Powered by Blogger.

the verdict is in

Thursday, October 2, 2008

I'm going back to work.

Either I find some freelance work, quickly...or I re-enter the real world at least part-time.
Shad got his check today, and while it would have been more than enough in Kansas...it's not enough for Wyoming. What's sad is that we're close...but not close enough. If I get rid of the luxury items, we still won't have any wiggle room for necessities like clothing, tires, dog food...
And we kind of need those things.
The truth is its the little things that nailed us. If we wouldn't have had the trip to the emergency room, we could have probably limped along for awhile. But without the insurance to cover it, we don't have enough money left at the end of the bills.
Shad's truck needs tires - the cords are starting to show.
Alek's trumpet bill comes due next month.
Anya needs to see an endocrinologist for a checkup.
Nick is going through a growing spurt and needs new jeans.
We're still paying two sets of utility bills. Even though they're not costing much - they add up. And winter is looming.
Sigh.
Utopia was too good to be true.
Thanks to all of you for the freelance writing tips. I'm scouring the Internet, checking out those and others all in the hopes of delaying what may be inevitable. The insurance thing looks like it is going to end up being a BIG issue, which eventually could force me back to work full-time.
Kids have a tendency to hurt themselves and get sick...and we HAVE to have the freedom to be able to take them to the doctor. I've already found myself putting visits off in hopes things will correct themselves or I will find a home remedy. Nothing huge. Stuff like allergy induced bloody noses...actually allergies in general. (We didn't have a problem with them until we moved here, now all of them are fighting it one way or another.) I can dose the kids up on Benedry!, but certainly don't want to do it long term without talking to a doctor. We're using humidifiers to help with the bloody noses, but the kids are still miserable. And if one of the kids really get sick I don't want to have to worry about how we're going to pay for the office visit.
That's no way to live.
If I can get some freelance income and do some substitute teaching every once in awhile, we may be able to build up the health savings account.
It's the plan anyway.
In the meantime I keep working to lower our overhead, and surf the Internet like mad woman trying to find some work.
Unfortunately, there's not much chance of winning an appeal.

8 salty messages:

Kelsey October 2, 2008 at 8:52 PM  

Hi,
I found your blog a while back while I was researching Ukraine adoption and I've been following it ever since. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I know it must be hard to worry about financial things and that I said a prayer for you that God will find you a great freelance job.
Best to you,
Kelsey

MamaPoRuski October 2, 2008 at 9:41 PM  

O Tami! Sorry I've had my head buried in my own issues to see your last two posts! I tried www.hiremymom.com for a while (three month subscription for $30). It sends you real leads the kicker is you still have to apply for them. There are some good ones on there, just hard to get something started!
You are in my thoughts and prayers! HUGS! (PS: did I send you the insurance gap grant website through the physician's assistants group?

Tina in CT October 2, 2008 at 10:27 PM  

Any leads on the sale of the Kansas house so you'll be relieved of a double mortgage and expenses? You mention getting a PT job. Are there that many good paying ones out there? I know it's not the route you want to go and wish things were different for you. Good health care insurance is so important and especially with a big family.

Old DAN AND Little ANN October 3, 2008 at 2:01 AM  

I can see why you need to work. It is not the verdict you wanted to reach. Maybe it can just be for a season. Besides, you are too gifted to 'hide your light under a bushel' forever. I hope you find a good (well paying)outlet for your gift.

Debbie B October 3, 2008 at 5:42 AM  

I'm right there with you. I've been looking for something for awhile now. Would prefer PT but then I have to think about the cost of daycare.

nicwilson80 October 5, 2008 at 11:29 AM  

I know it's hard to think about and I'm not sure it's even an option for you, but have you thought about Governmental assistance? I had to when I found out about Reme. It's hard at first because you are afraid about "lowering your standards" but honestly, the better way to look at it is: you're not sitting on the couch just collecting money, Shad is working but there is just not enough to go around. Even if you could get Medicaid for the kids to help make sure their medical needs are taken care of. You and Shad will not qualify but the kids may, especially since they are adopted. It's just a thought.

SG October 9, 2008 at 1:48 AM  

We have had a paper route for five years. It is hard work and is 365 days a year. It's hard to find subs at times, but it has kept me home. We make a little over $1200 a month. It's from 1AM to 3, or sometimes 4AM. We can sleep when the kids are grown. Right? Good luck to you!

Annie October 10, 2008 at 8:55 AM  

Hi. I hate to say, but it is "nice" to find someone else stressed out about money. It isn't a good feeling, but worse when it seems like everyone else has no worries.

I have taken an extra job teaching "phone English". I work with Koreans, but I almost took a similar job teaching Russians. It can be done in your robe early in the morning. Doesn't bring in a ton of money, but enough to help!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

joy of adoption




Networked Blog Followers

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP