Powered by Blogger.

daddy's girl

Monday, February 11, 2008

Well, that was fast.
I think it took all of, oh, maybe two days, for Maddie to wrap her daddy completely around her little finger.

And vice versa.
This little girl LOVES her papa!
Can I just say that again?
L-O-V-E-S!!!
She adores him.
Worships the ground he walks on.
Can't wait for him to get home every evening.
And doesn't mind taking a bath, if he helps her.
It's amazing the power that man has.
Last night Shad took the older three to the church dinner before the evening service, with the plan that Maddie and I would meet him there.
From the minute he walked out the door, Maddie started crying.
She cried all through supper, the whole time we were getting dressed and during the drive to church (all of three blocks).
It wasn't until she saw her precious papa and was in his arms, that she was alright.
Sigh.
I guess I AM chopped liver. ;>)
Actually, what I am, is one in a long line of WOMEN to take care of Maddie. She's been around women of all shapes and sizes. Large ones, small ones, tall ones, skinny ones, short ones, fat ones...all of them took care of Maddie. None of them were special...none of them were MALE.
Shad is a man.
He's different.
He's unique. (in a good way ;)
I can see why her bond with him is coming a lot faster than with me.
It's to be expected.
And it's fun to watch.
This child experiences sheer joy when Shad walks into the house. Her face lights up, she starts jumping up and down and she won't leave his side until it's bedtime.
It's precious.
And I wouldn't trade it for anything.
What I would trade is what Maddie sometimes calls me.
Vannah.
What is Vannah?!
Instead of Mama, many times during the day I will hear, 'Vaaaaahnaaaah.'
I try not to respond. Or I'll ask her, 'What's my name?'
Then she'll get it right.
But most of the time, I'm Vannah.
Sigh.
Maybe it's Russian for 'chopped liver.'

18 salty messages:

kitzkazventure February 11, 2008 at 6:11 PM  

Very Funny about Vaaaanaaah! I don't know if Ukraine speaks Russian or a version of it but Va-Nah means bath in Russian. My son still uses it for bath time. Is she relating something to bathtime?? ;) My husband was Mamapapa for the first few months because everything was either mama's and papa's or mama and papa love you, etc but he did not get it and just combined them for his papa. Too funny to hear! Sounds like she is doing great! Karen

Karissa February 11, 2008 at 6:24 PM  

Too funny! I can share the laugh because it is the same in our house!! I call Brent Allah! Although I prefer to think of myself as mac & cheese and Brent as chocolate cake...At least they like both!!!!

Anonymous,  February 11, 2008 at 6:36 PM  

I am an American missionary in Ukraine. It sounds like she is saying "bath." My husband is Russian and I asked him if there was any slang or anything and he said just sounds like the word for "bath" or could be "take a bath." Maybe she has just come up with her own word for you???

Tina in CT February 11, 2008 at 6:37 PM  

Did you hear me laughing at your last line about the translation of chopped liver? You HAVE to write a book as you are so, so talented a writer. I'd buy many copies to give as Christmas gifts. Maybe in your spare time (doubt if there is much of that around though) you could do that this next year or two.

What you wrote about Maddie's attachment to Shad makes so much sense.

Do you have any friends to help with the Vannnnaaaaah translation?

Keep the humorous and great blogs coming as I just love reading them.

stefanie February 11, 2008 at 7:56 PM  

Perhaps she has nick named you "Vanna" as in Vanna White as a result of all that english letter pronouncing and flash card flipping you've been doing with her to learn the English language? I am certain she would be lost without you! Love your humor....I am right there with ya!
Stefanie

Nataliya February 11, 2008 at 9:05 PM  

Oh, how precious! I bet Shad is on cloud nine! I'm so glad Maddie's attaching so nicely!

Yup, Vannah means "bath", or a tub. It would be interesting to hear Maddie saying that. Can you take a little video?

Scarlett_333 February 11, 2008 at 9:15 PM  

Hi! I have been following your blog for awhile, but I don't think I have ever commented! Just thought I would say that Maddie is adorable and seems to be settling in so well with your family! I am always looking forward to reading more about her :)

Nikki

Anonymous,  February 11, 2008 at 11:10 PM  

Maybe with her hearing loss she she gets the Vs M's and N's a bit confused? Or maybe she thinks you worked on Wheel of Fortune in your former life. It's kinda cute...maybe?

DoveFamily February 12, 2008 at 6:46 AM  

Glad she is doing so well with Shad! You guys are spending a lot of time together so the attachment will definitely come. Glad everyone is doing well. Are the other kiddos getting along with her okay and adjusting to a new little one at home?

lindy,  February 12, 2008 at 8:39 AM  

It really makes sense that Maddie is so taken with Shad, since she never had men around at the orphanage. My little sister wasn't adopted, but she loved to be held by men when she was small! She always wanted to go to the male friends of our folks, and was happy with their attention. Maybe it's just something to do with the fact that we all like attention from the opposite sex, ha, ha!
;-) Anyway, sounds like things are moving ahead. I sure would like to know why Maddie calls you "Vannah." Does she like taking a bath? Maybe she just wants to take one? It doesn't seem like she'd want to take one all the time, though.....maybe she'll remember why she did it when she gets older, and then you'll find out. I'm with Tina in Ct - you MUST write a book!! -- Melinda H.

adoptedthree February 12, 2008 at 9:57 AM  

Lucky You!

Oksana couldn't stand my husband or men! She was terrified of him and it took a lot of time for her to open up. (I think it was because he looked like the UA docs that did her lip surgery)

So, it is great she lets adores him!

dr david February 12, 2008 at 10:09 AM  

Tami,
We are sooo very happy for you and your family!!! I would love to respond privately to you about something if you are willing. The e-mail address I have for you came back.
Thank you for all the help you have given us with our adoption.
Cindie Wolff

Ashley February 12, 2008 at 11:01 AM  

Our little Gabriel (who is 3) is very much a daddy's boy! I know exactly what you are talking about. I am home with our children all day, but when Daddy's walks in, Gabriel forgets about me and stays with JC. At church, he doesn't even see me. When we pick him up from his class, he screams, "DAAAAAADY!" And runs into his arms. It's like I am nowhere around. He will even run right pass me and go to JC. I do love watching it and it is so cute how close they are. I think Grisha will be attached to his Dad, also because there are no men in the internot.

This is such a cute post and I love how you made it even more special with a picture of Maddie and Shad together.

You are so NOT chopped liver!

Troy and Rachel February 12, 2008 at 11:51 AM  

Hmmm...chopped liver you say! I got the biggest laugh out of that. I read your post to my husband who grinned the whole time. I guess I'll be chopped liver soon enough...

Drew Michelle and Luke Paras February 12, 2008 at 12:16 PM  

This is the experience I so hope for my dh. My son is a mama's boy through and through. He needs a daddy's girl!!

Maybe Vaanaah is a term of endearment...in fact, I am sure it is!!

MamaPoRuski February 12, 2008 at 12:59 PM  

O the power of a Papa! Don't forget to use it to your full advantage while you have it! Love your posts!

adopting2fromUkraine February 15, 2008 at 11:34 AM  

This is a very normal thing for Maddie to 'seem' to prefer her daddy. It happens to boys and girls. My bio children, as babies, seemed to think in black and white and figured out very quickly that Mama is for business (feeding, changing, meeting needs) and Daddy is for 'fun'. Not that Mama can't be fun;) It used to hurt my feelings until I realized that. It's just the way it is.

Maybe she doesn't want to call you Mama, because that's what her orphanage caregivers were called and you are different, so she gave you a unique name:)

Trip and Rhissa March 20, 2008 at 9:07 PM  

Hello,
I found this link to your blog through Michelle and Drew's (and Luke) Michelle is involved with the adoption group that I am part of with my son,who was just adopted from Vietnam last year at the age of four.
Reading your latest entries just sound so much like our first few months home. The running to strangers, giving hugs to people he'd never met, seeming like a totally happy child. We also had and still have the purposeful mispronounciations of not my name, but our oldest daughters name. (We have been home 14 months!) He couldn't get enough of my husband and cried miserably when he left the hotel room in Vietnam and also for work once we returned. He constantly does what he can to get his attention or approval.
Since you have adopted before I'm sure you are way for familiar with these "institutionalized behaviors" than I am. We, too, realized our son needed to be kept captive at home until he bonded with us properly. I would love to communicate with you through email if you would like. The support needed after adopting an older child is something I underestimated upon our return.
I have enjoyed your entries and would be happy to share our blogs with you as well.
Oh, and by the way...Aye!
Rhissa P.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP