Powered by Blogger.

the things you find...

Thursday, August 7, 2008

I have to start this by admitting something really horrible.
I'm not being much of a help to Shad.
I should be packing the house at the same furious pace he is, but I am managing to come up with every excuse imaginable to get out of it.
Monday night I worked late.
Tuesday was the party.
Last night I was sick with a nasty summer cold. Still am. But at least my fever is gone.
Tonight? What can I say...there is laundry to be done. (Yea. Lame I know.)
There. I feel better.
I'll eventually get into gear and start being the helpmate I'm supposed to be, but in the meantime I thought I'd tell you about some of our amazing finds this week.
A really cool thing happens when you move. The act of picking stuff up and putting it in a box has a way of revealing things that may have been hidden for years.
We've found all kinds of things this week. Things we either didn't know we had or thought we had lost a long time ago.
Here a sample of just a few of the things we found this week.
  • - Alek's mp3 player. He was grounded from it while we were on vacation in May. The bad thing was we hid it in a spot so remote, we had even forgotten where it was. The poor kid hasn't been able to listen to it in three months! Alek pulled it out of the back of the sofa table today. So THAT'S where it was! :) Maybe the disappearing act will teach him a better lesson than the original grounding.
  • - A six pack of Zest soap. I've been using body wash for several years now. Longer, I believe, than the four years we've lived in this house. Shad, uses the manly kind - you know...Old Spice something or other and the kids have their Suave version. So where did the bars of soap come from? Who knows? And who knows what I'll do with it?
  • - A box of unused checks from an account we closed 10 years ago. Now, why on earth didn't we shred those ten years ago is beyond me.
  • - A Rubik Cube. I haven't seen one of those in YEARS. I forgot we even had one. The kids LOVE it and take turns arguing over who gets to play it next. Even Maddie. And I'm pretty sure she doesn't have a clue as to what it is.
  • - A metal A-1 Tank pencil sharperner - Don't even ask. I don't know. Have no idea. Not sure what I'll do with it.
That's one thing about moving. It forces you to clean out all kinds of clutter and brings all kinds of odd things to the surface. Everyone should give it a try every few years.
Go ahead - give it a try.
But feel free to start without me.
I hear a pile of laundry calling my name.

10 salty messages:

Tina in CT August 7, 2008 at 10:42 PM  

Things are good at your house as you haven't lost one of the kids under a pile of laundry.

I would rather die than have to sort and start packing. I've lived here 31 years. I could never part with my boxes of gift bags and boxes of gift boxes. I have a "store" under the eaves and in the attic.

When do you fly out to Wyoming to house hunt?

I just can't imagine sorting and packing up in a month besides working full time.

MamaPoRuski August 7, 2008 at 10:48 PM  

Just view it as wrapping presents you will all be excited to unwrap later...kind of like the Christmas Eve rush!

Courtney August 8, 2008 at 8:16 AM  

That is one of my favorite parts of moving--throwing stuff out! Things that we've hung onto "just in case" suddenly don't merit enough importance to move halfway across the country. I used to be a packrat, but through several moves I've discovered the joy of purging stuff, so moving always brings me great joy! ;)

jessy August 8, 2008 at 12:05 PM  

It is so interesting that we are going through a move at the same time. I haven't packed the first box yet. I guess I'm in denial? Maybe this post will inspire me....

Tina in CT August 8, 2008 at 2:31 PM  

Is today your last day at work?

Tami August 8, 2008 at 6:26 PM  

Nope. Monday is my last day. The reason for it enough fodder for another post, but let's just suffice it by saying in order to receive ALL of my PTO pay, I have to be there five years. Monday is my fifth anniversary. Of course I only have 30 hours of PTO saved up after the adoption and my mother-in-law's health scare. I'm kicking myself that I didn't make it today and just say to heck with the extra 8 hours! :)

Gail August 8, 2008 at 9:38 PM  

Having a flooded basement will do the same thing. At least for one floor.
Gail

Rachael August 10, 2008 at 6:27 AM  

I'm scared to know what I might find!

Happy packing!

Drew Michelle and Luke Paras August 10, 2008 at 9:27 PM  

I think that is why I get the itch to move every 3 years. I hate clutter and feel the need to purge!

Happy packing!

Courtney August 11, 2008 at 3:21 PM  

Happy last day of work! :)

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP