Powered by Blogger.

vacation '08 Day 1 and 2

Saturday, May 24, 2008

We are having SO. MUCH. FUN!
Whew.It's been a whirlwind.
It started out Thursday afternoon when we packed the van and took off for Minnesota.
Three minutes later we were back in our driveway.
I had forgotten the emergency credit card.
A couple of minutes later we pulled out again.
This time we made it a few blocks further before we realized we had forgotten the reservation printouts.
The third time was the charm. We haven't looked back since.
We stopped the first night in Iowa...and last night we camped at Split Rock Lighthouse along the shores of Lake Superior.
IT. WAS. COLD!
Ach!
The were frost warnings.
I'm surprised I wasn't frosted this morning.
The kids slept amazingly well...it may have to do with the fact that we've run them ragged over the last few days.
But Shad and I hardly slept at all.
We camped in the most beautiful spot imaginable. I love waking up and seeing the lake the first thing in the morning.
And there's nothing better than hearing the water lap during an early morning walk.
Aaaaaah.
And the kids have had a ball exploring.
Alek gave me a few scares.
I'm having to learn to let go of some of my 'mommy-fears.'
You know.
The fears that make you want to keep your kid in a cocoon for the rest of their live, instead of letting them experience life.
That's a WHOLE other blog post.
I'll write myself a note to get right to work on that one...right after I write something about my too serious nature.
But I digress.
This afternoon we packed everything up and headed back inland where we toured a really cool (literally) mine.
It's a former iron ore mine...
And it's underground.
We traveled a half-mile down and a half mile in to this cool mine.
The kids LOVED it.
Well...all except Maddie. She didn't care too much for the elevator ride.
But she like everything else.

Tonight we're staying in a nice motel with a pool. (The kids were stoked! ;)
And I finally have internet access.
(Can I just tell you how much I love having a laptop?! It was the best purchase for our trip to Ukraine. It's the gift that keeps on giving! I was like a kid at Christmas when I finally figured out how to set it up tonight in our hotel room! :)
Tomorrow we head back to Duluth for a hotel waterpark experience.
Talk about stoked!!! ;>)
This is the part of the vacation the kids have been talking about for the last six months.
But first we're heading to the Hockey Hall of Fame.
Ahem.
None of us are extreme hockey fans (although my Penguins are in the Stanley Cup Championships), but it's right here...and we like to take advantage of our opportunities.
We might be a little more excited if it were the football or baseball hall....but it should be fun.
Besides...
They have a huge hockey stick outside.
Who doesn't want to get a picture of a big hockey stick?! ;)
Does anybody else find this whole vacation like something out of the movie 'Vacation'?
Traveling all over the country, seeing old abandoned mines and large hockey sticks.
Maybe it's just me.
Speaking of pictures...
There's good news and there's bad news.
The good news is I'm getting TONS of great pictures.
The bad news is...I can't post them yet because I brought the wrong adapter!
UGH!
Sorry.
In the meantime, I'll post some pictures I've pulled off of travel websites to satisfy your curiosity.

I'd better run.
Everyone is falling asleep around me.
I'll keep brainstorming ways to get some pictures posted.
In the meantime, have a great Memorial Day weekend!

5 salty messages:

Rachael May 25, 2008 at 6:57 AM  

Tami -- Doesn't your laptop have a slot to put you camera's memory card in without having to use a cord or adaptor? Most of the newer ones do. Also, I think your new splurge needs to the the Eye-Fi (wireless memory card). I LOVE mine: all my pictures automatically go on my laptop whenever my camera is turned on in the vacinity of my computer. I can't tell you how truly cool it is!

Also, YES, this does sound like a Vacation movie! Are you guys singing in the car too. :)

MoscowMom May 25, 2008 at 3:52 PM  

Have fun! You made me chuckle at the image of your vacation being a "Vacation" vacation, big hockey sticks and you, ya' know :-)

Yes, take advantage of what's around you... That being said, I still have yet to visit Lenin in the mausoleum. Something about a pickled Communist--who has been pickled for a LONG TIME-- just doesn't make me want to go stand in line to get inside...

Mike & Tara May 25, 2008 at 7:52 PM  

What a great time!! Enjoy the Hockey Hall of Fame - we visited a few years ago (but I LOVE hockey)...seeing the Stanley cup and the vault is awesome!

Debbie May 25, 2008 at 8:07 PM  

Sounds like you're having a great time! :-)

Delahne May 25, 2008 at 9:33 PM  

My husband and I camped out by Split Rock several years ago and dealt with black flies! I'd rather be cold than deal with those. Glad you're having a great time.

Post a Comment

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP