to Ukraine!
I am very excited for you. Good luck with that flu shot :)
And a big thank you for your kind comment when I was ill, it really meant a lot!

Mike & Tara November 3, 2007 at 10:24 AM  

We had similar "uncomfortable silences" when we spoke with the teller at our bank. She finally called over the bank manager, who said we'd only need to give them a weeks notice and they could go thru their drawers during the week to pull out clean bills for us. I've read to also bring $5 and $10 as some items (like a notary) will only be that much and the notary will not have change.

Nataliya November 3, 2007 at 12:42 PM  

Oh no, I can't believe the teller told you she can't help you! Though I heard from many people about the same problem. In our bank I went straight to the customer service and the representative assured me it won't be a problem.

I'm also done with the pictures - it took a long time to pick the best ones!

And I'll be happy to translate into Russian for you as well!

MoscowMom November 4, 2007 at 11:32 PM  

Hi, Tami! Chris is already in America, but I still wouldn't mind helping. You could e-mail me the translations and we'd e-mail them back to you ready for printing as a pdf (so the Russian wouldn't get scrambled). I couldn't help you with Ukrainian, though... How great that Kate could... And Natalya.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP