Powered by Blogger.

hitting the gridiron

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Alek has wanted to play football since he first learned about the game at the age of two. (Shad started working on him early).
During the fall, the boy talks of nothing else.

And this was finally going to be the year. He had finally reached the magical age where we would let him play...and what did we do?
Moved.
Right during football tryouts.
So imagine his surprise, and mine, when two days before we moved, as I was googling our new hometown, I found a football program for kids his age.

I signed him up to play right away.
Yep. I think you can label me as insane!
The best part was...Alek didn't know anything about it.

Unbeknownst to Q-ball, I found his cleats, shorts and a T, and then a mere four hours after unloading the U-Hau!, told Alek to get changed. We were going to football practice. You should have seen the look on his face!
Alek has enjoyed just about every minute of it. He's not getting to play a whole lot - since it's his first year he still has a lot to learn.
But he's learning.
These pictures are from his game last Thursday...his team won 28-7!
Alek plays mostly defense...thankfully, he's in the backfield - usually as a safety or linebacker. As you can see from these pics he's a little undersized...the linemen are HUGE!
But he's having a ton of fun!


sage brush diairies - hitting the gridiron

4 salty messages:

Elaine September 29, 2008 at 12:54 PM  

Are you sure they don't have him playing high schoolers? I'd be scared to death.

Tami September 29, 2008 at 2:26 PM  

Oh, believe me. I'm scared. Shad says I need to let Q learn to be a man. Ack! If I hear that one more time I'll scream!
Anyway, the league is for 4th - 6th graders...and as you know, there can be alot of disparity in sizes with these kids. Q is in 5th grade, but we should have held him back another year. He is a May birthday and would have been better served by waiting an extra year. (First time mother's mistake) He's the size of the 4th graders. He's holding his own though. He's one of the fastest kids on the team - which serves him well when running away from these Goliaths! (I think their moms held them back and they should be in junior high!)

Ceeseelee September 30, 2008 at 12:43 AM  

Just a warning, one of these days, he is going to get pummeled by one of those big guys, and you are going to find it hard to breathe. Whatever happens do not go running out on to the field.:)It's hard to see your son getting the stuffing knocked out of him, but I guess it's a rite of passage. AJ played while we were in Colorado, and sometimes it was hard to watch. MC wants to play football at BHS next year. I am not sure how I feel about it. At least he's a big guy.

Tina in CT September 30, 2008 at 7:21 PM  

Love the way you told your son about his playing football. His reaction must have been priceless. How are you holding up?

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP