Powered by Blogger.

almost done

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

We have the Tax ID number.
Boy...that was easy. I hate to even mention how easy it was because it has caused so many other people such headaches. Lev was in and out in a couple of hours.
While he was doing official stuff...I was doing fun stuff.
I took our cab over to the orphanage and visited Maddie.
It was the first time I had seen her in two days...and she was THRILLED!
As soon as she saw me she ran across the room and threw herself into my arms yelling, 'Maaaama, Maaaama, Maaaama...' in her cute little Ukranian accent.
It melted my heart.
She took me by the hand to the play room where we sat down and started digging through her backpack.
While she was trying to figure out what to play with first, I chatted with the French couple.
'Have you been sick,' the wife asked.
'No...just paperchasing.'
'Aaaah,' she said with a knowing smile. 'Well, Maddie missed you very much. When she saw we were here to play, but you were not, she cried and cried and cried.'
Awwwww...she missed me! I'm so glad she missed me. I mean, I don't want her to HAVE to miss me...but I'm glad she did.
I'm just sorry she HAD to.
Good news though.
Starting tomorrow...she won't HAVE to!
Tomorrow is GOTCHA DAY!
Woohooooooooo!!!
Can I get a 'woohoo'?!!
Tomorrow Maddie leaves orphanage life behind her forever and starts a new one with the crazy clan I call my own.
Her life will forever change. I can't even begin to imagine what she will be thinking as we take off in a car, probably for the first time; ride a train - I know for the first time; ride in a plane - obviously for a first time; and meet her brothers and sisters, for the very first time.
There will be a lot of firsts in the next few days, but first we have some more paperchasing to do.
It's pretty simple stuff. The only thing holding me in Odessa right now is waiting for the passport. Once I have that I can return to Kiev (via train...ugh) where we will do the embassy bit.
Been there...done that...and I have three kids in t-shirts to prove it.
I can handle that part.
Then we get to come home. Hopefully in the middle of next week.
I can't wait.
Meanwhile...I've got stuff to do here.
I went shopping today for gifts. It's customary for adopting families to give gifts to the orphanage staff on their going-away day. I have to admit - I've always HATED this part.
I'm not good at giving gifts...especially to complete strangers.
And there are no gift cards here.
Sigh.
So I went with the old stand-by.
Chocolate, candles and if they're high-ranking...a pen set.
Easy peasy.
I hope they don't think it's too cheesy.
I also went shopping for a set of boots for Maddie to wear when she leaves the orphanage. Did you know even the most simple pair of snow boots run $70?
SEVENTY BUCKS!
Insane.
So I bought her rain boots.
Heeeheee.
They're ugly too. But at least she won't get her new pair of pink tennies all muddy. And if I let her wear them here, believe you me, she would get them muddy. Even if I carried her everywhere. The mud is incidious.
So I'll let her wear the nasty little pair of pink, plastic boots until we leave Kiev.
Lev complained her feet will get cold.
I told him she could wear extra socks.
Like I'm going to let my kid freeze.
Jimminy.
You would think I hadn't parented any children before. None of my kids have never frozen off a toe. And I will have you know that it is colder at home than it is here, thank you very much. I think I know what I am doing!!!!!
Okay...rant over.
Back to happy stuff.
So tomorrow I bring Maddie home to the cool apartment on Boonina street.
And she begins a new chapter in her life.
I wonder what it will be called.

28 salty messages:

Tina in CT January 24, 2008 at 6:40 AM  

By now, you've picked Maddie up and she has started her new life and Gotcha Day! How exiciting for both of you (and those back home in the US). Just think of the firsts today - taxi ride, eating in a restaurant, sleeping in a nice apt., etc. I bet you can't wait to get on the train to Kiev to get the rest of the paperwork done and board the plane this weekend. What a homecoming it'll be when the family meets you at the airport. Wonder what she'll think when she sees her daddy again and her beautiful new bedroom?

Waitingonmyua2 January 24, 2008 at 7:14 AM  

SO glad to hear the Tax ID number was so easy to get. Now, we'll continue to pray the passport will be as easy. I can't wait to hear you have Maddie with you - for good!

About the parenting thing, ya just gotta take it in stride. I've been a parent for 20 years and my facilitator's 20 year old helper (who is not a parent) was telling me how to parent my kids when I was in Ukraine. Heck, I'm older than HIS mother!

6blessings,  January 24, 2008 at 7:14 AM  

Glad you will have her tomorrow and will be almost done. She sounds so very attached to you already. That's wonderful. I'm sure she will love her new family.

Shelley January 24, 2008 at 7:58 AM  

WOO-HOO!!!! I'm glad things are going smoothly with all the papers. You know that now that you've mentioned them, you are going to have to post a picture of that cute little girl in her rain boots!
Can't wait to see those Gotcha Day photos!

Julie January 24, 2008 at 8:05 AM  

I am so excited for you. I have been following your blog for awhile and I am so happy to be saying congrats to you. Get that little girl home to her family!!

Julie January 24, 2008 at 8:46 AM  

That is great news! I can't wait to hear about Gotcha Day! :) You're almost done - can you see the bright light at the end of the tunnel? On another note - is the mud just everywhere? Should I bring rubber boots in March for me? Yuck! (not that I'm complaining...:)

Gail,  January 24, 2008 at 8:48 AM  

WOOHOO!!!!!
Gail

cara January 24, 2008 at 8:55 AM  

Good luck on getting that elusive passport! I can't wait to hear what your next post will be titled. Cara

Caroline January 24, 2008 at 8:57 AM  

WhooHoo here! Love that you're seeing those wonderful signs of attachment already.

What will you call your new chapter?

Love.

kate January 24, 2008 at 9:24 AM  

Hooray!! Welcome home, Mads. ;>

Anonymous,  January 24, 2008 at 9:40 AM  

WOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! As I write this, it's 5:30 p.m. over there on GOTCHA DAY!! HOW EXCITING!!! (I realize I'm cyber-yelling, but I can't help it!!) Can't wait to read the next post, about springing Maddie! It was so thrilling to read how she missed you when you couldn't visit and how she greeted you when you finally got back to her. I do wonder what she's thinking today!! I bet she's very happy to be with her mama for good! I am SO HAPPY for you and all your family. It's a great day for you all. -- Melinda H.

Christina January 24, 2008 at 9:59 AM  

WHOO HOO!!! One more day to Gotcha Day, One more day to Gotcha Day!!

So glad things are moving along so well for you!

John & Lucia,  January 24, 2008 at 10:10 AM  

WOOHOO!!!! Congratulations!!
Thanks for the reminder about it being warmer there than at home! 20 degrees where we live! :o)

Susan & Truman January 24, 2008 at 10:51 AM  

Tami - I am so happy Maddie will be all yours tomorrow! What a feeling that must be - I cannot wait!! I'm glad you can now see an end in sight and a possible return to USA next week. Don't feel bad, I would have totally gone for the ugly rain boots over the $70 snow boots any day!! (I guess I should be praising Wal-Mart instead of cursing it sometimes, huh?) I'll be reading...
Susan

Elaine January 24, 2008 at 11:51 AM  

Woo Hoo! How exciting that you finally get to take her home with you. I bet you can't wait to get HOME home. Good luck with the rest of the trip!

MamaPoRuski January 24, 2008 at 12:31 PM  

Congratulations and wooohoo!
When you have been home a while and have a chance to come to Seattle, please stop by for coffee, tea and chocolate!

Rachael January 24, 2008 at 2:36 PM  

Exciting times are ahead!

Poor kid, I bet she missed you, espicially not knowing. I'd love to be able to know what's going through her mind tomorrow though!

Debbie January 24, 2008 at 3:34 PM  

Woo hoo!!!!

I have been following along, but I've been sooo busy at work that I haven't been commenting. But you're in my prayers.

Congratulations!!

Kim January 24, 2008 at 6:13 PM  

WooHoo!!!! What a lucky little girl and what a lucky mama, papa, sister and brothers. Finally you are ALL a family. I am so happy for you.

Now just hurry up and get back here to Kansas!

The O'Haras January 24, 2008 at 10:08 PM  

I am so happy that you get to bring her out of the orphanage, that is awesome...our God can do wonderful things! Don't worry about the gifts either...We didn't do it and I don't think we were looked down upon, we had done enough at both of the orphanages over the previous month that I think it was all ok. Pink Boots, I agree why drop the coin for something that is only a fraction of that at home. Patience as God finishes up the details!

Lynda January 24, 2008 at 10:24 PM  

Hi Tami,
Woohoo!! That comes with a mixture of smiles and tears. The next few hours with Maddie will be hours to treasure. I hope God gives you sunshine! I can't wait for you both to get home so we can all get together! Love you lots and I MISS YOU!!

espe,  January 24, 2008 at 10:32 PM  

Woooohoooo!!!!
And God Bless Your Family!

Anonymous,  January 24, 2008 at 11:30 PM  

I just had to laugh at your ranting about Lev's parenting advice. I get so much advice over here that it makes me nearly crazy. It's kind of hard to take. Can't wait to hear about gotcha day. I am so excited for you! Christie

Kevin and Krista January 24, 2008 at 11:47 PM  

Happy tears! So very excited for you. So VERY excited for your daughter. Tomorrow is a day you will never forget. Take lots of pictures!

God bless,
Krista

Christine January 24, 2008 at 11:58 PM  

That is awesome Tami! Get a good nights rest because starting tomorrow, your days in Ukraine will be spent chasing an excited and curious child! What fun!

Anonymous,  January 25, 2008 at 12:09 AM  

Tami,

Yea!!! Yea!! I had to do that at least twice. How very exciting for you, Maddie, and the rest of your family. I can't imagine leaving those orphanage doors for the very last time knowing that God has now entrusted Maddie to you. What an amazing journey! Just so you know, it was -23 degrees (yes, that is minus) here today and we all managed to keep our fingers and toes. I think you'll do just fine keeping Maddie's. How funny! Can't wait to see your book on the New York's best seller list.

Love,

Jodi

Anonymous,  January 25, 2008 at 11:58 AM  

If my calculations are right, it is almost 8pm the day after "Gotcha day" for you. As a total stranger it may seem odd to say that I have been checking this blog every couple of hours for the last two days, but I have!I'm hoping for word that you got her and all is well! Hoping that you are just so busy with Maddie that you have not had time to blog. God bless you and please post soon!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP