Powered by Blogger.

knock on wood

Monday, March 10, 2008

We had good weekend.
Unfortunately, Shad didn't get see much of it.
One of the hazards of his job is that he's on call a lot.
And when he's on call it usually means all of our family stuff goes right out the window.
Unfortunately this weekend was one of those times.
Thankfully we're not living in Iowa anymore. Nothing against Iowa but when he worked there we couldn't leave our little town to do so much as go out to dinner in the big city because he had to be within a certain radius of the clinic.
It's not so bad here. It's only 20 minutes to the 'big city.' So sometimes we can sneak away.
Take Sunday for instance.
To start off
I managed to take all four kids to church by myself.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you very much.

Yes, I am impressed as well.
It was my first time by myself (taking four kids to church is much easier to do tag-team) And I have to admit, it wasn't so bad, although I didn't get much out of the sermon because I was too busy keeping Maddie quiet. She hasn't quite mastered the art of being quiet during church. Actually, she hasn't mastered the art of being quiet at all, so anytime she wanted anything she asked at full volume.
For those of you who may be saying, 'But she can't hear, of course she's going to talk loudly,' let me just say she whispers all the time. Especially when it has anything to do with going to the bathroom. Half the time you can't hear her request for a potty break.
She KNOWS how to whisper. She just hasn't figured out she needs to use her quiet voice to ask for things in church instead of yelling for a crayon to color her picture of Jesus riding the donkey on Palm Sunday.'
Where was I?
Oh yeah...church.
So I survived.
All two and a half hours of it - Sunday School and the church service.
Maddie even tried singing this week. It was so cute. I wish Shad could have seen it, but alas, he was south of town pulling a calf.
Anyway...
The second big thing we did this weekend was go to the circus. (And Shad made it to this one! ;)
Maddie LOVED it, which is surprising considering she doesn't love ANY animal.
At least not up close.
But it seems from far away they're pretty cool.
She oohed over the dancing bears, aaahed over the lions in the cage and was mesmerized by the trapeze artists.
She ate tons of cotton candy and popcorn and drank her weight in water. (We went potty three times! ;)
Surprisingly she didn't seem to become overstimulated At least not in the same way my other kids did when they first came home. She cried a bit when we left the arena, but there were no meltdowns, no tempertantrums. In fact I don't think anyone around us realized she was upset.
And she certainly didn't become hyper. (even with all that sugar)
I may be tempting something here...
I don't want to get too far ahead of myself...
But I have to tell you...
So far her adjustment has been a breeze.
Alright!
That did it!
Quick! Somebody find me some wood! :)

6 salty messages:

Auntie G March 10, 2008 at 8:12 PM  

Tami,
Sounds like you had a great weekend. Don't knock on wood. Maddie is going to be a fine kiddo.
Gail

Tina in CT March 10, 2008 at 9:23 PM  

A fun family time at the circus. Maddie must have been amazed to see the wild animal acts and high wire acts.

I imagine you have household pets seeing that your husband is a vet. Does she steer clear of them?

Tami March 11, 2008 at 6:37 AM  

She not only steers clear of them, she screams if they come near her. Our poor dog has been confined to the back porch for the past month and a half and the cats (who are outside anyway) haven't come inside in weeks. At some point, when she's able to understand more English, we're going to have to just start letting them back in to normal life...and she's going to have to adjust. We can't let her grow up being scared of them. But for right now, we're just taking a step at a time, hoping she'll get used to them.

Lindy March 11, 2008 at 8:37 AM  

It's so great that after all that angst you had to go through to bring Maddie home, you are now blessed with a smooth adjustment! What a super weekend you had. I'm real proud of you for taking four kids to church by yourself - you definitely deserve a pat on the back - actually, more than one! :-)

Old DAN AND Little ANN March 14, 2008 at 1:32 AM  

I totally get this post. It seems like I spend more time in nursery with Dima than in the service and since he and I go later than the rest of the family anyway so that he can get his morning nap, I sometimes wonders why we go at all!

Post a Comment

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP