Powered by Blogger.

we're not in kansas anymore

Saturday, December 8, 2007

Since we've got some time on our hands, we went sightseeing today.

Forget the metro, grocery stores and sidewalk vendors we've been visiting the last few days.
This time we wanted to see all the touristy stuff.
So up and down the streets of Kiev we walked, taking in the sights and sounds surrounding St. Andrew's, St. Sophia's, Independence Square and Khreschatyk street, with Allya, our facilitator's sister.
She needed to practice her English.
We wanted a tour.
It was the perfect partnership.
We did some shopping, took tons of pictures and ate at McDonald's.
I know what you're thinking, but we've been eating authentic Ukranian food all week - our facilitator Lev, insisted on it! :) I think he made it his mission to teach us as much about Ukranian culture and cuisine as possible. So we needed a touch of home.
Besides...we may be heading to the region next week and from the sounds of it, it's a small village. I doubt they have a McD's there.
Speaking of the region...we're not exactly sure when we'll be heading out. We thought it would be mid-week, but we got a call from the head facilitator tonight who made it sounds like it might be more like next Friday.
Sigh.
The time is quickly getting away from us. At that point we will have been here almost two weeks without much to show for it.
Sigh.
Oh well...the key is to try and get the court date as quickly as possible, so Meshack can get home. After that the timing doesn't matter that much.
Please pray for a change in the heart of the orphanage director.
We're hoping we can get our referral letter on Monday. If so we can visit as soon as the director will allow.
We're asking Lev to call the orphanage on Monday to let the director know...
Tuesday's good for us! :)

16 salty messages:

Ken and Joy December 8, 2007 at 3:55 PM  

Hey there! We are back in Kiev so if you want to meet up, we would love to meet you guys! Just e-mail me at luv2bgwee@yahoo.com. We are in one of the apartments by the Golden Gate and Uno's Pizza.

I am glad to hear that you will be able to leave next week to meet this little girl. Everything will work out!

Ken and Joy Rae

Chris and Virginia December 8, 2007 at 7:22 PM  

Our prayers are with you to get through this quickly and with Maddie to get well soon so she can go home with you sooner than later.

Rachael December 8, 2007 at 7:50 PM  

Glad you're finding good ways to pass the time! I know it's hard, especially with the three at home, but try to think of it like a little romantic honeymoon. When else will you get so much down time, alone, together? Things will be crazy in a few short weeks, with 4 kids (believe me, I know!), so try to enjoy the forced laziness now!

Still, praying for a change of heart so you can meet your girl sooner!

Missy December 8, 2007 at 7:51 PM  

I'm sorry that you have to wait...you've done so much of that already! But if you didn't feel a connection to any of the other little ones, God must be telling you something. I pray the next few days (Lord willing it is only a few days) will go quickly!

Waitingonmyua2 December 8, 2007 at 8:32 PM  

Waiting isn't fun. Having no control over things isn't fun.

Know I'm praying for you all the time. This is probably going to take longer than you thought and probably be harder than you'd hoped (as it already is), but know God is very near.

blessings, B

The O'Haras December 9, 2007 at 12:48 AM  

Oh, I can feel for you. We had so many unexpected delays. It is all in God's control though. I do strongly suggest that you think about going home after court with your husband though. Yes, I understand the expense, but you would be saving some money in a place to stay and food too. It is a long road ahead and if there is not a "need" to stay in country I highly suggest you go home. In the course of the next year will the extra $1000 it might cost for a ticket be worth your sanity. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the decisions you have in the next couple of days and weeks.

Nataliya December 9, 2007 at 9:25 AM  

Tami, I'm home and I was finally able to check your blog. I so understand your frustration, but I feel like you made a right decision to wait for your little Maddie! I second the O'Haras suggestion to go home after the court - I can tell you it means a lot to go home and recharge.

You guys are in my thougths and prayers, I'm 100% sure everything will work out just the way it's supposed to be. Hang on there!

Anonymous,  December 9, 2007 at 10:17 AM  

So glad you are enjoying the sight seeing and soaking up the culture. I'll be praying it all works out!
Kate
http://aspecialfamily.wordpress.com

Steve Eimers December 9, 2007 at 10:19 AM  

We are here, too! In fact, today, though very foggy, we saw those same sights..but we ate Ukrainian.

Melissa E. (Not Steve--I just noticed he was signed in and I didn't want to mess with signing him out)

kate December 9, 2007 at 10:58 AM  

isn't kiev BEAUTIFUL! i love that city. i love that COUNTRY. if only singles could adopt...easily...

my friend always goes to Mc D's when she's missing ice in her Cokes.

enjoy your adventures!

Tina in CT December 9, 2007 at 2:39 PM  

I am thinking along the same vein as Rachel. This will be the last time for a long time that it'll be just the two of you so cherish it.

Once you are back home with all four children, life will be busy.

Hope all goes smoothly and your legal process goes quickly.

Tonya December 9, 2007 at 4:51 PM  

I am so happy for you! I kept feeling like you should meet this little one but I hate to barge in with my two cents worth when I am not the one in the middle of the situation. Make sure the orphanage director knows that you are planning to donate something to the orphanage. That may soften her up:).

Amy K-S crew December 9, 2007 at 4:55 PM  

We'll pray the orphanage director will have a change of heart and you'll be able to meet this little one sooner than Friday. Try to enjoy your time although it is hard being away from everyone at home.

Kevin and Krista December 9, 2007 at 11:15 PM  

Praying you are able to get to her quickly and start to bond. What an amazing time!

Krista

Troy and Rachel December 10, 2007 at 9:04 AM  

I know it must be hard to wait and wait, but it will be worth it. We wil be praying you can head to the region sooner. I'm glad you got to sight see - your pictures are wonderful. We're all out here thinking about you...

Lindy December 10, 2007 at 9:36 AM  

Pictures! Isn't that architecture something? And the color they put on their buildings.

I agree with Rachael's comment - enjoy your time together while you can; things will get very busy once you get back home!

Hoping the time will go quickly until you get to leave for the region and meet the precious little girl. I do hope they don't make you wait until the end of the week!!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP