Powered by Blogger.

meet and greet

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I did it!
I made some new friends.
Last Friday Maddie and I went to a Bible study at our church. I didn't have great expectations for the group. I figured the few women that would be there, would be way out of my demographic. But I was bound and determined to get out there and start meeting people.
And I'm glad I did. Boy, was I wrong!
I walked in the door to find lots of women and was most of them were my age - or had kids who were my age and in a couple of cases - both. (and that's hard to do.)
Woohoo!
And the Bible Study was good too. Guess what it was on?
We talked about letting go of self so God can work through us. You know. Letting go of our pride, pre-conceived notions about how things are supposed to work and all that stuff, so God can use us for His will.
Hmmm...pretty appropriate for the mood I've been in lately, isn't it?
Anyway...
Since I was the only newbie, they had me introduce myself. Thankfully, they didn't do the whole go around the room and tell her your name thing, because there's no way I would have EVER remembered anyone's name. Except for the leader. She is Maddie's occupational therapist.
Nope. I'm not kidding. How cool is that? I didn't even know she went to our church.
I told our spiel. Four kids, 10 and under. I'm a recovering journalist trying to stay home but coming to grips with the fact I may have to return to the workforce, and when I mentioned what Shad did for a living several of them started asking - 'Oh, is he the new vet out at xxx?'
Freaked me out a little until I realized they were all animal lovers, are clients at my husband's clinic and read the newspaper about Shad a few weeks ago.
And one of them is a vet who used to work at the same clinic.
Talk about weird.
Anyway...Maddie and I had a great time visiting with the ladies, then afterwards came home for lunch.
While Maddie was taking her afternoon nap, the phone rang. It was Heather - the former vet.
'I know it's late notice,' she said, but would you like to come to a jewelry party at my house tonight?'
I couldn't say 'yes' fast enough.
Adult conversation.
Adult food.
And I could get out of the house!
BY MYSELF!
It was heaven.
I sat there for two hours talking, eating, laughing and looking at jewelry I had no business looking at, let alone buying.
And I loved it! :)
I even weaseled my way into an invitation for a Pampered Chef party. AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW THE WOMAN!
Sigh. I'm turning into a direct-sales part hussy. But I don't care! Whatever it takes...besides, she's probably desperate to fill her invitation list! :)
I met seven women...all of whom aren't native Wyoming-ans (is that a word?). There were even two or three from Kansas.
I have names...cell phone numbers...
and invitations for play-dates with Maddie.
I had hit the new friend jackpot!
Wait!
It gets better.
Monday the kids had the day off. The teachers needed a break I guess. That morning I got another phone call that morning from Heather - some of the moms from church were planning to take their kids swimming at the rec center - did we want to come along?
Are you kidding me?
What time?
Where it is?
I'm there!
We had a great time. Turns out the rec center has a GREAT indoor water park - like nothing I'd ever seen in a community facility before.
The kids made new friends.
I made new friends.
And we got to spend three hours out of the house having fun.
Things may be finally turning around in the friend department.
Now I just need to return the favor and start inviting people to do things with us. That's a little easier said than done. Shad's not much of a party animal and I have to tell you Heather's house is AWESOME - a brand spanking new jobbie with waaaaay too much room.
My little three bedroomer is straight out of the 70's suburbs. It resembles a cracker jack box...especially next to hers. But in the name of new friendships I will swallow my house-pride and figure something out.
YEA. I know.
I'm not supposed to be worried about appearances.
What can I say? I'm not perfect.
I'm still working on that part of the Bible Study lesson.

7 salty messages:

Anonymous,  October 23, 2008 at 1:56 PM  

Yeah for friends.

I have a friend who has this gorgeous, Martha Stewart-ish house, always impeccably clean, and I always cringe and grit my teeth when I invite her over to my house, so I know how you feel! I have a nice, beautiful, relatively new house, my problem is just that it is also inhabited by 4 kids and too many pets! Not too much impeccability going on over here! lol.

~Rachael

The Pabsts October 23, 2008 at 3:37 PM  

Yea! That's exciting! One get-together idea that the ladies where we used to live did: Project Night. It started as scrapbook night, but not everybody did that, so everybody brought whatever they needed to work on...I brought a quilt to fix where some of the patches were coming undone. It's nice because it's very casual, put some snacks out and invite the ladies over for when the kids are in bed. That way there's no pressure to provide a party atmosphere, and you all get something done. Just a thought. Good luck with all of it!
-Bethany

Tina in CT October 23, 2008 at 5:21 PM  

Take a step back and rethink this. You met these women at a BIBLE study group and not an exclusive country club. If they are devoted church goers, material things like that should not matter. As long as your house is relatively clean so they aren't afraid to have a cup of coffee or tea and a nibbly, I'm sure you will be fine (IMO).

How fantastic that you met so many people, got to a jewelry party, an invitation to a Pampered Chef party, the swim center, etc. That is fantastic and I'm so glad that you are on your way. You haven't been in town that long and already people know about Shad and you've now got some ladies to do things with.

You have Maddie on her way and I'd say that you've done well girl.

Happy for you!

Elaine October 23, 2008 at 9:50 PM  

Congrats on all the friend finding! That's great. The direct sales parties -- I have a friend who calls them "buy a friend parties." Cracks me up! Lately I've been "buying" friends through Signature Homestyles. I'd never heard of that one, but if you can find someone in your area who sells it, invite all your new friends over for one of those!

Lori Ann October 24, 2008 at 4:12 PM  

Is it legal to get out of the house without any kids? Just hearing that you get to do it brightens my day!

Christina October 25, 2008 at 8:12 PM  

Wow, you are not kidding. Talk about the friend-jackpot! Way to go getting out there and taking the first steps. And good for jumping on invites too - I have this bad tendency of avoiding last minute invitations because I'm such a homebody.
Sounds like you are really settling in!

Troy and Rachel October 26, 2008 at 10:07 AM  

That's fantastic Tami! I am so glad you put yourself out there and are enjoying some adult time!!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP