Powered by Blogger.

she's ours!!!!!

Monday, January 21, 2008

Sorta...
Today is the day the court decree goes into effect. The 10 days of waiting are behind us and now we get to start the next round of paper chasing.
So, while I'm technically a mom of four beautiful kids now, I don't actually get custody of her until sometime later this week. I'll let you know when 'gotcha day' will be.
In the meantime, I'm chasing the all elusive paper.
Lev arrived around 9 a.m. and told me I needed to cancel my cab that would take me to the orphanage. We needed to run around all over town and wouldn't have time for my morning visit.
So I didn't get to visit Maddie today.
Sigh.
Maybe tomorrow.
Instead, I waited for Lev to change and then we headed to the courthouse to pick up the court decree. Evidentally there were quite a few changes that were going to need to be made, so Lev was just planning to drop it off and we would pick it up later.
It took an hour to drop it off.
(Insert hysterical laughing here...I'm at that point people! ;)
When Lev was finally done (I have no idea why I was even needed) we left and went back to the apartment and then out to lunch.
We dined at a cafe we ate at with Shad 10 days ago (has it really only been 10 days?!). I had a really good grilled chicken and rice. While we were eating I got a phone call. It was Sandra. She was on her way to Odessa...and could I use a roomie?
SURE!!
What fun!
Lev and I headed back to the apartment and met Sandra on the street corner. It was so good to see her again! :) We dropped her stuff off at the apartment, and after checking with Lev (who said he didn't need me at the courthouse), we headed out to explore the city. I took her to all the places I had been shown just a few days ago and gave her all the trivia I could remember.
She was impressed...I could tell! ;>)
We finally made it back to the apartment and talked until Sandra fell asleep...she hadn't really slept since she left the states so I guess I shouldn't assume she thought my conversation skills were lacking.
Tomorrow it's more paperchasing. We're supposed to go back to the courthouse to pick up the final decree and then head out to the town where Maddie was born to get the birth certificate changed.
After that, we'll try to get as much of the rest of it done as we can.
Hang on! We're in the home stretch!!!

21 salty messages:

Anonymous,  January 22, 2008 at 10:40 AM  

It's important you go with him, just to be sure they don't need your signature on something, or if something is spelled wrong. It's easier to correct if you are right there.

Anonymous,  January 22, 2008 at 10:52 AM  

It's a good thing you've reached the homestretch - I don't know about you, but I'm exhausted! :-) The closer you get to the end, the slower time seems to go. I am so anxious for you to finally bring Maddie home. -- Melinda H.

Gail,  January 22, 2008 at 11:10 AM  

YAY!! Almost finished. Next a new start.
Gail

Susan & Truman January 22, 2008 at 11:15 AM  

Ahh...the home stretch! I'm so excited for you! You will be home with your entire family before you know it and then you can help walk the rest of us newbies through the process! Thanks for blogging!

Rachael January 22, 2008 at 11:28 AM  

Big congrats to you!! Bummer about missing the visit. I wonder if she was dissappointed too? :( Soon, she will truly be yours, though and everything will change!Be sure and take pictures of Maddie's birth town. We missed that opportunity when our coordinator decided not to take us along since it was an hour drive. We got to spend the day with our daughter instead, but still, I'd like to have seen her birth town/place. I may never get that chance again.

DoveFamily January 22, 2008 at 11:51 AM  

Ah, the hysterical laughter... it's either a sign that you're losing it or the only way to keep from losing it :)
We quickly learned that there is no such thing as just dropping it off, at least not in the way we use the phrase in America. 'Just dropping it off' was at least an hour, on a good day.

You're almost there - Maddie will soon be with her mama!!!

Leslie January 22, 2008 at 11:52 AM  

whoo-hooo....you are getting very close to being home now! I know you are excited. :-)

Troy and Rachel January 22, 2008 at 12:18 PM  

Hooray!! Almost done and on yuor way home. Your doing fabulous!! I know you can't wait to get home and have all four kiddos with you!

Christina January 22, 2008 at 1:46 PM  

So exciting!! Hope all the paperwork stuff goes quickly! How cool you have roomie... now you have someone to talk to besides yourself! :-)

Allison January 22, 2008 at 3:19 PM  

Congratulations! You're so close now. I can't wait to hear that she's in your arms forever!

Waitingonmyua2 January 22, 2008 at 3:52 PM  

Praying over this week. It will be stressful, but hang in there.

Shelley January 22, 2008 at 5:32 PM  

Congratulations Tammie! Hopefully, all of your paper work will come together quickly with nothing to stress about and you will soon be on the way home with your daughter.

teresa January 22, 2008 at 5:37 PM  

Congratulations! We are so happy you've reached this milestone! We will pray for the details to be completed and done in God's timing. We've enjoyed the pictures and the video. All the kids are excited to follow your story, especially the girls. Can't have too many cousins!

Christine January 22, 2008 at 9:43 PM  

The home stretch. I bet you never thought you'd be saying that. :) Wishing you Godspeed!

Anonymous,  January 23, 2008 at 12:19 AM  

Tami,

I am going to see if I can actually do this blogging thing. Since receiving your Christmas letter, I have been following your journey very closely. What an amazing journey. Our family is so very excited for you! Maddie is so precious. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into her life in Odessa. It does look like she has been well taken care of there. Now, she will have an amazing family to begin the next chapter in her life. Can't wait to hear about "Gotcha Day!"

Love and prayers,

Jodi and the rest of the "J's" in Iowa

P.S. You have got to get this story published. You are such a talented writer!

Tina in CT January 23, 2008 at 5:47 AM  

I agree that you should publish your adoption journey.

Looking forward to your blog telling us that Maddie is now staying with you and your gotcha day.

So nice that you have a roomie to share this all with.

Stefanie January 23, 2008 at 6:29 AM  

Tami,
Sooo happy you are almost at the finish line. While in Ukraine in December I met Sandra while at the Orphanage with Bogdon in Kiev. Please tell her I said, "Hi! and congratulations". She was waiting for her eleventh hour and it came for her, Yeah!!
All His Best to you and your family. Stefanie
I absolutely love your sense of humor...its amazing and a must on a wild adoption journey in Ukraine!

kate January 23, 2008 at 8:57 AM  

happy mom-2-4 day! i wonder what maddie had to say to her caretakers when you weren't there today.

how nice to have a roomie. i think you'll both enjoy the company.

we had an ex-pat conversation about how we can do ONE errand in a day. when i told them one time i did THREE they were amazed. it's nice to have people who understand. ;>

cara January 23, 2008 at 11:12 AM  

Congratulations! Does Sandra have a blog, we would love to follow.
Cara
www.norbycjukraineangel.blogspot.com

April January 23, 2008 at 12:17 PM  

Yeah! We are so excited for you! Hopefully you can get all of the dreaded paperwork chasing done quickly so that you can pick up your little girlie for good! And I ♥ the hysterical laughter... that is just too funny. :)

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP