Powered by Blogger.

hmmm....

Friday, September 19, 2008

Okay....so nobody got the whole Sunflower thing.

That tells me one of two things...
Either I really stink at coming up with meaningful blog names OR...
I'm just so gifted no one can reach my depth of genius.
Yea. I thought so. Doesn't matter. I'm still stuck on the name thing.
Maybe I'm still feeling discombobulated from the move (I love that word!)...maybe that's what is making me tired of the whole Sunflower thing. But then I think about what Bethany said in her comment and realize that yes, our family started there. It grew there.
Hmmmm....
Okay. I'm going to put out some options.
Tell me which ones you prefer.
As the author of this blog, I reserve the right make up my own mind, but I do want to hear your thoughts. So here ya are...
  1. Sunflower Seeds - keep it the same. The family started there...we're just transplanted. Besides, there's that whole Russian proverb thing...and Russia and Ukraine are both BIG producers of Sunflowers. So it all fits.
  2. Sage Brush and Sunflower Seeds - mix the two. I kind of like the 'sage brush part' - kind of invokes a sense of wisdom. HA!
  3. Tumbleweeds - It's windy here. REALLY windy. And there are tumbleweeds EVERYWHERE. But then again, we're not the type of family to be tossed around by the wind. Hmmmm...
  4. 4. Mountain Climbers - those who know us personally will get this little play on words AND geography. Those of you who don't know us IRL - email me and I'll let you in on it.
Any other suggestions? I'm still open to any and all ideas. I'll wait through the weekend (and maybe Monday) for your responses and then I'll fill you in on the results.
For those of you who lurk - and rarely comment - I'm looking for your suggestions too. It's really easy to comment. Just click on the comment button at the bottom of this post and it will open another window. Just type away!
Thanks for the help!

23 salty messages:

Melissa E. September 19, 2008 at 6:58 PM  

"Together it's cramped, apart it's boring."

-Another Russian proverb.
Doesn't help you much but I thought it was funny. :-)

Good luck and happy thinking!

jessy September 19, 2008 at 7:28 PM  

I'll admit, I never put sunflower seeds together with your home state. I just gave you points for knowing a great Russian proverb and applying it to your kids. So, I'm for option number one.

Christina September 19, 2008 at 7:35 PM  

I like the sagebrush one - kind of deep and poetic at the same time. :-)
Thanks for you comment on my blog today - crazy how nervous I was about posting that, but now I'm glad to know that God was able to use my babbles to help others. :)

Jill September 19, 2008 at 8:13 PM  

I like the idea of seeds in your blogname. Seeds grow - we are all growing each day. Some sage might not hurt, though. ;o)

SG September 19, 2008 at 9:15 PM  

Well I like " Moving Mountains" Not that you are mountains, but you moved to them. You also had to have a faith that "moved mountains" to get those babies. But I just like that MM phrase. I'm actually painting it on my sons wall.

Ceeseelee September 19, 2008 at 9:39 PM  

Okay, I totally got your sunflower theme as it related to where you were living. As for a new name, even though I mentioned tumbleweeds because I have first hand knowledge of them, afterwards even I didn't think it was that great of a suggestion. Like you said they are too transient. I don't have one to give you at the moment, but I'll think on it for a while.

Diana September 19, 2008 at 10:26 PM  

I'm highly allergic to sage brush and there's nothing spetacular about tumble weeds, especially when they get stuck under your car. Tee-hee-hee. Can you tell I'm a western girl myself? :-)

I quite like the whole sunflower thing myself...but I quite like sunflowers in most forms. But, I'll still keep reading no matter what you decide.

I totally get the whole name thing, though. I obsessed for a week over the name of mine. In fact, I started 3 different blogs, played with the colors and finally went with one that wasn't even my original favorite...yet it is so very fitting for our life. It pretty much just encompasses everything.

Tina in CT September 19, 2008 at 11:03 PM  

#1 - Your family of little seeds started there and sunflowers are so beautiful. They grow tall and strong and aren't prissy.

I never even put sunflowers and KS together either.

Lucky Mom September 20, 2008 at 6:18 AM  

Okay,I am a lurker....I like Sage Brush and Sunflower Seeds...I also thought that the original sunflower seeds was from the Russian Proverb and didn't get the "sunflower state" association ...I think this brings in the two!

Anonymous,  September 20, 2008 at 10:45 AM  

hi there :) *de-lurking myself*

i also didnt make the connection between sunfowers and your home state.. i just figured it went with the russian proverb..

sooo my vote is to keep the original name... i always found it to be cute and clever

A Life Full of Love September 20, 2008 at 1:02 PM  

I like Sunflower Seeds just fine!

www.melodyanddoug.blogspot.com

MamaPoRuski September 20, 2008 at 2:15 PM  

Mountain Climbers and Sunflower seeds... Sowing up/from the Mountain? We will love whatever you choose!

MoscowMom September 20, 2008 at 2:38 PM  

I like the sagebrush/sunflower one, but keeping the title as you've had it works well, too.

MoscowMom September 20, 2008 at 2:40 PM  

I think the translation would need to be "All seeds know their time" or "Every seed knows its time" to make the subject/verb agree. I'm such a geek. I actually stay awake at night pondering grammar.

Kristen September 20, 2008 at 3:06 PM  

I like "Sagebrush and Sunflower Seeds", for reasons already mentioned by others and by you. I also never got the "Sunflower state" thing. I was following your blog when I thought a trip to Ukraine was imminent for our family and you were bringing home "Maddie"; now I just am hooked! You are a great writer, and I enjoy hearing about some of the things my family might face in the future. Plus your kids are just so darn cute! Thanks for sharing your life with us...

Kathy and Matt September 20, 2008 at 3:45 PM  

I've always thought the Sunflower Seeds was related to the Russian proverb plus the sunflowers that are some commone in Ukraine.

I'd stick with it.

Anonymous,  September 20, 2008 at 4:50 PM  

I thought maybe Weeds & Seeds for short, but that made me think of the Weed & Seed program the police department put into place for midtown St. Joe. Then I knew that every time I would see it I would think of that instead of your family.
I love the original title!!
Heather S. in St. Joe

Anonymous,  September 21, 2008 at 9:08 AM  

'Sunflower Seeds' is such a beautiful tribute to your children's heritage. Although you've moved from the sunflower state, you have 4 beautiful sunflowers growing in your home. Although they will grow and change, meeting new challenges and fighting old insecurities, they were planted in Eastern Europe, then transplanted. I vote for #1, if you haven't guessed.
Catherine

Old DAN AND Little ANN September 21, 2008 at 11:18 AM  

I like the one you've got! Always have.

Sarah Halter September 21, 2008 at 9:59 PM  

Personally, I'd stick with Sundflower Seeds. If you really want to change it, I'd pick the sage brush and sunflower seeds.

DoveFamily September 22, 2008 at 12:03 PM  

I always thought the sunflowers were tied to the Russian proverb. And over time, I've come to know your family as the Sunflower Seeds. Might be a little sad to think you as anything else :)

Anonymous,  September 22, 2008 at 1:07 PM  

really off the blog subject, but was just wondering if your family had to make a big adjustment going from a two income family to just one.in some of your previous blogs you seemed alittle nervous about being out of a job.just wondering how staying home with the kids was working for you all.

Elaine September 22, 2008 at 8:38 PM  

I like Sunflower Seeds best, but if you change it to the Sagebrush one I'd shorten it to "Sagebrush and Sunflowers". Actually, I really, really like that one.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP