Powered by Blogger.

flat, sweet flat

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

We're here.
Finally.
Boy, it takes a loooooong time to fly to Ukraine.
And it wasn't without it's hitches.
We started out early yesterday morning by arriving at the airport late.
Really late.
We barely had enough time to check the luggage, go through security and get straight in line to board.
Nothing like waiting until the last minute.
It was par for the course yesterday...we cut it close for every single flight.
But what we lacked in timing we more than made up for in entertainment. I think we had the most unique fellow fliers in the history of our adoption trips.
From Kansas City to Atlanta I sat between two women who had experience with adoption. The one on my right had adopted two boys, who are now full grown. The one on my left was adopted as a baby. It was great getting their perspectives...and it helped pass the time.
Meanwhile Meshack was a few rows back with a couple of guys who didn't speak a word. I think he liked it that way. He was able to catch up on some of his sleep.
When we arrived at Atlanta we had 45 minutes to find our gate...not nearly long enough. We had to rush…and I mean rush…to catch our flight.

And we both neeeeeeded to go to the little boys and girls room.
No time.
We arrived at the gate to find them in the middle of the boarding process. Great…we had made it, but UGH there was no way we were going have time to use the facilities.
Melissa and Steve must have thought we were a little off. We were so caught up in our need to find a lavatory, we had forgotten our blogging buddies were on the same flight to JFK. They met us at the gate and all we had time to do was to give each other a quick hello and onto the plane we went.
From Atlanta to JFK I sat next to Meshack...you know about him. ;)
When we arrived in JFK we met up with Melissa and Steve and headed off to make our connection to Kiev. Thankfully, this time we had over three hours to wait, so we stopped off at Burger King for one last American meal and some great conversation.
We talked and talked and talked.
I don’t think there was any lull in the conversation. While we had never met in person, it was like meeting up with old friends.
We finally looked at our watched and decided it was time to catch our flight.
The gate was further away than we thought.
We made it to the gate with seconds to spare. ;)
We got on board and make our way to our seats...27 C and D...middle seats.

In 27 E was an older man on his way to Ukraine to meet a female friend.
He's never met her before.

I think it's one of those international dating things.
Not sure...but sure seemed that way.

And the best part...he was a talker.
So for the first two or three hours we were entertained - even though all we wanted to do was sleep. He told us how he was from Norfolk, Virginia and was on his way to meet his 'friend.' She was a concert pianist, vocalist and was a professor at a local university.

He was supposed to leave the day before but had missed his flight. So the airline had put him up for the night, gave him some free meal tickets and a free drink for the plane.
Yep. I know everything about him now...
except his name.
I don't think he ever told me.
I did help him fill out his passport control form...but I forgot to check his name.
We finally touched down around 9:30 this morning 40 minutes early (we had a doozy of a tail wind)...and Bogdan was there to pick us up.
I don't think I've told you about him yet. He was supposed to be my first profile installment...before the court date notice.

You really need to meet him.
Anyway...it was so nice to see a friendly face.
He immediately brought us back to the flat we called home for three weeks in December.
Sigh.
It's good to be 'home.'
Only one problem.
We're not supposed to be here.
The plan was to run around today doing paperwork and then to head to Odessa tonight. Now it's all been pushed off until tomorrow and we won't be able to get on the train until 10 p.m. tomorrow night...which means we get into Odessa around 8 a.m. Thursday.
Court is at 11 a.m. Thursday.
It sounds like one of Q-ball's math story problems...

  • Two American's leave the Kiev train station at 10 p.m on an adoption trip to Odessa. The couple rides in a private berth on a train traveling 60 miles an hour, stopping every 10 minutes to pick up some more travelers, and they arrive at their destination at 8 a.m. How many hours will it take for them to look presentable for court?

Can't figure it out?
Let me give you a hint.
The answer is NOT three hours!!
They expect us to ride a train for 10 hours and then have to go to court three hours later? And we won't even have time to visit Maddie?!
I'm back in Ukraine.
There’s no point in planning anything…it’s just going to go right out the window.
I have to remember that.
I'm in Ukraine.
I'm in Ukraine.
I'm in.....

27 salty messages:

Troy and Rachel January 9, 2008 at 10:29 AM  

I'm so glad you made it there dafe! The flights sounded most interesting. Good luck in court! I know you can't wait to see Maddie again.

Waitingonmyua2 January 9, 2008 at 11:08 AM  

You're in Ukraine! With Maddie! Hang on for the ride. Close your eyes when you have to. The nausea will start to subside in 4-5 months. LOL Seriously, tough, hang in there, kiddo! She's almost home! SO GOOD to hear something from you. I am PRAYING, PRAYING, PRAYING!!!! Beth

annmarie,  January 9, 2008 at 11:14 AM  

:) Just do whatever you have to bring Maddie home!

Shelley January 9, 2008 at 11:36 AM  

Boy have you had an interesting journey so far! Sending up a prayer that all goes well at court tomorrow! Can't wait to see pictures of Maddie!

Susan & Truman January 9, 2008 at 11:54 AM  

I love your blog and have been watching to see when you'd post again! Good luck in court!

Rachael January 9, 2008 at 12:05 PM  

Good luck at court! I'm sure you'll look just fine. Just brush your teeth and go.

Nataliya January 9, 2008 at 12:38 PM  

Wow, your trip to Ukraine was indeed very entertaining! I'm very relieved to hear you made all your connections, and I'm sure you'll make it to the court on time! You are right - there is no point in planning in Ukraine!

Good luck tomorrow, I'm looking forward to your after-court post!

Ashley January 9, 2008 at 12:38 PM  

Wow! This makes me tired just reading. I keep feeling like I will be prepared for how it is in Ukraine by reading other peoples' experiences, but I still feel nothing is going to prepare me.

I am glad you made it there safely. I know it is hard, but hopefully everything will be over before you know it. And I hope you can see Maddie soon. I guess she doesn't go to court with you? I was thinking they do. Maybe it is just older children that do.

The math problem cracked me up. I know it is not funny to you so I can laugh from this side. I will be experiencing this before you know it and I am sure I will not think it is funny then. YOU will be the one laughing at me then! :)

Anonymous,  January 9, 2008 at 2:13 PM  

Well, it's a good thing you posted a blog - I was starting to go through "Tami blog" withdrawal!
:-) Looks like it's 10 p.m. there, so hope you're on the train to Odessa. They sure do seem to have a different perspective of time over there...here's hoping everything goes super well tomorrow! - Melinda

Debbie January 9, 2008 at 2:43 PM  

We'll be praying for you! This is such an adventure--and I know God is with you all the way!

Christine January 9, 2008 at 3:32 PM  

Glad you made it safe and sound! At least your luggage is with you. Remember the Boylan's? What if you had court without your luggage? Yikes! If you remember that, life will look pretty good right now, though hectic. :)

Can't wait for you to post a picture of Maddie! Waiting in anticipation.

cara January 9, 2008 at 3:44 PM  

Oh, Good Luck to you! I love your Math problem, but sorry I was never any good at them. We adopted from Odessa #3 two years ago. When we went to court, we hadn't bathed in 3 days because the water didn't work that week. We were in Ukraine 10 weeks and that's the week it didn't work. Then we were late for court because traffic was jammed for miles because of a small branch that was in the middle of the road---noone would stop and move the thing. Good luck, we're praying for you and can't wait to hear more. Cara www.norbycjukraineangel.blogspot.com

Christina January 9, 2008 at 3:51 PM  

WHOO HOO - You're in Ukrane!! How awesome is that?! Can't wait to hear about the train trip (loved your last train post!) and even more, about the court date!
Take care and enjoy the ride (literal and figurative!)

Gail,  January 9, 2008 at 6:12 PM  

Yes, you are in Ukraine and all is going to be wonderful now!!
Gail

Adrienne January 9, 2008 at 6:34 PM  

I'm so glad to hear you made it there safely. I know you must be exhausted! I'm sorry the man meeting his Ukranian female friend didn't let you rest!

Whoa...You have to ride 10 hours on a train!!??--I can only imagine--and then go to court 3 hours after that? I thought our 2nd 9 hour flight was hard, but we got to rest a few days before court! Oh dear Tami, I know you can't wait until court is over!

I can't wait to hear about court and sweet little Maddie!

Kathy and Matt January 9, 2008 at 11:27 PM  

You're blog posts are so vivid - I can literally see you running through the airports! So glad you made it safely to Ukraine and how nice you met with Steve and Melissa. Isn't it amazing how much of a bond we all develop with each other?

Praying for you as you travel to your court date and seeing Maddie again!

Is Eight Enough? January 10, 2008 at 1:00 AM  

How exciting that you are back!!! You make my night. I put the crowd to bed; even my hubby *grin* and then go and see if Tami has written!! You never disappoint in your witty style! I can't wait to hear that Maddie is yours!!

I get the "Maddie" thing, cause I have a "Morgan", too (besides the girls). Don't ask me about that on my blog though!! Email me privately! *smile*

Irina January 10, 2008 at 1:14 AM  

This madness! :) Tami, you have literary gift :) All will be good. Successful travel!

Amy K-S crew January 10, 2008 at 7:55 AM  

So glad to hear that you finally arrived! I'm sure you'll have an amazing story to tell us about how God worked everything out so you made it to your court date! Send us a picture of little Maddie as soon as you can!

Missy January 10, 2008 at 10:36 AM  

I pray court went well...and you have been to see your little one! It makes my heart sing knowing you are there with her!

Leslie January 10, 2008 at 12:42 PM  

I'm glad to hear you have made it safely back!
The only thing certain about Ukraine is the uncertainty.
I'll be praying that the rest of you trip is smooth, and Maddie gets home soon!
I'm waiting to hear about court and see some pics!

Anonymous,  January 10, 2008 at 2:53 PM  

You are so wrong!! You should have called- at least you could have crashed for a few hours!!

-Pam & Paul

MamaPoRuski January 10, 2008 at 3:30 PM  

Glad you made it safely, but it sounds like you forgot your ruby slippers to click the heels together...God Bless!

Jane January 10, 2008 at 6:23 PM  

It sure sounds like Ukraine to me. No point making any plans, they are bound to be changed. Glad you had such an entertaining time getting to Ukraine on your various flights.....

Old DAN AND Little ANN January 11, 2008 at 2:27 AM  

It is so amazing that already you are there again. Your life is moving SOO fast...even though it seems to always be full of delays and curve balls. Maybe you should nickname Maddie "Curve Ball". It would go nicely with Que Ball. Anyway, best of luck to you!

Anonymous,  January 11, 2008 at 9:45 AM  

testing...one, two, three...testing! Can you please update? I'm begining to think the site is broken!

Ruslan, Inna and Victor January 11, 2008 at 12:49 PM  

Hopefully you made there on time! Can't wait for your updates as you should have had court by now.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP