Powered by Blogger.

safe and sound

Monday, December 3, 2007

Saying goodbye to the kids was much harder than I thought it would be.
As we were hugging the kids I kept whispering to them…’Daddy will be home soon, Daddy will be home soon.’ I couldn’t bear to remind them of how long I would be gone.
And I wasn’t prepared for how difficult it would be to walk away from my little ones. Those teary little faces kept popping over the divider as the kids jumped to sneak a peak over the frosted glass on the other side of security.
It broke my heart.
And Meshack’s too.
We blew kisses and hurried toward the gate.
The last glimpse I had of my babies was as our plane pulled out of the gate and headed toward the runway. All three of them were lined up at a window in baggage claim waving.
Anyone teary yet?
I talked to Q-ball, Punky and JacJac for a minute on Skype a little while ago. They were getting ready for school and Mom says they're doing fine.

Sigh.
On to happier news.
We’re here. It’s about 3:19 p.m. Kiev time and we’re finally settled in.
Actually, we arrived a few hours ago and have been working to get a few things settled before taking a much-needed nap!
We are staying in the Internat 12 – an orphanage for older children.
Their deputy director, Bogdan, has set up a wonderful opportunity. The orphanage has a guest house they rent to traveling families, and all of the money goes back into the orphanage.
And from what I hear, it’s cheaper than staying in the city’s center.
A win – win for everyone.
We have a nice three room flat…a living room/bedroom combo, with a kitchen and bath. Everything is brand new…very nice. There’s even a washing machine.
But we’re scheduled to move out of this apartment in a few hours and into a bigger one. Bogdan has been a HUGE help to us. He volunteered to walk Meshack across the street to the grocery store to pick up some stuff – he even translated for us so we didn’t pick up the dreaded Kefir on the first try! J
He came back with a internet card so we have unlimited internet access now – well, unlimited during the evening. During the day we share the phone line with the orphanage so we have to keep online stuff to a minimum.
And he’s coming back by in a few hours to help us go to dinner.
Yep, it’s time for the great Kiev summit!

Mark, Courtney and another couple who has an appointment tomorrow will be there. Both of those couples live near the city's center where the restaurant is, we on the other hand are going to have to take a bus (or two) and the subway downtown, before hiking the rest of the way.
I'm looking at it as an adventure.
One of the kids who used to live in the orphanage (aged out), whom Bogdan works with, will ride the bus and metro with us to the restaurant. And then we get to ask the waiter to call us a cab to bring us ‘home’.
Yep…we’re living on the edge! ;)
Tomorrow we are supposed to meet with our facilitator, Leo, and go over what will happen at our appointment on Wednesday morning. Other than that it sounds like a free day, so we may try to talk that teenager into being our tour guide.

I'd better run. It's time to move to the new apartment.
(Sorry, no pics for now. We have a VERY slow dial-up...it's going to take forever. I'll try to figure out something soon...although we didn't really get any pictures taken today. I need to correct that tomorrow!)

18 salty messages:

Kathy and Matt December 3, 2007 at 3:32 PM  

So glad you got there safely.
Your description of saying good by to the kids did bring tears to my eyes...that's the one part of this process I dread the most.

Sounds like your accomodations are good and great that the money can benefit the orphanage.

Have fun exploring!

Lindy December 3, 2007 at 3:33 PM  

Sounds like a pretty good setup you've got there - a washing machine, even! Wow. Hopefully, there will be one in the bigger apartment, too.

I was thinking about how in the world you were going to be able to say good-bye to the kids. That couldn't have been easy at all!!But now you're there, and the time will fly by until you get to bring Maddie home!

Think of all the great stories you'll have to tell the kids when you get back. That Skype is a great thing, too - how wonderful that were able to talk to the kids already!

Enjoy everything and soak up the culture.

Old DAN AND Little ANN December 3, 2007 at 4:13 PM  

Glad you made it safely. I am going to see my girls in 3 more days and I am still crying each day for them. I have been strong until this week but this week has been so tough! I'll pray the time goes quickly for you. Enjoy your adventure together. Hold onto Jesus for the comfort and wisdom you will need while you are away from home and doing all that needs done to bring your new child home!

Troy and Rachel December 3, 2007 at 4:21 PM  

I am so glad you made it safe and sound and yes - you had me teary eyed over you leaving your kids. I'm such a sap!! Can't wait to hear more.

Debbie December 3, 2007 at 4:47 PM  

I am being very brave and not getting teary. I refuse! I can tell it was really hard to say good-bye to the kids. But I'm so glad you're there and are being so well taken care of. I'll be praying for your appointment on Wednesday!

Waitingonmyua2 December 3, 2007 at 4:51 PM  

Glad to hear you arrived safely. I'll be praying for a quick trip for you so you can get home to your little ones quickly with their new sibling. Tell Mark & Courtney I said hello! I'm praying for them, too! B

Tina in CT December 3, 2007 at 4:59 PM  

What a perfect arrangement the orphanage has to rent out the apartments to adopting families.

How nice that you will get to meet up with other parents over there that you have been corresponding with here back home in the States.

When will you get to find out about your daughter and meet her?

I've been thinking of you as you had to say goodbye to your children and begin your travels.

John & Lucia,  December 3, 2007 at 6:14 PM  

Oh my gosh ... teary?? How about more than teary? I can just imagine seeing your little ones in the window as you pulled out of the gate.
Glad to hear that you are in Kiev and looking forward to reading your very descriptive entries about your adventures there! Praying that all goes well on Weds. for you!
Blessings,
Lucia

Christina December 3, 2007 at 7:05 PM  

Saying goodbye to my older two was the hardest part about going to VN - in the end I missed them much more than they missed me!
That apartment sounds great - and how neat to know the money will help the orphanage.
So glad you are there safe and sound, can't wait to hear about all your adventures!

Gail,  December 3, 2007 at 7:47 PM  

Tami and Meshack,
Glad to hear you made it safe and sound. It does sound like you are on an adventure. I can't wait to hear more!!
Gail

Hannah E. December 3, 2007 at 10:23 PM  

Glad you made it! We're leaving Friday...don't know if we'll cross paths or not!

Good news today for us: The last of our funding has come in! Praise God!

adopting2fromUkraine December 3, 2007 at 10:45 PM  

Tears were starting pretty quickly after the first sentence or two. My boys are bigger, but I think I'll still have tears leaving them, though they won't.

Glad to hear you made it safely. Sounds like you have a pretty good set-up where you are. Wish I could be at the Groupies dinner;)

kate December 4, 2007 at 3:55 AM  

How amazing to get to stay in the internat! I can't wait to hear about your big adventure.

Blessings.

Amy K-S crew December 4, 2007 at 7:42 AM  

We're so glad to hear you're all settled in and it's going well. A washing machine, who could ask for more?! The kids do bring tears to the eyes everytime!

Nataliya December 4, 2007 at 7:57 AM  

Yes, you made me cry... I can relate to your feelings of leaving the kids home! Just remember - sooner or later you'll be hugging them again!

Sounds like Bogdan is a very nice man, and your accomodations are great! I'm so glad you were able to meet Mark and Courtney and other couples!

Good luck tomorrow at your SDA appointment!

Calico Sky December 4, 2007 at 8:53 AM  

So glad you had a good good-bye with your three cuties!
Can't wait for the next installment.
What a wonderful place to stay!

Chris and Virginia December 4, 2007 at 9:54 AM  

Yeah!! and part 2 begins. I hope your appointment went well today and you got to spend some time exploring your surroundings.

As tearful as the separation is, just think about the home coming :).

Lori KP December 4, 2007 at 2:54 PM  

Sounds like so far you've done alright.....Hope things stay that way for you. :) Keep the good new coming.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP