Powered by Blogger.

the compromise

Friday, October 10, 2008

Now before you go thinking Shad and I are totally incompatable and doomed for relationship failure, let me assure you...we've been happily married for 19 years.
Yea.
Nineteen!
And counting!
That's more than half of my lifetime
(we were married 16 days after my 19th birthday - I think I've officially been married longer than I've not been married now.)...and we dated for five years before that (all through high school)...so I think we know each other pretty well.
Yes, we come from different worlds.
Yes, we we rarely agree on anything.
And yes, we are known to have lively discussions.
But you know what?
It works. We are the perfect compliments to each other...and we're smart enough to know it.
Shad is a pessimist - he prefers the term 'realist.'
I'm an optimist - he calls me the dreamer.
He is calm, cool and collected.
I'm animated, emotional and hot-headed.
He is hard-working, fun-loving and stubborn.
I'm more relaxed, serious and stubborn.
Oh, wait! I guess we do have something in common. ;>)
Over the last 24 years we have become expert compromisers.
(I personally think as a couple we could help mediate so many of the world's crisis...if only they would call us! :)
And every so often I'll throw him curve-ball and do the whole 'submissive wife' thing.
Actually, I'm trying to be better about it, but I have to admit, it DOES NOT come naturally to me. The women in my family are anything BUT submissive. Just ask any one of us. We know it is what we are SUPPOSED to do Biblically...but we are nowhere near where God wants us to be on that one! ;>)
Thankfully, God loves us anyway.
And so do our husbands.


sunflower seeds - the compromise

3 salty messages:

Elaine October 13, 2008 at 7:20 PM  

Submissive wife? Huh? Yeah, yeah, I know . . . but I do question the authenticity of the translation of the Bible from its original text when it comes to things like that. While I don't think God wants us to be nagging harpies, I also don't think he wants us to be doormats, you know? But you guys have a relationship that works for both of YOU, and that is FANTASTIC!

Ceeseelee October 14, 2008 at 5:15 AM  

I don't know what makes you thinkt he women in our family struggle with submissiveness. I personally never struggle with it, and always do exactly as my husband tells me to. ;)Yeah Right!

Troy and Rachel October 14, 2008 at 2:58 PM  

I am also working on trying to be more submissive because I'm usually the really stubborn one. I've noticed though that men need to be pumped up and their egos boosted in order to be the best they can be. It's hard though - don't I know it!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP