Powered by Blogger.

aaaah ha!

Thursday, February 28, 2008

I think we've figured her out.
We've discovered her little secret.
Call me crazy but I think Maddie can read lips.
We've been wondering for awhile why there was such a huge disparity between the moderate hearing loss showed in her auditory test and her seeming ability to hear everything.
Tonight we finally stumbled upon the secret.
We were playing the nightly 'where is' game.
Where is Mama?
Where is Daddy?
Where is sabaka?
Where is Walla?...when Shad leaned in close and whispered 'Where is Nick.'
She quickly pointed him out.
'See,' Shad said. 'The tests were wrong.'
'No,' I argued. 'You weren't sitting there. You didn't see how she reacted and didn't react to the sounds. She didn't hear them. The tests were right. Here...I'll show you.'
So I proceeded to whisper questions at a lower and lower level.
Still, she kept answering correctly.
And then the light bulb finally went on.
'She's lip reading,' I told Shad.
I asked the same question again, this time with my hand in front of my face.
Maddie just stared at me.
I tried it again.
She looked at me and then at Shad, as if to say, 'When is she going to ask the question.'
Shad was dumbfounded.
I was amazed.
I asked the same question, this time without uttering a sound, just moving my lips.
'Where is daddy?'
She pointed straight at him.
Wow! My kid can lip read. No wonder the orphanage director thought she could hear just about everything.
She had them all snookered...
bamboozled...
completely fooled.
I told you she was one smart cookie!

18 salty messages:

Shelley February 28, 2008 at 9:47 PM  

That's amazing! It's also wonderful for Maddie! At least now you know that you're not crazy and neither are the doctors!

Tina in CT February 28, 2008 at 11:31 PM  

What an eye opener. Yes, she is a sharp one. Even though she is doing the lip reading, you know that she is understanding what you all are saying in English. That's some feat considering the short span of time that she has been in the US.

mrsbroccoliguy February 29, 2008 at 12:44 AM  

What a little smartie! Amazing how adaptable kids can be.

adoptedthree February 29, 2008 at 6:00 AM  

Very interesting, especially since she is doing it in English!

pearly1979 February 29, 2008 at 7:56 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Waitingonmyua2 February 29, 2008 at 9:48 AM  

That is AWESOME! I knew you had one smartie pie there!

Mike & Tara February 29, 2008 at 11:03 AM  

That is awesome!! Maddie is certainly a smart cookie - it's incredible she could pick up lip reading in English so quickly!

Justine February 29, 2008 at 11:19 AM  

That is an amazing blessing!! Wow, her little world will not be so silent with her able to do that. I am so happy for you all!! Smart little one!!!! And in ENGLISH, to boot!

kitzkazventure February 29, 2008 at 12:46 PM  

Wow, she is amazing! Just crazy to me how these little ones adapt! Nick had really poor eyesight in one eye and we had no idea because he compensated so much with the good eye. So glad that you are quite the observer and figured it out...probably will help communication even more! Karen

Lindy February 29, 2008 at 1:00 PM  

It's all been said by the others, but I will repeat: Smart, smart little girl to have accomplished lip reading in English so quickly! She will really go to town when she gets her hearing aid.

Christine February 29, 2008 at 7:17 PM  

How cool! This little thing that she has learned will always come in handy. I'm sure she is one smart cookie!

Kevin and Krista March 1, 2008 at 11:33 PM  

Wow! That is pretty crazy that she is already able to read lips in her 2nd language! She must be a very smart little girl. :) I'm really not surprised though. She has seemed spunky and bright from day 1.

:) Krista

Adrienne and Jim March 2, 2008 at 1:22 PM  

She is so smart! Adults with hearing loss have to be taught how to read lips, and she has learned all by herself. It's wonderful she has developed a compensatory strategy at such a young age. She will be able to use this skill forever! I may have missed this in another post, but does she have a conductive loss? Will she be getting any devices to help her with her hearing?

What a bright little girl you have!

Tami March 2, 2008 at 6:38 PM  

I'm still so new to all of this I'm not sure what the terminology is. I know the inner ear is working fine. The only reason she has any loss is due to the bilateral microtia (deformed ears). Hopefully sometime this month she iwll be getting a bone conducting hearing aid which should restore her hearing completely. We're hoping to also find out this month at what age she'll be ready for reconstructive surgery.

Tina in CT March 2, 2008 at 8:12 PM  

I was so happy to read your comment in your blog about what Maddie's hearing will be after she has the bone conducting hearing aid and then reconstructive surgery some time in the future. What medicine can do is amazing and she is so fortunate to be here with your family.

This has nothing to do with your blog but I need to put in a plug for the book "The Glass Castle" by Jeanette Walls. I started it late this morning and only put it down to let the dog out, run down for a gourmet flatbread pizza take-out, take a call from a friend and to check the blogs/email. I'm now back to the couch with my dog, book and down throw to continue reading. It's a page turner and book you can't put down.

MamaPoRuski March 3, 2008 at 7:53 PM  

What an amazing girl! So glad you unlocked the key to her success! You continue to be in our hearts and prayers!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP