Powered by Blogger.

10 years ago

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Ten years ago, I was driving to work, minding my own business, listening to the radio.
It was the first week of May...
And I was having a pity party.
The dreaded holiday was approaching...and I was nowhere closer to being a mom than I was ten years before when Shad and I were married.
When it comes to pity parties, I'm gifted.
No, really.
Gifted.
I can throw a party like no other...and I was in full swing.
I had moped around all week, crying over all of the Mother's Day ads, complaining (mostly to myself) about the injustice of it all and just generally being a really grump to be around.
And on this day, I was particularly depressed.
Where was God in all of this?
He seemed farther away than ever.
Eventually I reached the point in my one-hour commute where auto-pilot took over...you know - when you've driven this route so many times you could do it in your sleep.
And that's when I had the dream.
A very, VERY real daydream...
I was sitting in a chair in one of the bedrooms when a little boy with dark hair, overalls and a t-shirt walked up to me and climbed into my lap. His hair was soft, he smelled like baby powder and he called me 'Mama'.
It was a very vivid...the kind of dream where you wake up and absolutely convinced it was true.
My heart was racing...
I could still smell the baby powder...
I could still feel his touch...
It was if God was reaching down and comforting me in my misery.
I took a lot of consolation from it.
I wrote the dream down in my journal...
savored it...
and endured the first Mother's Day church service I had attended in YEARS.
After awhile the dream faded.
And life went on.
Later that summer, Meshack and I took a vacation to northern Minnesota. While we were there we had a lot of time to talk about where we were headed, what we wanted from life and what kinds of goals we wanted to set.
It was during these conversations we realized it wasn't biology we were after. We just wanted to have a child.
We wanted to build a family.
We didn't have any spectacular genes that we needed to pass on. We had a faith and a home we wanted to share. So as we drove home we decided to start looking into adoption.
We got home to a call on our answering machine from our best friends. A woman from an adoption agency had spoke at their church. They talked to her about us, had picked up a packet and given us a call.
I called the agency on Monday.
A few weeks later we sent in our application.
We quickly set our hearts on Russia and started working on our I-600A and homestudy...
A few months later we had a referral of a little boy with brown hair, beautiful blue eyes and the most serious look about him. (picture at top)
We fell in love immediately.
We had found our little boy.
We would soon be a family.
A year after we adopted Alek we were getting ready to move to another state. I was going through the books in our room and came upon my journal. I thumbed through the pages and stumbled on my entry about the dream and the little boy. It was May X, 1998. The day Alek was born.
And the day we called the agency?
That was the day Alek was put on the Russian 'available for adoption list.'
I still get goosebumps nine years later.
That brown haired, blue-eyed baby is quickly becoming a young man.
He turned 10 Wednesday!
Where did the time go?
Has it truly been nine years already?
I swear it was just yesterday Shad and I met this scrawny little boy named Bogdan who couldn't walk at 14 months old and ate absolutely everything in sight.
He used to pull his arms in close to him, like a turtle, when he was overwhelmed.
He rocked himself to sleep every night and refused to look in our eyes.
He pulled away from hugs and couldn't tell when he was in pain.
Now our little guy is not so little anymore.
He's tall and muscular.
He's friendly and funny.
He doesn't get overwhelmed very often.
He falls asleep quickly and quietly now, gives us big hugs freely and climbs in our laps any chance he can get. (Of course, now he's getting too big to do that! - or maybe it's us that are getting too big! ;)
He's adventurous...he lives for flying in our friend's small plane, loves football, basketball, baseball and any other sport where a ball is required. He loves to swim, ride his bike, play tag and skateboard.
He's a math whiz...acing all of his multiplication tests on the first try.
He's kind, compassionate, loyal and brave.
He's handsome, charming, quiet and humble.
We waited 10 excruciatingly long years for this guy to join us so we could become a family.
He was so worth the wait!
Happy Birthday Alek!
---------------------
Top: The referral video of Alek. Wasn't he a cutie?! :) Middle: Shad and Alek on the first day as a family. We had just taken custody of him and were on the drive home from the orphanage when we saw this sunflower field. Being from the sunflower state, we asked the driver to pull over, and I snapped this shot. It is still one of my favorites. Bottom: Alek last year. I need to get a more updated photo, but I'll have to wait until my sister-in-law comes to visit. (hint, hint! ;)

15 salty messages:

Rachael May 9, 2008 at 10:53 PM  

What a great story. AMAZING, really.

Happy Birthday, Alek!

kate May 10, 2008 at 1:33 AM  

I don't think that was a daydream, Tami. I think it was a vision.

I love to hear stories like this. I do wonder what d2b has been up to the last 2 years that I've been waiting for her...Can't wait to find out and share!

Tina in CT May 10, 2008 at 9:27 PM  

Thank you for sharing.

MamaPoRuski May 10, 2008 at 10:30 PM  

Wow, and who says God doesn't have a sense of humor! Thanks for sharing and encouraging us!

SG May 11, 2008 at 6:52 PM  

I got chills reading that! WOW o WOW o WOW O WOW! That is just so cool and so like God!

Elaine May 11, 2008 at 9:06 PM  

Thank you for sharing this story. I love to hear about other people's dreams, or visions, or whatever you want to call them. They reaffirm my faith that God is communicating with us.

MoscowMom May 12, 2008 at 12:00 PM  

Thanks for sharing your incredible dream!!!! I loved reading it and I got goosebumps!

Happy belated birthday to Alek!

And much love to you... I can only imagine how hard all those years of Mother's Day Sunday services were...

Nataliya May 12, 2008 at 1:38 PM  

Absolutely amazing story! What a great son you have! Happy Birthday, Alec!

The Hinshaws May 12, 2008 at 10:46 PM  

That's incredible. What a gift that God would give you that vision around Mothers Day... He was telling you "Celebrate! Because whether you realize it yet or not, you became a mom today!"
I love it!!! How blessed we are to have such an amazing God! Happy Birthday to Alec and Happy Mothers Day to you.

Irina May 13, 2008 at 7:34 AM  

Tami, you are a surprising teller! you find words which are able to get in a heart and cause the tears of gladness. I am glad for your son, for you and for all your the family :). Accept my sincere congratulations!

Lindy May 13, 2008 at 8:17 AM  

I loved the story - Although I've heard it before, it's the first time I've seen it in print. :-) Yes, it's a truly amazing story.

By the way, when are you going to bring Alek out to the airfield for another plane ride???

Ashley May 15, 2008 at 12:05 PM  

WOW! I am crying! Thank you for sharing your pain and joy with us! I also had goosebumps during the whole post. God is amazing and to have that vision the exact day Alek was born....just amazing!

Happy belated birthday to Alek! Hope you had a wonderful day! :)

lswafford,  May 19, 2008 at 10:32 AM  

OK, now I'm crying! Alek has been such a joy. I still remember waiting for the 3 of you to step off of the plane and crying when you came around the corner with Alek in your arms. What an amazing 9 years it has been. God is SOOOOO good!

Love ya

Annie May 22, 2008 at 7:29 AM  

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Also, I love your updated blog. I had visited previously but couldn't quite figure it all out. I hadn't realized your other children were adopted, too. P.S. I love the name Anya.

Annie May 8, 2009 at 8:37 PM  

Tami! I can't believe this!!!!! IT is just what happened to me!!!! God reaches right down to us.

http://onemothersday.blogspot.com/2007/11/how-god-answers-prayers.html

Post a Comment

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP