Powered by Blogger.

how many times...

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

This had better not be one of those 70 times 7 answers, because at this point I'm not up to it. How many times do I have to tell the kids...(and NO, I'm not just saying Maddie here) the following before they start to listen?

  • Please, don't wipe your hands on your shirt - that's what the napkin is for.
  • {Insert child's name here} close your mouth when you chew.
  • (Boys) Have you washed your hands? - Get back in that bathroom and get them washed NOW!
  • Stop messing around and eat!
  • Get your coat on, it's 10 degrees outside.
  • Stop messing around and GO TO SLEEP.
  • No running in the house!
  • No ball throwing in the house!
  • Don't talk with your mouth full.
  • For heaven's sake, use a spoon!
  • {Insert child's name here} come get your shoes out of the middle of the stairs.
  • For crying out loud - pick your underwear up off the floor and put it in the hamper.
  • No, you may not have cookies before supper.
  • No you can not watch TV, you need to finish your homework first.
  • I don't care if your friends are wearing sweats to school, you will be wearing jeans. No sweats, jeans. I will not have you looking like you just got out of bed!
  • Have you brushed your teeth? Get it done.
  • Did you comb your hair? Get it done.
  • Where's your backpack - well, find it. It is your responsilibity to keep track of it.
  • Stop eating with your hands...that's what God made forks for.
  • Keep your hands out of your hair (girls), that's how you get the food stuck in there that we have to wash/comb out each night.
  • Stop chewing your nails. Stop it. Stop it. Stop it.
  • UGH! BOYS! Who was in here last and didn't put the seat down?!
  • Does the hand towel belong on the floor? Please pick it up.
  • Swallow before you put more food in that mouth.

Boy, now that I've typed it, I sound like a real nag, don't I? ;>) But I know I'm not alone. What am I missing?

13 salty messages:

Courtney October 28, 2008 at 1:30 PM  

Ahhh...like music to my ears. You've obviously been listening in on our house. ;)

Audrey October 28, 2008 at 2:40 PM  

HaHa! Great list. I think I'll print it out for reference when I feel like getting after someone!!

The Pabsts October 28, 2008 at 4:25 PM  

Check out this link. But pee first, you don't want to leak on the seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGoelj7l668

It's hilarious.

Anonymous,  October 28, 2008 at 5:08 PM  

You forgot my all-time personal favorite: ZIP YOUR PANTS!!!
Am I not correct in saying that snap and zip go together as 1 step? I don't understand forgetting to zip.
Three generations of Sturtz's have been victim to this forgetfulness. (my father-in-law once preached an entire sermon at my church with his pants unzipped!!)
Honestly Tami, I am just happy as a clam to know that I am not the only one who is repeating these things on a daily basis!! I know for a fact that I tell my son not to wipe his hands on his shirt EVERY time we eat.
Hang in there, soon they will grow up and you won't have to tell them anymore (their spouses will :-P)
Heather S.

jessy October 28, 2008 at 8:32 PM  

Hmmm...seems pretty complete to me. I think the ball throwing thing has come up before on your blog. Maybe it is time that they lose every ball that they throw. Pretty soon there won't be any left, and you won't have to repeat yourself any more. Oh, and this is how I cured my girls of sticking things/twisting/chewing hair. When I saw them, I didn't say a word, I took the piece in their hands and cut it off with the kitchen scissors. Cured it real quick.

Tami October 28, 2008 at 8:49 PM  

Yea. I don't think I'd have to do it twice! If you need me I'll be sharpening my scissors and throwing balls away.

Tina in CT October 28, 2008 at 9:26 PM  

I gasped about the hair cutting. I could never do that. I'd have to think of another solution.

Your list is one mothers have been saying for years. Some things never change.

Can't imagine what the congregation must have thought about the minister's unzipped pants.

kate October 29, 2008 at 2:03 AM  

At school I always follow up the "Did you flush and wash?" question (they always say yes) with "WITH SOAP?" You'd be amazed how many children turn around and walk right back out. Every. time.

kate October 29, 2008 at 2:07 AM  

Tami, delete this is you want, because I know this was a light-hearted post and not a plea for help.

But.

I think you can cut down on your statements if they are more enforceable. Think about what you can DO.

I will listen to you when there is no food in your mouth.

Do you want to wear your coat or carry it?


(This is Love and Logic--both loving and logical. There's a lot more but I think I've highjacked enough!)

Karya October 29, 2008 at 5:42 AM  

You forgot: Get your finger out of your nose!

But, otherwise you were very complete and very familiar. And it's not just boys who don't wash their hands!

Christine October 29, 2008 at 9:32 AM  

LOL--- we are like broken records, sigh. I say the same things.

Drew, Michelle, Luke and Tetyana October 29, 2008 at 9:50 AM  

I have been meaning to post our recent ball story at our house! I think I may just print out your list and have my children read it each morning! Perhaps tape it to their beds!!!

Yes, make sure you add the finger in the nose....and for God sakes, don't eat it!!!!

mixednutsblog October 29, 2008 at 9:09 PM  

That sounds just like my house! Especially the parts about wiping hands on the shirts (W~ is horrible about that) and not lifting the toilet seat (ewwwww!). I feel like a drill sargeant halft the time. I just follow people around issuing orders!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP