Powered by Blogger.

we're sleeping on it

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Thank you everyone for your prayers, your support and your honest feedback. It has been a true blessing to come back to the apartment tonight and read all of the notes of encouragement.
Thank you.
I would like to update you on where we stand, but unfortunately there's not much new.
We had another appointment this afternoon (technically considered to still be our first appointment). In that meeting we were shown some new files.
Now we have a difficult decision to make.
Do we go ahead and meet one of these new children?
Or do we wait for the other girl?
Thankfully the SDA has given us until tomorrow at noon to decide.
We will have an answer for them.
We just don't know what it will be yet.
The real challenge of international adoption is avoiding becoming a slave to your circumstances.
It is so easy to do.
We are far away from home...far away from our kids...far away from everything and everyone we hold dear.
It is difficult to do even the simplest things without assistance, which gets REALLY old, REALLY fast! :) We can't even read the street signs for heaven's sakes, which means if we go out for a walk we have to make sure we take our cell phone with us in case we get lost (a real possibility).
We don't dare take the subway...because we can't tell what stop we started at and where we need to get off. And we can't hire a cab to take us anywhere because we can't negotiate a price.
When buying groceries at the store down the street it's a toss up as to whether we'll come home with what we were looking for...because we can't tell what is in the packages.
I don't want to sound like we're complaining. We're not.
We are enjoying our time here and this week has flown by.
It's just that all of these things makes daily life difficult.
And if you add a week into an already long process, we know by the time we are done we will be incredibly tired, stressed and more than ready to come home.
A week makes a big difference.
But we also know we are not on our own timeline...we are on God's.
It may just be that He's trying to remind us of that.
Our job is to figure out what all of it means.

What we do know is that we will do whatever it takes to bring our child home. Whoever it is.
That's the problem...the knowing.
If it is the little girl, then by all means we will wait HOWEVER long it takes to bring her home...but is the child God has for us, one of the little faces looking up at us from the files this afternoon?
We don't know.
Only God does.

17 salty messages:

Rachael December 6, 2007 at 6:04 PM  

Anxiously awaiting more news. Praying for peace and a clear answer for you.

http://web.mac.com/ham.fam/iWeb/Site/Blog/Blog.html,  December 6, 2007 at 6:58 PM  

We are really pulling for you. You have been put in a very difficult position! If you look close enough there are signs you can read. And no matter which child you bring home they WILL be the “right” one. Best wishes, Karissa Cunningham

April December 6, 2007 at 7:07 PM  

Praying. Praying for clarity and direction and peace.

Shelly December 6, 2007 at 7:20 PM  

Oh, Tami... What a tough decision. You are absolutely right - a week is a reaaaaalllllly long time when you are in another country and have children at home waiting for you. Very tough choice indeed. Uff.

Sending hugs and prayers of support. Hoping a good night's sleep will help you know better what you should do.


Missy December 6, 2007 at 7:23 PM  

Oh, Tami, I will be praying extra hard for you tonight. I hope that God makes it so clear it is as if He whispered the answer in your ear.

Kathy and Matt December 6, 2007 at 8:06 PM  

Thank you for posting an update, even though you don't have definitive answers yet.
It is encouraging to hear how the SDA seems to be working with you and for those of us who are also hoping to adopt little girls, it is encouraging to hear that you were able to see a few additional files today.
I appreciate your candid description of what it feels like to need help for everything. I know we will be in exactly the same place. You are absolutely right about how it increases the stress of the situation.
Continue to seek God and He will provide the answers you need. I hope it helps a little to know that so many of us are praying for you as well.

jessy December 6, 2007 at 8:41 PM  

Oh, Tami, what a difficult decision to make. I am sorry that you both have been put in this position. God's peace to you.

Gail,  December 6, 2007 at 8:48 PM  

I am praying God will leave you a note on the counter. Wouldn't that be nice?

adoptedthree December 6, 2007 at 9:27 PM  

I have thoughts email me about them at boomersyler@yahoo.com

Otherwise remember some problems are only surgical while others dont fit your dreams

Peace and blessings

Amy K-S crew December 6, 2007 at 9:57 PM  

Hi Tami,
We're so sorry to hear about this heart-wrenching decision. It's so hard, but God will direct you to your child whether it be this little one or another. God has a perfect plan for this little girl whether it be in your home or possibly another. We'll be praying for you and Meshack.

Julie December 6, 2007 at 10:59 PM  

Oh Tami, what an incredibly challenging situation! I will pray that the Lord will speak to both of you, that he will clearly open doors that lead to his will for your family, and close all other doors.

kate December 7, 2007 at 2:22 AM  

You'll know. ;>

Some tips to make daily life easier:
1. Get a metro map in English and Russian. (I'll look online for you.) You can at least count your stops and know when to get on or off. And, I bet you're recognizing letters by now. Just look for the first few letters.

2. To flag a gypsy cab without knowing how to speak, have out the amount of money you're willing to pay, show them and just state where you want to go--or show them the address written down.

3. Look for pictures on products and for country of origin on the shelf tags. Let me know if you want some Cyrillic.

4. Call me! I'm in your time zone and stuck home with in bed for three more days!

My greatest fear in all of this is that I will have to turn down a referral. I pray that the right child/ren are referred to me FIRST.

You'll know.

k xo

Mike & Tara December 7, 2007 at 2:54 AM  

Hi Tami I pray that you are given a sign to find your duaghter. Mike and I were also frustrated at the language barrier but once we made our decision the frustration eased. It will feel better. I'm still selfishly hoping you end up in our region.

Waitingonmyua2 December 7, 2007 at 7:13 AM  

Hi Tami, I can so relate to your feelings of things "getting old fast" in having to get help to do everything. I was so there this last June-August when I was stuck in Ukraine (yes, I said "stuck"). It was very hard at the time, as you know, but it (the daily living part) get easier the longer I was there. By the time I left at the end of my 9 weeks, I could go to the market and buy whatever I wanted without any problems, take the mashruka around town, hire a translator on my own, and more. You're smart and resourceful and I'm sure you'll get some things figured out quickly. Depending where you end up, I might know so folks that can help. I'm praying for your decision - one only YOUR family can make. hugs, Beth

Lindy December 7, 2007 at 9:02 AM  

Well, it's 5 p.m. in Kiev, so you have made your decision several hours ago. I know the time leading up to that decision was tough - but you've made it, and you're one step closer to bringing Maddie home.

Troy and Rachel December 7, 2007 at 9:08 AM  

We'll be praying for your decision. I'm glad you were still considered in your first appointment. Take care - we're thinking about you.

Courtney December 7, 2007 at 10:28 AM  

Thinking and praying for you guys! Anytime you want some "pa engliskii" give us a call. ;)

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption

Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP