Powered by Blogger.

you've got to be kidding me

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I am totally peeved.
I mean completelyinfuriated.
I'm steamed...
angry...
enraged...
fuming, furious, incensed, indignant, mad, raging, bent, beside myself, boiling, crazed, hacked, hopping mad, livid, mad, rabid, raging, smoking, steamed, vehement, burned up, exasperated, irate, miffed, tee'd off, exasperated, irritated, po'd, provoked, riled...
Give me some more words here people!
I need help!
Aaaaaaaagh!
Okay, let me tell you what has me so torqued.
(Wow, I came up with another word!)
The school district has decided to stop offering bus service to kids who live on dirt roads until the roads dry out.
Can you believe it?!
There are exactly FOUR roads in this school district that are paved...and only maybe five percent of the kids who ride the bus actually live on a paved road. Okay, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but I doubt I'm THAT far off.
So why am I all peeved when we live in town?
My babysitter lives in the country.
On a dirt road.
If I want my kids to ride the bus to the babysitters after school I would have to accept that they would be dropping my nine, seven and six year old children off on a HIGHWAY to find their own way to the babysitters house!
How asinine is that?!
UGH!
If safety is their main concern how can they justify dropping a kid off on a HIGHWAY?! Imagine, if you will, six year old Nick climbing off the school bus at the intersection of Old Hwy 9 and Cemetery Road and hoofing it a half a mile in mud so deep the school bus won't go through, until he gets to his babysitters house.
Yea. I can't imagine it either...BECAUSE IT WOULDN'T HAPPEN!
First of all he wouldn't go to the babysitters...he would probably go check out the old cemetery for awhile, then walk through the pasture to check out the cows and end up taking a short cut through the woods...arriving at the babysitters house about the same time I do - two hours later.
Ooooor, he'd go ahead and walk to the babysitters house, all the while stepping in every mud puddle along the way, taking off his shoes and socks as they get soaked, and eventually getting stuck in the quagmire I almost got the van stuck in last night.
That's if he doesn't try to cross the busy highway and go play at a friends' house!
And it's not like we have any other transportation options.
Shad works in a town 25 miles in one direction and I work in a town 20 miles in the other direction.
So if I don't want my children to be dropped off to play on the highway, I'm going to have to change my work schedule to come pick the kids up from school every day.
Remember that plan to spend more time with Maddie during the next month? We would have mornings together, just the two of us.
Yea. Just chuck that one right out the window...
right along with the bus schedule.

8 salty messages:

Tina in CT February 28, 2008 at 9:29 PM  

I can't believe that I'm reading this about Mid America! Is your school transportation head back in the dark ages when kids walked miles to school? I would be feeling the same way that you do too and furious. Does the school transportation system think that it's safe to drop off small kids on a highway to be prey to all the horrible things that could happen? Hopefully more parents facing the same situation will also be up in arms and you can unite to get things changed back to how it was.

Is it possible for your babysitter to meet the bus at the highway or is she busy with other children at her house?

I was also concerned about the mentioning of the route numbers in the blog as you never know who might be reading your blog. I know, I am paranoid.

You had such an ideal work situation arranged and it's such a shame that you will have to change it.

I was surprised to read in your blog that there are so many dirt roads in your district.

Tami February 28, 2008 at 9:32 PM  

Thanks for pointing out the route numbers. I made up the names of the roads to protect the location and to give the story some character. ;) But the rest of the story is correct.

mrsbroccoliguy February 29, 2008 at 12:43 AM  

That's just nuts!! Sometimes I swear the people making school decisions do not have their heads screwed on straight. It's already been suggested... but can your babysitter meet them at the bus?

adoptedthree February 29, 2008 at 6:08 AM  

I am the QUEEN of bussing issues! You MUST stand your ground and demand they provide safe transportation for your children.

The transportation department knows me very well. Our babysitter was on a dead end street (not culdesac). It is written in V's IEP that he be dropped off and picked up at the house. They balked because it meant the bus had to back down the street. They wanted to drop him off at the end of the street (busy area). Nope not gonna happen. I was not budging. They said it wasnt possible I said then you better drive him in a car. Well they ended up backing down the street. Rules must be followed and safety is a MUST! Talk to the district and let them know your sitter cannot meet the kids at the end of the street.

Guess what else they once did...put my son on the wrong bus the first day of school and NOONE even knew, until the bus was empty! talk about scary, he could have gotten off anywhere and noone would have known!

Mike & Tara February 29, 2008 at 11:08 AM  

I hope things work out and the buses start running all routes again. Our dirt road is a mess as is the parking lot behind the elementary school (I actually lost a shoe in the mud when I dropped off Nicholas!).

I loved your description of you son wandering around exploring instead of going to the sitter's. Reminded me of those old Family Circus comics where the kids wander all around instead of going in a straight line! :o)

Lindy February 29, 2008 at 1:03 PM  

You must have borrowed my thesaurus to come up with all those synonyms!! Here's one you forgot (variation on one you do have) - outraged!!
:-) Yeah, that's just really a bummer they had to do that to you, messing up your carefully planned schedule. What meanies.

Tina in CT February 29, 2008 at 4:04 PM  

Good advice from adopted three. Stick to your guns, Tami. The school district transportation person will find out that it's not smart to enrage a mother hen.

Dave February 29, 2008 at 9:23 PM  

Come on, Tami, tell us how you REALLY feel. Actually, I'd be ticked too (there's another one for you.)
Gina.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP