Powered by Blogger.

the great Kiev summit

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

We had soooooo much fun!
It was a blast to finally meet the people we had only known in bloggy world!
Mark and Courtney and Sue and her husband, Chris, joined us for dinner at O'Panas in downtown Kiev.
If any future PAPs are looking for a good restaurant with authentic Ukrainian food and decent prices, you should give this a try.
The atmosphere was great.

It was set in a little hut-like thing in the middle of a park across from Kiev University.
The menus were in Ukranian and English with pictures to boot.

How easy is that?
Point and order.
Meshack ordered deruny and borsch.
I had a steak with a yummy sauce.
One word…
Delicious.

Okay, maybe two.
Mmmmmm.
And I’m not usually the adventurous type.
I even tried Meshack’s food.
And I have to say the borsch was good.
Yea...surprised me too.
We had a great time.

Half the fun was getting there.
Since we are complete novices at the Ukrainian bussing system, Bogdan offered to find someone to take us to the restaurant. Natasha and her boyfriend, Maxim, graduates of the orphanage system, did a great job of helping us navigate the bus and subway system to downtown Kiev.
Natasha helped us pay the one Hryvnia to ride the bus each way…led us through the city streets to the subway entrance, down the stairs and into the tunnels leading to the platform.
Maxim kept track of us.

A tough job I might add.
Do you know how hard it is to keep up with two Russian teens, who are in a hurry and are wearing black in a sea of other people wearing black?
Anyway...on the way, we walked past street vendors selling everything from liquor to housewares, CDs to hairbands.
We literally walked by a fish for sale, resting on a cardboard box.
After an hour, we finally made it...a half an hour late.

Thankfully, Mark, Courtney, Sue and Chris are patient people.
We had a great time, but a couple of hours later it was time to head home.
We had to get Natasha back to the graduate house before 10 p.m.
But there was a little problem getting home.
The plan was to leave just a little before 9 to give us plenty of time to get her home. We were finished with dinner and were sitting and chatting while we waited for the waitress to show up with the bill.
She never showed.
We waited and waited…
Finally, Meshack went back downstairs to see if he could get a menu to figure out how much we owed. Mark and Courtney offered to take care of it for us, once the bill actually came.
Even so, we didn't get out of there until 9:20...poor Natasha ended up late.

I hope she didn't get in too much trouble.
We had today off.
Since it rained most of the day, we spent a lot of time in the apartment.
We went out for a little walk and a quick trip to the grocery store...
But we spent the majority of the day reading, talking and catching up on our Zzzzzs...
Good thing.
Tomorrow's the appointment.
It's the big day.
I'll let you know how it goes.

14 salty messages:

Lindy December 4, 2007 at 4:04 PM  

Hey, that food sounds great! I would have gone for the potato cakes and borsch. Wow, I'm hungry.

Kiev sounds like a neat place. That is so exciting that you got to meet the other couples. I can imagine how much you enjoyed that. I'm also glad you're getting some rest and relaxation. I think both of you definitely needed that.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow on the Big Day, and will be anxiously waiting to hear all about it.

adoptedthree December 4, 2007 at 4:11 PM  

Fingers and Toes crossed for you!!

How fun to meet other PAPs as well! Glad you are enjoying yourselves.

April December 4, 2007 at 4:24 PM  

Praying still! Can't wait to read about it tomorrow!

Waitingonmyua2 December 4, 2007 at 5:52 PM  

Praying for tomorrow. Tell Courtney I am on pins and needles waiting to hear how her appointment went! love to all of you!

Old DAN AND Little ANN December 4, 2007 at 5:57 PM  

That sounds like a fun day. I don't think they like to rush you with the bill here either. We always have to hunt it down at the end of a meal. They would let us expire in our chairs if we waited on them to bring it!

Missy December 4, 2007 at 5:59 PM  

You are in my prayers...(but you have been for a long while). I am dying of curiosity. I'm not sure how you're handling all this!

Tina in CT December 4, 2007 at 5:59 PM  

What excitement to meet the two other couples after all the blogging.

Tackling the public transportation when one does not speak the language is definitely adventuresome. A year after graduating from college, I toured around Europe by myself armed with my two years of high school French and my French and German dictionairies. I did spend a week in Paris with a college friend living there and a week in Holland with my Dutch cousins. It was so easy to get around and I didn't have any problems. When I went to my daughter's in Moscow for Christmas three years ago, I was not as adventuresome and did not venture out without her (she is fluent in Russian).

You needed the days of R&R today as you'll find it hard to sleep tonight anticipating your big day tomorrow. I'll be looking forward to reading your blog tomorrow when I get home from work.

SB December 4, 2007 at 6:13 PM  

Hope tomorrow goes well! I'm a college friend of Courtney & Mark and have recently been keeping up with your blog too. Lots of prayers coming your way for a smooth process.

Christine December 4, 2007 at 11:02 PM  

Sounds like you had a wonderful evening. :)

adopting2fromUkraine December 4, 2007 at 11:33 PM  

Thanks for reporting on your evening. I meant to say, Have Fun, in the last comment, but you did anyway! lol

Will be praying for you and looking forward to the report on your SDA appointment and other news.

From your fellow Groupie:)

Ken and Joy December 5, 2007 at 8:07 AM  

Yeah! You made it! I am so excited for you to be starting this journey! It is so much fun. I hope all goes well with your appt. Can't wait to hear about it.

Lynda December 5, 2007 at 9:28 AM  

Wow, it sounds like you're having a wonderful time! I'm having problems with Skypes. I think I paid $35 and still can't get it to work. E-mail me when you can! I miss you already! Lynda

Kathy and Matt December 5, 2007 at 9:55 AM  

Sounds like a great dinner with other PAPs. What fun!

Praying for your appointment!

DoveFamily December 5, 2007 at 2:56 PM  

We may have to try O'Panas tomorrow before heading home! We tried borscht while in region and we both loved it (we were shocked too!).

Can't wait to hear about your appointment and referral.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP