Powered by Blogger.

learning the lingo

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Something has happened in the last seven days.
Maddie's vocabulary has exploded.
Either that or we are starting to understand her better.
Either way it means the lines of communications are open.
Wide open.
She's still limited to three and four word sentences, but I'll take it!
Some of her favorite phrases include...
'Where Daddy go?'
'I okay Mommy.'
'Alek play ball.'
'I want drink.'
'More nana (banana) peeeeese.'
'Mama, I go potty.'
And her all-time favorite...'Mama, Nick hit me.'
The Russian is almost gone now. Even the simple phrases we used quite frequently when we first came home seem to have no meaning for her anymore.
Gone are 'machinas', 'sabaka' and koshka.
They've been replaced by 'car', dog' and colorni (kitty).
I decided to test her the other night and put in a video from Alek's adoption. It was one of those referral videos from the late nineties where the ladies were chatting in the background and trying to get Alek to do all kinds of things no three month old baby should be able to do.
Anyway....
Maddie was fascinated.
You could tell it was familiar to her and that she was trying to understand what they were saying. But unlike in the past when she would quickly run to the TV, jam her ear up to the speaker and start chatting incessently in Russian...she was silent.
So sad.
But the most heartbreaking of all...her precious little Russian accent is gone.
Oh, how I miss that accent!
It's slowly being replaced by a weird midwestern-southern drawl hybrid.
Good thing I got some videos of her talking with the accent before it disappeared.
-----------------------
Can anyone tell me what the above picture says? I'm almost afraid to ask, but I'm hopeful it's something cute since it's got the pink background with little girl phrases.

6 salty messages:

Tina in CT July 14, 2008 at 8:06 PM  

I don't know what the word on the diagonal means but I think I've used that background scrapbook paper. I'll have to hunt through my books to look for it.

How sad that her cute accent is gone but in reality you want it to go so she'll fit in just like the other kids when she goes to school. That is fantastic that she is saying all those simple sentences. The little girl has had lots of new adjustments the past few months and is learning to hear with her hearing aid. She has done remarkedly well in such a short time. You must love hearing her talk. Love the one about her brother.

Missy July 14, 2008 at 8:43 PM  

I pulled out my English/Russian dictionary I got for Christmas. :) It means girl or young lady. I guess that makes sense, huh?

Rachael July 14, 2008 at 11:34 PM  

It means "Girl". You're safe!

Katya lost her accent too (mostly.) And while it's good for her, I'm still kind of sad to see it go.

You should put up a video of Maddie talking. We want to hear the Southern drawl!

Kathy & Matt July 15, 2008 at 12:49 PM  

Like you, I've had mixed feelings about Leeza's continued acquisition of the English language. Of course, it's a blessing to be able to communicate easily, but it is sad to me that she's lost so much of her Russian.

There is a Ukrainian school in the Twin Cities, so I may look into that next year as a way to help her hang on to some of her heritage.

Debbie July 16, 2008 at 9:25 AM  

Hi, Tami! The picture says "girl," though the spelling I know is "девочка" (pronounced DYEVachka).

It's great that Maddie is learning so much. Way to go, Maddie! I understand about missing the accent. Elaine is saying more English words with her Russian accent, and I would miss it were it to disappear.

Old DAN AND Little ANN July 17, 2008 at 3:22 AM  

That switch seems to of happened incredibly fast. I don't want Dima to lose all of his Russian charm either. He didn't have much of an accent since he wasn't talking when we got him but he has stopped responding to Russian when our Russian friends and Russian speaking piano teacher talk to him. He sorta just looks at them with a big ol' question mark on his face.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP