Powered by Blogger.

dollars to donuts

Saturday, August 2, 2008

I've crawled out from under the stack of broken down boxes long enough to let you all know I'm still here.
But not for long.
Two more weeks. That's it.
And in that time I have to finish my job, fly to Wyoming to find a new house, come back, pack, get a U-Hau!, load it and leave.
Sigh.
I'm not going to think about it. Instead I'm going to sit here nibbling on my powdered donuts and tell you about my week.
I bought a box of powdered donuts last night.
A big box.
No. Really big.
I've eaten about half of it...
By myself.
The kids have been allowed to have a couple.
Shad better not touch it.
It's all mine.
And don't get started on me!
At least it's not chocolate!
First and foremost I need to give a shout-out to my little guy who turned seven yesterday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY NICK!!!
I wanted to publish a brilliant post about my amazing little guy, but quite frankly I'm too stressed, tired and overwrought to work up anything coherent.
It was all I could do to remember to buy him presents.
Yea. I'm a great mom.
I think he had a good day yesterday, despite having to spend the whole day with the babysitter and then going to VBS last night.
We didn't do much celebrating until cake and ice cream at 10 p.m.
To make up for my mommie-guilt, today we're heading to Kansas City to either T-Rex, Rainforest Cafe or Chuck E. Cheese.
I'm quietly rooting for T-Rex or the Rainforest.
There aren't any cute kid restaurants in southern Wyoming. Unfortunately, there's a Chuck E. Cheese on every street corner.
Seven year olds don't get the concept of quality cuisine.
I have a feeling we'll be dining with the king of cheese tonight.
I need another donut.
Have I mentioned that I'm not good with change.
I used to think I was...but I've changed my mind.
Change just puts me into a really bad place.
A place that produces posts like this one.
For the last week I've been battling a headache.
Just a minor headache...nothing to blog about. Except nothing was touching it.
Nothing.
I tried Ty!enol.
I tried Advi!
Ty!enol and Advi!
I tried sleeping it off.
Nothing worked.
On Tuesday, Shad suggested allergy medicine.
'Why,' I asked indignantly. 'I'm not stuffy. I don't have any drainage. What's that going to do for me.?'
'Trust me,' he said.
I didn't.
I kept plugging away
Finally, last night I gave in and popped a pill.
I slept like a baby.
This morning, presto. No headache.
I guess I should listen to my doctor more often, huh? ;>)
Of course I had to dig that pill out of the bottom of the box in the dining room.
My house is trashed.
No, really.
Trashed.
I would take pictures of it just to prove it to you...but I can't find my camera.
Besides, it's too embarrassing.
And Shad just keeps making it worse.
He's been on me for the last four years to go down into our dungeon of a basement and sort through the boxes and tubs we've been dragging from one house to another for the last eighteen years.
I've put him off.
He won't be put off any longer.
He drug the first box upstairs last week.
I think he hoped the torture would force me into action.
He was right.
The only problem is, my house is seriously looking like one of those houses you see on the news where 100 cats are carted out of the house in those little cat-carriers and the pictures on the inside are enough to make your stomach turn.
Okay...it's not quite that bad.
But it's bad enough.
The carpet hasn't been vacuumed in a week.
There are dishes in the sink.
Boxes line the walls, cover the floors and are piled waist high behind the couch.
And don't even ask about my growing mountain of laundry.
I lost Nick this morning.
He fell asleep in the pile of laundry on the couch.
Hey! He was covered up with a couple of Shad's jeans and Alek's t-shirts. It could have happened to any mom!
It's so bad I'm starting to think about re-washing those clothes for fear they've become contaminated by the junk coming out of the basement.
Shad is excited.
He says the basement is almost finished.
Good. Then he can just start carting this stuff right back downstairs where it belongs until the moving truck gets here.
I don't think I can take two more weeks of this.
Two weeks.
Sigh.
Have I mentioned we don't have a place to move to yet?
Alek is really into this house hunting thing. If I could afford it I would take him with me on my exploratory trip next week. He just brought me the Wyoming version of 'Today's Real Estate' and said he found our house.
It's beautiful.
Has plenty of bedrooms.
It even has three baths.
And only costs $750K...
Yea. Right.
Your dad's a vet, sweetie. Not a physician.
Besides, the house is in Gillette...
We're not going to Gillette.
Which brings me to my next point. (Nice transition, huh? Yeah. I went to college for five years so I could write nice transitions like that on my blog.)
After my last post about moving to Wyoming I realized that I left many of you in the dark. It was intentionally so, but not really.
I'm trying to be vague about the specific location because of that whole fear of a creep reading my blog thing. But for those of you I 'know', email me privately and I'll give you the city.
Our parents live in the northern part of Colorado...we will live in the southern part of Wyoming...only two hours away. Close, but not too close. Ya know? And that's a good thing.
We think.
I just finished reading 'Russian Word for Snow' this morning. The book surfaced after Shad's mad-packing over the last couple of days.
I forgot I had it.
Shad bought the book for me on my last birthday when we were waiting for our SDA appointment date.
I got sick of looking at all the boxes, so for an escape I started reading it.
I am so glad I didn't read it last summer.
So much of the couple's journey mimics portions of each of our adoption trips. If you combine all four adoptions I could have written the same book. I'd forgotten how difficult it truly was to bring each of our kids home.
Speaking of memory problems.
Okay, it's not really problems, but it is about memory. (Hey! I needed another transition!) I'm finally working on making Finding Maddie into a book. Well...sorta.
I'm self-publishing a book just for Maddie on Blurb.
It's amazing how much I had forgotten about our journey to bring her home. Going through all of those posts and pictures brought back so many good and not-so-good memories.
Did you realize tomorrow marks the six month mark since Maddie and I got off the plane at KCI?!
Six months.
Wow.
Oh! I almost forgot...Maddie learned a new word this week.
Naughty.
Pronounced - nonnee.
Now everyone is nonnee.
Nick is nonnee.
Alek is nonnee.
Lulu (the dog) is nonnee.
All true.
The three of them have been incredibly nonnee this week.
Ah, the power of a new word.
Don't get too worried if you don't hear from me for awhile. At the rate Shad is packing this computer could disappear at any time.
Seriously, people. He's packed all of my dishes.
What I'm left with is either a hodge-podge of stuff I should really have thrown out or garage sale-d a long time ago....or a pile of paper plates which make me feel like the earth hating conservative monger that I probably am.
Eco-guilt.
Have I just coined a new phrase?
Hey! This moving malaise I'm in may be good for something after all.
I am definitely epigrammatic this morning.
At least in my own mind.
This is either the pithiest (I love that word...add it to my list Kate!) blog I've written in awhile, or I'm misusing words like pithy, eco-guilt and epigrammatic.
Either way, don't tell me.

And you guys thought you read my blog because it was entertaining!
It's informative too.
Oh, by the way...on my third trip out to the box of donuts this morning I read on the box that the donuts aren't actually powdered.
They're mini sugared donuts.

See? You learn something new everyday.
I started out with five MSDs on my paper plate at the start of that paragraph, now I'm down to two.
I bet I can finish it before I finish this blog.
See?!
I told you.

10 salty messages:

Tina in CT August 2, 2008 at 11:32 AM  

I take it your house is not going on the market until you are moved.

I don't envy your next few weeks but would help if I were closer.

The plus about packed dishes is that it means TAKE OUT.

I don't blame you for not wanting the world to know where you are moving. I don't even want it known which state I live in. I creep out at times about what my daughter blogs and nag her about it. I am so afraid of a creepy stalker.

Good luck with the house hunting, packing, not losing a child in the pile of laundry, etc.

Kathy and Matt August 2, 2008 at 1:46 PM  

Tami,
You're ability to find humor (or at least write with humor) during this stressful time is great.

I can't imagine going through what you are right now. If I had to pack up our house and move across town it would be a nightmare. Forget moving across country and without a house to move to yet.

Hang in there!

Mike & Tara August 2, 2008 at 3:15 PM  

Best of luck to you with the packing - moving may be the second most stressful thing in our lives (adoption may be the first! :o)

Rachael August 2, 2008 at 8:49 PM  

"Noddy" is a great word! I can just hear her say it too.

I don't envy you on the moving. It sucks. But...put the donuts down!! ;) No seriously...hang in there. Soon, you'll be settled in your nice, shiny, organized house. The best part of moving is starting off freshly decluttered. At least you have that to look forward to.

Christie,  August 3, 2008 at 1:48 AM  

Moving is such a pain! But the good news is the liberated feeling you have after you get rid of a whole bunch of junk. Moving is a great solution to the pack rat syndrome. Also, I think you will be surprised at the amount of trendy restaurants that have found their way into the west. Anything you can't find in your town you will definitely find a very scenic drive to the South. F.C. has just about everything these days.

One thing about living over here is that I don't have to worry so much about the stalkers. They couldn't find us in our neighborhood if they had the house number!

Anonymous,  August 3, 2008 at 9:41 AM  

I love the honesty in your posts. Thanks for taking the time to blog at such a stressful time in your life. A really large box of MSD donuts? We are friends without ever meeting.....I've been known to eat an entire 9x13 pan of ginger bars, by myself.
Catherine

MamaPoRuski August 3, 2008 at 7:16 PM  

LOL! BTW I think I have been to that town over the border. At least it's easy to get around, they have numbered their main streets all in order!
We left all our clothes in our drawers and moved them full...garbage bags work well for last minute packing as well...

kate August 4, 2008 at 6:54 AM  

I'll post my un-packing photos to make you feel better. I only have "before" ones...but who knows when "after" will actually BE? Maybe I better just photograph "Nearly After".

Tina in CT August 4, 2008 at 7:46 PM  

Forget the boxed donuts from the grocery store. Go for the good ones from Dunkin Donuts.

David and Sarah August 4, 2008 at 11:06 PM  

Hello!

I followed your journey to Maddie, but am not sure if I ever left a comment.

I was just catching up on some blogs and realized that you are going to be living close to where we live. We are in northern CO.

We have a daughter from Ukraine (which is how I originally found your blog), two kiddos from China (one more coming home soon, really, really soon, we hope) and one homegrown son.

Blessings on you and your family during these next few weeks and as you get settled into a new state and home.

Sarah

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP