Powered by Blogger.

changes

Monday, July 21, 2008

I started this post weeks ago while sitting in my van in 85 degree heat waiting for Nick's ballgame to start.
All around me were the sounds of summer - laughter, cheering and the pings of baseballs hitting aluminum.
As I sat there sweating, I started thinking - 'this is it. This is the last baseball game I will watch at this field.'
We're moving.
Next summer there will be new teams, new colors, new fields...
New sounds, new coaches and hopefully cooler temps.
Our time here has been good.
The kids have blossomed in this school.
They accepted Christ in this body of believers.
They've learned to ride bikes on these streets.
But its time to move on.
The truth is, eight weeks ago this move wasn't even on our radar. We were (and still are) happy here.
Its safe.
Its comfortable.
Its home.
But six weeks ago our world turned upside down. When Shad's mom became deathly ill, we realized just how much our kids would have missed. They already have spent their entire lives living away from their grandparents. they know their cousins, but they aren't close. They love their grandparents, but rarely get to see them. And then there are the literal scores of relatives they have never met.
But that's not the only reason for this change.
The biggest reason is Bill and Pam.
They need us.
Their lives have been turned upside down too...and they need our help now like they have have before.
I can't honestly say we're looking forward to this move. Its one we've been putting off for the last 17 years.
We don't want to go.
We've carved a life out here for ourselves.
We're comfortable.
We're happy.
But sometimes you have to do things you really don't want to do.
And this is one of those times.
Next month we will be moving from our little house in northeast Kansas to the wild west.
We will be closing this chapter in our lives and starting a brand new one.
Shad has accepted a job at a veterinary clinic only a couple of hours away from both of our families. It's a great opportunity for him.
And a good opportunity for me to trust. I've learned some really hard, but important lessons in the last few weeks. Lessons I need to share with you...just give me some time to wrap my thoughts around all of these changes.
In the meantime I have a HUGE prayer request.
Pray that we find a place to live!
We're moving in four weeks and we don't have a house to move to!!!
And I thought adopting four kids from eastern europe was an adventure!
I have a feeling I'm going to be in for one wild ride.

23 salty messages:

Tina in CT July 21, 2008 at 6:19 PM  

I was hoping you'd won Lotto but figured that was a wild shot. My second idea was that you were moving but I did not have any idea where. So much of what you wrote makes a lot of sense. I don't know if you are from the same state as Shad but know your parents are not in Kansas either. Oh my, no house yet. I hope you find something soon with a good realtor. You did not mention your job. Will you be able to work remotely or will you also be looking for work with another newspaper in the wild west? Hope the sale of your house goes smoothly. The best of luck to you, Shad and the kids.

One thing you can say about this move is that it sure happened a lot faster than any of the adoptions!

Kevin and Tammy July 21, 2008 at 6:39 PM  

This will be a big change. But you will make it. God has a plan and he will reveal it to you. What a blessing to get to be closer to your families. Family is so important. I am proud of your family in making this decision. You are being truly sacrificial with your love.
God Bless
Tammy

Tami July 21, 2008 at 7:45 PM  

I've changed the color of the background...is it helping? I think the problem is the blogger skin may be a little difficult for some computers to load. I really like it though so let me know if it's easier to read for those of you who are having a hard time.

jessy July 21, 2008 at 7:49 PM  

My guess was that you were making a career change or deciding to stay home. Goodness.
Will you stay home or job hunt? I wish your in-laws lived in Texas. But it will be good. It will be good for your kids to have close family ties.
Praying for the house situation. I'm in the same fix, too. A new pastorate is staring at me down the barrel, and I haven't a clue as to how we are going to swing a move right now.

Rachael July 21, 2008 at 9:37 PM  

Oh, big news for sure. Best of luck to you with everything.

Tina in CT July 21, 2008 at 9:40 PM  

It takes much longer to open and most of the pictures do not show.

The Cunninghams July 21, 2008 at 11:04 PM  

Moving is always hard! It will be especially so with four kiddos. But living close to family is hard to beat. Just think of all those crazy holidays with kids running around and laughing. I am sure this will be a positive change for you. My thoughts are defiantly with you and your home hunt.

Is Eight Enough? July 22, 2008 at 2:20 AM  

Does this mean you have sold your house? Or were you only renting? This is very exciting!!! *I* am pleased because I am near the West! LOL!! Where in the west are you moving too? Moves can be scary, but if God is moving you then it will be so very exciting also!!

Can't wait to hear more!

Blessings,Justine
Booked my flights!!!

DoveFamily July 22, 2008 at 5:38 AM  

What exciting, scary news! I will definitely be praying for all the details to fall into place.

Like Tina, I'm curious about you - will you be looking for new employment, staying at home, tele-working?

Staci and Damon July 22, 2008 at 6:36 AM  

Tami -
We're praying for a safe, uneventful move for your family. Change in life is very easy, and to us it always feels like it comes at a bad time. Remember that the Lord is faithful and He has already gone before you to your new location. We'll be praying for your family!
Staci

Hannah,  July 22, 2008 at 7:55 AM  

my parents moved here to st. joe in order to be closer to my dad's parents as my grandma's alzheimer's progresses. they left chicago after 16 years of ministry there -- it's still home for all of us.

watching them make that hard decision to leave everything they know and love taught me lots of things I had been "told" all of my life -- God really meant it when He told us to honor our parents, even when it means sacrificing everything -- Following God does not mean doing what makes us happy, it's doing what makes our relationship with Him stronger.

In the midst of the turmoil and change, your kids are learning more about following Christ from you than they will ever learn in a church building.

You guys are in my prayers.

Debbie July 22, 2008 at 9:41 AM  

I thought that might be it! I hope the Lord will surround you with His peace and will lead you to the right place to live. Please let me know where you'll be; I want to meet you in person! :-)

And I love your new blog look!

Mark and Courtney July 22, 2008 at 10:10 AM  

I'm hoping you're winding up close to the big D in C, because then we can visit you this Christmas!! Woohoo! :)

Shelley July 22, 2008 at 12:15 PM  

As someone who moves a lot(and just moved again a couple of weeks ago), I understand all the anxiety that goes along with a move. It's stepping out of your comfort zone, which is always hard. My best advice is to sit down now, before things get crazy, and make a list of all the important stuff that must be done a long with the move(changing your insurance, bank, new doctors, etc). That way, when you're in the midst of the unpacking insanity, you don't have to remember what is you were supposed to do as soon as you moved. A moving binder also helps...copies of important papers, a copy of that list, etc.
My best advice for finding a place to live is to find a great school first. For us, we look for the best schools and then find a house that will allow the kids to go to school there.
Wishing you lots of luck! Personally, I can't imagine being in one place so long!

Troy and Rachel July 22, 2008 at 1:40 PM  

You're on my prayer list. Things do change but I know you all will continue to be happy.

Kathy and Matt July 22, 2008 at 4:05 PM  

WOW! No kidding about big changes!

I commend you and Shad for making this decision. It will be great for the kids to be closer to the extended family and his parents will be so appreciative.

You've been added to my prayer list. I know God already has the details worked out, but I also know that it can be hard to trust when we don't know the same.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding: in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5,6

MamaPoRuski July 22, 2008 at 9:18 PM  

We have also debated moving and wonder how it will affect the kids so close to the adoptions, but know that if it is God's plan then He has to figure it out not me!
Then again if you move to Colorado then there is a greater chance we might run into eachother this side of eternity...God Bless!

rachel July 22, 2008 at 11:05 PM  

i hope you get a wonderful lead on a house soon... at least it's a 'buyer's market':-)

it sounds difficult, but it will bring your family closer, in many ways.

warmest thoughts,
rachel

SG July 23, 2008 at 11:24 AM  

WOW! Change is almost an understatement! Can't wait to hear of all your new adventures!

Elaine July 25, 2008 at 8:19 AM  

I know how hard it is to leave a life you've created and love, and I so admire you selflessness in chosing to leave it to be there for others. There really is nothing more important than family. I hope you find a house soon!

MoscowMom July 25, 2008 at 10:46 AM  

We'll have to meet once you move and we're visiting family in the "Wild West," too!!!

Oh, thanks so much for letting me know to pop by!

GOOD LUCK!!!! You have done so much in the past two years... This will go smoothly, I'm sure of it. Just am.

xoxoxoox

kate July 26, 2008 at 8:21 AM  

But that means you're moving to C/S, right? Rejoice! It's Camelot. ;> I loved growing up there. I still miss it.

Christina July 29, 2008 at 8:40 PM  

Oh my goodness! I was away last week and missed this... this is huge news!
I sure know what a stressful thing you are doing - finding a home in such a sort time and making a big move for the good of the family - not easy. But you have good reasons for your move and I know you'll be glad you did it, in the long run. (and feel free to quote this back to me too! LOL)

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP