Powered by Blogger.

lexus or lada

Friday, January 18, 2008

The visit with Maddie was typical today. That's the way it gets with this process...each day is the same as the day before.
Today we went outside. Due to taxi troubles, I didn't get there until after she was already dressed to go outside, so I decided to give it another try.
It didn't work.
There's too many distractions...and no opportunity to really get to know each other. She goes from one toy to another...and I tag along.
And there are too many opportunities for her to walk up to other adults looking for attention. I need to be the one she gets attention from.
There is one orphanage worker who Maddie loves...and that's great. She gives Maddie candy EVERY time she sees her. That's not great. The girl can not handle her sugar!
And then there are the strangers.
Maddie walked up to a woman and gave her a hug.
She wasn't an orphanage worker....she was just walking through the courtyard.
Sigh.
We have our work cut out for us.
Maddie also decided it would be fun to run away from me when I told her to 'come here.'
The good news...I know she knows the meaning of the phrase.
The bad news...She's showing me she is going to test me...alot. And there's not a whole lot I can do about it right now. UGH!
After visiting hours were over, I made my way home via taxi...again.
You know...the whole time I've been here I think I've only had the same driver once. I know the OES staff and the orphanage are calling the same taxi company...boy, they must have a lot of drivers.
The funny thing is...you never know what type of car you're going to get. It's a toss up. Will you get a 2007 Lexus or a 1979 Russian Lada?
I've decided to make a game of it. (I've got to do something for entertainment...it's just me, myself and I around here.) I make a bet with myself as to which type of car will show up each morning. I'm thinking about rewarding myself if I'm right...how does a Snickers sound? :)
And maybe I should keep track and post the stats here on the blog. It could say something to the effect of, 'When you call the XYZ taxi company in Odessa you are ???% likely to get a Russian Lada.'
Umm....
Perhaps I have too much time on my hands! :)
Don't worry...my prospects are brightening.
Guess what I got to do this afternoon?
Just guess...
I went to lunch with Nataliya!
Yep...I finally met my blogging buddy from New York State.
We went to a lovely sandwhich shop where I had a chicken wrap and fries and she had an awesome dessert-like dish. It was sooooo good. She let me have a few bites, and then she took me over to the grocery store so I knew what to look for, if I wanted to buy some for myself.
You KNOW I do!
Afterwards, Natalyia had to track down some more court decrees, so we said goodbye with a promise to try and get together again before she leaves.
So I headed back to the apartment to wait for the kid's call, do more laundry (there's always laundry) and read a book.
Tomorrow morning it's back out to the orphanage for another visit with Maddie.
So what do you think?
What kind of cab will it be?
A Lexus or a Lada?

8 salty messages:

Svetlana January 19, 2008 at 9:38 AM  

Hi, I love read you blog :-)
Did you ever try to talk to cab and ask him if he can come on next day at the same time and ask him if he can pick you up after you done. It will save you from callin them every time. I am pretty sure he will like that if he can.
Sveta

Shelley January 19, 2008 at 10:43 AM  

My husband just loved the Russian Ladas...so much so that while I was waiting out the 10 days, I looked through a local toy store and found him one matchbox size. So, he got a present when mommy came home with the new sibling too :) Personally though, I vote for the Lexus!

kate January 19, 2008 at 11:48 AM  

i'm with sveta. contract with the driver.

loving maddie's hat!

there will be plenty of time to learn about families and obedience. PLENTY of time. ;>

Steve and Gail January 19, 2008 at 3:46 PM  

Tami,
If you can move to the OES main building in the next few days, we can help you. We are hoping to be ready to go to Kiev by the end of next week. On the cracker issue, we found some that are very similar to Ritz crackers.

Melissa E.,  January 19, 2008 at 9:50 PM  

Look this video up on YouTube;
type "Lada cows" into the search and be glad that guy isn't picking you u[!

Mike & Tara January 20, 2008 at 11:34 AM  

I meant to email you about this before and only just remembered. We had a problem getting our court decree apostilled as there is apparently a new procedure where the judge needs to sign the stamp at the end of the decree. Our facilitator had to go all the way back to Schniznoe to get the judge to sign it so we could get it apostilled. Our facilitator told us this is a new process and UA has a book with all the judge's signatures so that they can compare the signatures to any court decree. Just wanted to let you know as it caught out us and our facilitator (and the judge who had never heard of this either).

Anonymous,  January 21, 2008 at 9:26 AM  

Wow, cool that you got to got to go to lunch with Nataliya!

And it sounds like Maddie is a typical little kid, ha, ha. -- Melinda H.

Kevin and Krista January 21, 2008 at 11:16 PM  

I say wait for the Lexus driver and then book him for every morning. :) I am guessing they are a lot safer than the Lada's are and more comfortable too!

I am guessing a Lada though.

You are in the home stretch! How exciting.

Thought of this while I read your post and thought I would ask because I may need to know someday. I am assuming that you just buy laundry detergent there. Do they have something like Downey as well? I would think that clothes hung to dry would be a little softer with fabric softener.

Have a great day!
Krista

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP