Powered by Blogger.

conversations with a four-year-old

Friday, October 17, 2008

I've mentioned how incredibly verbal and demonstrative Maddie is. How she talks a mile a minute with her hands flailing in every direction.
But I've never shown you...

Until now.
Here is a conversation I had with Maddie this morning after we returned from Bible study. It's pretty typical of all of my conversations with her. I can rarely understand much of what she is saying...but it is, oh so much fun to watch her!

Give her a minute to warm up. It takes awhile for the hands to start flailing, but by the time she's done, she could have knocked someone out!
Enjoy! ;>)
(BTW - Yes, I do comb my daughter's hair...EVERY DAY...several TIMES a day! :) But you have to remember...WE NOW LIVE IN WYOMING! There is no point in combing hair...it's just going to get messed up the minute you walk out the door. However, after viewing this and the last four videos of Maddie, I have decided I need to keep a comb attached to my camera. At least she'll look like I'm taking proper care of her. ;>)



12 salty messages:

Kathy and Matt October 17, 2008 at 2:24 PM  

She does get those arms moving! At least she's enthusiastic about what she's talking about. LOL!

I can totally relate to your challenges with her hair. My older daughter is constantly moving -- running, climbing, jumping, etc. and her hair always looks like it has never been combed, even though we do constantly.

Christina October 17, 2008 at 3:38 PM  

Check her out! She sure has a lot to say! I totally did that with my kids "Yeah? Tell me more..." and people would always think I actually had a clue what they were saying. It cracked me up.

MamaPoRuski October 17, 2008 at 6:39 PM  

Precious! I bet she's a kinetic learner too! Hard not to get excited with her, even if you aren't quite sure what she's saying!

Rachael October 17, 2008 at 9:29 PM  

So cute!! She is really animated.

I have no idea what she said though! :)

Annie October 17, 2008 at 9:30 PM  

Tami - she is so amazingly adorable and cute. I see why those teachers wanted to get their hands on her! I'd love to have a dose of Maddie each day!

jessy October 18, 2008 at 7:40 AM  

He, he, he! My six year old came over to the video, and said..."I cannot understand a single word she is saying." But he was smiling, too.

Colette October 19, 2008 at 8:58 AM  

Well done Maddie!

Tami it's wonderful that she's so eager to share with you and so excitable. Your videos always make me smile.

Susan October 19, 2008 at 10:59 AM  

The speakers aren't working on my creaky old computer, so I had to rely on visual clues alone in watching Maddie's enthusiasm. It looked to me as if she was using a number of signs and a little finger-spelling - can you confirm??

I thought I saw (near the beginning) the sign for "eat" and the letter "e" - did she have a snack at Bible study? I also saw what looked like "dance" (two fingers "dancing" in the palm of the other hand), which along with the skirt-held-out gestures might indicate a simple dancing game or similar activity. The arms held high and wide indicated "big" to me (actually, make that "BIG!!", in light of all the enthusiasm!) I'm not sure what this referred to (and forgotten a lot of the signs I once knew or might have recognized more - the fists pounding together, one on top of the other, surely are a sign, but I can't recall the meaning), but Maddie obviously had a delightful time and was very happy to share her experiences. She is such an expressive little girl.

Best wishes,
Susan in Ky

Tina in CT October 20, 2008 at 8:16 AM  

It shows how she had a good time. Are you sure she's not from Italy with all the hand gestures as she talks?

Lynda October 21, 2008 at 10:20 PM  

What fun!! Do you ever wonder if she could talk if you tied her hands behind her back?? Whatever she was saying, she obviously had a great time! Love ya

MoonDog April 16, 2009 at 4:39 PM  

wow! look at her go! cute cute cute! she understands you very well it seems. will her speech improve over time?

MoonDog April 16, 2009 at 4:40 PM  

wow! look at her go! cute cute cute! she seems to understand you quite well. I remember when Ethan came home from Russia, he was JUSt two and everyone wanted to know if he spoke Russian. I was thinking, how do I know? I dont speak Russian!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP